REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A Skunk, A couple of Moose, and a Bear

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A Skunk, A couple of Moose, and a Bear

Postby WatchinTheWater » June 4th, 2009, 12:06 am

The Yampa is still raging and the weather has been difficult so since returning from my last road trip I’ve spent quite a bit of time at the vise trying to improve my beginner tying skills.

After seeing a couple of posts from the Front Range crew I figured I’d better get on the water and lose/test some of those flies. I’m not putting this post under the Colorado Waters because it’s not really about fishing that much. I fished a tail water that was too high for my limited abilities and the weather turned from bright sun to rain with lightning and thunder then a bit of hail. I did some exploring and found a lot of water that will be really good when it settles down a bit but not today. I had just finished checking one last “little” creek in the area and decided to head for home. Driving down the narrow Forrest service road I came around a corner to see a calf moose trotting behind its mother on the corner ahead.

The calf was obviously very young so I tried to keep my distance and wait for them to move off the side of the road so that I could pass.

The calf was very wobbly at times and mom kept a close watch on my car.

The calf needed a rest so it took a nice long one.

After more than fifteen minutes the calf struggled to its feet.

Mom urged the little one on down the road.

Eventually the calf decided to leave the road but not by much. It took shelter under a tree very close to the road and mom stood guard. With mom facing away from the road between two trees I thought I might be able to pass and end this ordeal for all of us. I crept quietly down the road until I was within ten yards and then floored the gas pedal. She snapped around charged the right side of my car with perfect timing brushing a front hoof on the post between the two side windows and almost driving her head through the open window. As I sped toward a corner I took a quick look back to see the moose holding ground on my right quarter panel, I was already doing close to thirty. The moose broke off the chase just in time so that I could brake safely for the corner and continue homeward.
The moose encounter was pretty cool but I probably wouldn’t be staying up late to post this report if I wasn’t so jacked up from hitting a bear on the highway coming down Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat. My first thought when I saw the shadow approaching from the left side of the road was, I’m gonna hit an elk. As I slammed on the brakes I could see the loping strides of a good sized bear headed straight into my headlight. The left front of the car hit him pretty good causing a roll back toward my side of the car with a stagger and a stumble in the uphill lane. Before I could get the car to a complete stop the bear regained its feet staggered a bit and then bounded over some k-barriers that protect a steep ravine.

As best I can tell in the darkness my car is undamaged from either encounter. I do hope the moose and new born calf were not too stressed and that the bear did not sustain any serious injuries.

Quite an exploration day up here in the Rockies

Dave
WTW
WatchinTheWater

Re: A Skunk, A couple of Moose, and a Bear

Postby darrin terry » June 4th, 2009, 12:17 am

Whoa Dave. Glad those encounters went as well as they did. Moose and bear contact in a single evening. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Glad you're OK, and the car too.

BTW, the flies look good to me. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby 1mocast » June 4th, 2009, 1:50 am

Dave,
Glad you didn't encounter a Real "Skunk"...Cool pics and story! Thanks...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » June 4th, 2009, 2:57 am

Dave

Good read. That sounds like a fun adventure, How does the car look now that you have light to see by?

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby WatchinTheWater » June 4th, 2009, 6:51 am

Upon closer inspection in the morning sunlight the moose hoof left a slight scrape on the paint of the rear door just below the window and disturbed the road dirt pretty well, very minor. The bear took a harder hit leaving some hair on the front bumper where it wraps around to form part of the fender. The impact must have flexed the fender because it has a slight kink at the top of the arc. I'll be on the phone to DOW to let them know they have a good sized wounded bear close to some homes.
Phew!
WatchinTheWater

Postby Eric » June 4th, 2009, 7:19 am

Dave now that was a day of fishing you will never forget. Teh mouse pics r a real treat. I agree with Mike tie some flys with that Bear hari. Also nice job on those flys.
Eric
Eric

Postby Sasha » June 4th, 2009, 8:14 am

Wow a moose and bear encounter all in one trip :shock:

Glad you are OK.
Sasha

Postby beachbum » June 4th, 2009, 9:23 am

That sounds like quite a day, Dave. The things we do to find a little fishing create some pretty interesting life adventures.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby BradW » June 4th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Dave,
Too cool. The calf looks like its less than a day old. Sorry to hear about the bear. I'm always on edge driving around there at night. That whole place comes alive at night.

Brad
BradW

Postby 209er » June 4th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Goes along with the saying "Beware when pi$$ing off a female". Other than the contacts, cool encounters. Flies look great to me except those that have that shiny round thing in front. :lol: :lol: Looking forward to future posts. 209er
209er

Postby Benny » June 4th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Cool job on the flies, and those encounters are a great part of being outdoors.
Thanks for sharing
Benny

Postby Papasequoia » June 4th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Beware the porcupine.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » June 4th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Wow... that's quite the way to get skunked.

Awesome that all that wildlife is around.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Autodave » June 4th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Great story-very cool pic's!
Autodave

Postby Sheriff Joe » June 4th, 2009, 9:01 pm

*, Dave, great day of outdoor encounters!

REAL MEN HIT COWS!!!

Sorry to hear about the bear; I hope he wasn't too badly injured. Glad you got out...those flies look nice, except for that bead-head san juan atrocity on the left. That almost looks like something I would tie, and that's just sad.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing