REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Never Say Never (aka: Stanbery is Psychic)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Never Say Never (aka: Stanbery is Psychic)

Postby Papasequoia » June 2nd, 2009, 12:10 pm

Ok, so, you know the old saying about never say never, right?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=701

Well, I was browsing the Kern forum the other day and I saw that a user named 'Craig' (not our Craig) had very recently posted about float tubes for sale. He had three tubes, they were very inexpensive and free for kids. The post had only been viewed a few times, so I sent him a PM, said I was interested in buying one, and that if he didn't sell them all that I had two kids who would be interested. Well, very shortly after that, the post was removed by an administrator (bless them) because it was forbidden to sell things there, so I got an email from Craig saying that the tubes were mine if I would pay for mine and shipping for all three. And that is how, through some kind of crack in the space-time continuum, or a cosmic shift opening up an alternative universe, I became the owner of a float tube. (Just keep on walking, Stanbery, no "Itoljasos" allowed). :lol:

So, now I need a bit of advice please. I assume that using swim fins is de rigueur? I am also going to need an air pump or two (one foot, one that runs off of the car cig lighter? Just guessing). Any recommendations on brands and/or places to buy, preferably online since we are so isolated? I happened to be in Sports Chalet in Palmdale yesterday and in anticipation looked at swim fin prices and they didn't have anything under about $90. Is that about right? :!: :!: :!:

Anything else that I will need? I should mention that one is a Wood River Stealth Rider, one is made by Caddis but I don't know the model, and one is unlabeled. The post was removed so quickly I didn't get a chance to write down the model names and haven't heard back from Craig yet. However, I can't really think of anything else I might need?

Any general advice for a noob in a tube? Someone wrote in a recent post that you should exit the water backwards, but didn't say why. Any other tidbits like that?

I don't know if Craig will see this, although I did pass on the site address. However, I would like to mention that Craig is a professional photographer who works out of Dana Point, so if you have any needs for such services, (wedding pics maybe?) please consider giving him a call. His web address is

http://www.craigdinsdalephotography.com/

Thanks for any tips/advice? Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Never Say Never (aka: Stanbery is Psychic)

Postby rayfound » June 2nd, 2009, 12:15 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
Any general advice for a noob in a tube? Someone wrote in a recent post that you should exit the water backwards, but didn't say why. Any other tidbits like that?

Because while walking in flippers is hard backwards... its almost impossible forwards uphill. (As is coming out of a lake/pond)
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Wildman » June 2nd, 2009, 12:18 pm

Lord knows I am no expert but here is a few things I have learned. You can buy Caddis fins for about $25 but they don't work as well as Force Fins which cost around $140. They are the most efficient and will reduce cramping. If you are planning on using the tube extensively.....make the investment. You will never regret it.

You walk backwards into the water because of the resistance of the fins if you try to walk forwards. I suggest you walk forward with fins once in a place with soft landings....you'll see what I mean.

WalMart sells a manual pump that pumps air on both strokes for under $30. If you hike in, you'll carry that with you.

Get a patch kit and carry that. Things happen and they come in handy. Check how well your tube holds air the night before you go. Ask me how I know. :D

The really serious guys have battery operated fish finders by Hummingbird and others.

Use the heck out of it. They really are fun.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby castaway » June 2nd, 2009, 12:30 pm

This could be interesting

Ok Jon.... Do not try and float down a creek that is 3 feet wide..you will only get wedged between two rocks.

Your legs go in the middle of it... and your head is supposed to be out of the water.... do not fill it with scotch, or blueberry crumble - it is not a newfangled beer bong.

I know I know... But its a whole new ball game.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby briansII » June 2nd, 2009, 1:59 pm

That Wood River Stealthrider was a top of the line float tube. It's discontinued, but has a cult following.....I know, I own one.

Don't fill your float tube with air at sea level, and drive to an alpine lake. It'll do the same thing a bag of potato chips does. EXPAND!! The noise will be something you'll never forget.

Ditto the Force Fin rec. If you plan to cover some water in your tubes, it's well worth the money. I say the kids probably can handle using regular dive fins, but over 50 types(I switched in my early 40s) will benefit from using Force Fins.

Some species of fish have hard, spiny dorsal fins. Think of your float tube as a balloon, when landing such fish. Related, there is a quick patch kit available, you can use in the field. It works on just about any surface, and would be a good thing to have in your backpack

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Float tubes are not designed to be used in moving water. Use only in the slowest, flat, least snaggy moving water. Never, ever drop anchor in moving water.....in less your hot and want to go for a quick swim.

You WILL have to pee when you are the furthest away from shore.

You WILL find leaks in your waders, that you never knew you had.

Did I mention float tubing is fun?

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » June 2nd, 2009, 2:50 pm

Yes, it is fun. And relaxing. Ask Mark. I hear he near fell asleep he was so relaxed his first time using one. All those hard to get to spots on ponds are now easy to fish.

Force Fins? Yes.

Back pack straps? Even if they must be bought separately, yes!

Rod leash? Yes. I've not dropped a rod whil tubing yet, but have come close. :shock:

Tethers for the fins? Yes. Expecially the Force Fins. Why spend the money and not get tethers to make sure they don't get lost while kicking? That's what I thought.

Yes it's fun. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » June 2nd, 2009, 3:02 pm

get fins with adjustable straps so you can wear barefoot and over waders.

any fins will work. the more $ you pay, the more comfortable. if you're wearing over waders the neoprene is enough padding to make most fins reasonably comfortable.

i don't use a pump, i leave it 3/4 inflated all the time. and you have two boys, put em to work!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby RubiKinda » June 2nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

I'll add another vote for the force fins. I use them over boots & go with the traditional Churchill body board fins on bare feet when I let my boys get wet.

Speaking of leaky float tubes, I wonder if Craig still has the video of our older brother at a famous brookie lake when his float tube blew up. Yes, BLEW UP! It will have to go in an opt in section due to some strong language but it is down right funny. We were tubing and I was filming him letting the fat brookies have it ( back in the day when the 18" fish were 3-4 lbs) and he blew a seam. I remember it like it was yesterday...BOOM! " Oh sh**, oh sh** oh sh**,...... I couldnt help but just laugh and keep filming. Please Craig, find that video so we can share it with everyone.
RubiKinda

Postby Eric » June 2nd, 2009, 4:33 pm

Jon your in for some good times. Walmart fins for the boys. Force fins for you. also invest some money in pfd's.
Eric
p/s the next time you come south checkout some of the thrift stores by the coast. you might get lucky and get a pretty good deal on some force fins.
Eric

Postby anacrime » June 2nd, 2009, 6:51 pm

Eric wrote:Jon your in for some good times. Walmart fins for the boys. Force fins for you. also invest some money in pfd's.
Eric
p/s the next time you come south checkout some of the thrift stores by the coast. you might get lucky and get a pretty good deal on some force fins.

you found force fins at a thrift store!?!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Eric » June 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm

anacrime wrote:
Eric wrote:Jon your in for some good times. Walmart fins for the boys. Force fins for you. also invest some money in pfd's.
Eric

you found force fins at a thrift store!?!

I've never tried to find some but a buddy said he was able to get a pair at one.
Eric
Eric

Postby Papasequoia » June 2nd, 2009, 7:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys, all helpful and should cut down on the learning curve. I bought a pump and tried blowing them up. The unlabeled one has a skirt with the name on it: Stillwater Talon. Unfortunately although it had everything, the bladder appears to have a slow leak. Are there any rubbing alcohol type tricks for that, or is it just filling the bathtub and squeezing?

The Caddis (still can't find a model name) is the most seaworthy, but it needs the top bladder in the headrest area. I could use it though, but I'll look for a replacement, I assume they are a standard size?

The one that will need the most fixing up is the Stealthrider. The top headrest bladder is there, but the larger one below it is missing. Since the company is out of business, any ideas on how to find a replacement? The bottom/large bladder is actually two bladders on this model. And they are two different valves, so I assume one of them is a replacement. Unfortunately, the valve on one of them is a strange type that is missing a cap. Here is what it looks like:

Any ideas on what to do about that? Can you buy a cap, or can you loosen that hose clamp and buy a new valve to insert, or can you buy a whole new stem assembly? What's the best way to go about fixing this one up?

Thanks again for advice!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » June 2nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

I have a caddis among my float tubes. I used a small inner tube for a replacement back bladder--bought at walmart. My larger tube also developed a leak. Rather than chase it, I replaced that tube with a truck inner tube picked up at a tire store. These fill with a standard tire pump * as they have standard valve cores that I remove to deflate them, then reinstall them when I want to refill them. I used to carry them empty to Mammoth, go to a gas station, and pump them up for use.

If you've got the newer bladder type with a large air input valve, you can use the dual action pump or get a 12V air mattress pump. I'd bet you can replace the bladder by finding a similar sized one. Call the float tube store and ask. They are located in the LA area and they have a website at:

http://www.thefloattubestore.com/

You received good info on the fins. Force are the best I've used and what I still use if I can drive to the float tube launch area. If I have to backpack the tube, I opt for the much lighter Caddis fins (also much cheaper at around $30 vs $140 or so for the Force fins) as carrying the heavy Force's in to a place like Cottonwood Basin sux.

If you and the boys ever want to hit a good, small lake, let me know. We have one within 45 minutes of me that fishes well (generally) and is easy to launch and retrieve from. A friend just fished it and landed 30 plus fish in about 2-3 hours. (It's probably not where most of you may think it is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) You could come down, spend a night here and hit it and one pf my locals. A day tubing and a day casting large dries ( or nymphs and streamers).

Tight lines.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby beachbum » June 2nd, 2009, 8:44 pm

Force fins double as my body surfing fins, and do a good job for the float tube.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby 1mocast » June 3rd, 2009, 1:39 am

Darrin Terry wrote:Yes, it is fun. And relaxing. Ask Mark. I hear he near fell asleep he was so relaxed his first time using one.
Yes,
I am also a noob tuber...This did happen the first time I took it out a couple of months ago...Talk about just chilling on a little pond somewhere...Its like just relaxing in a lounge chair in a pool...You can fish or take a nap if you like... Or in my case, both at the same time...Now if I can figure out how to easily pee... :D

Yes it is fun...Now if I can only spring for a fish finder...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing