REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Ross, Glavan, Lamson??????

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Ross, Glavan, Lamson??????

Postby BirdDog » June 4th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Ive always owned Ross Reels and Sage rods. Recently I bought a Winston....think I may be ready to break out of my shell and get a different reel. What have you guys heard, or do you guys like about the Galvan Torque and Lamson Litespeed.....If I stayed with Ross I would get the evolution or the Vexis.....Which has the best drag system, coolest look, most durable. I would be getting it to match a Winston Boron IIx 9' 6wt for streamers, and big western rivers.

Any of you guys owns these reels or know anything about them???? It would be appreciated......
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Re: Ross, Glavan, Lamson??????

Postby briansII » June 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I have a couple Lamson Litespeeds. They are my workhorse trout reels. I like em, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I own a Ross Evo. It's ok, but not my favorite. It's smooth, but not a true large arbor. I don't think you can go wrong with a Galvan. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They're a local(Sonora?)company too.

briansII
briansII

Postby thtsarumr » June 4th, 2009, 9:00 pm

I agree. I don't own a Lamson but I have tested it. It is super lightweight and the drag is insane.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby darrin terry » June 4th, 2009, 9:15 pm

I've got a Galvan Torque 6 and love the reel. Great large arbor reel. The only Lamson I have is a Radius 2, and I am equally impressed with the Lamson. I do not think you can go wrong either way.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » June 4th, 2009, 9:16 pm

if i could afford it, i'd go Loop.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Sasha » June 4th, 2009, 10:37 pm

The only Galvan I own is an OB-1 so I am not of much help.
Sasha

Postby RichardCullip » June 5th, 2009, 4:01 am

I've got both the Galvan Torque and the Lamson Litespeed. I find that I love my Torques better than the Lamson. I love the Galvan's fit and feel and silky smooth rotation and it's drag has lots and lots of range. While the Lamson has a great drag and is extremely lightweight, iI feel that it's fit and feel (especially the rotaton) is a step below the Torque. I'll be buying more Torques in the future but I won't buy any more Lightspeeds.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Flyjunkie » June 5th, 2009, 6:20 am

I own 4 Torgues.. all but one of them are for the Ocean... I agree 100 % with Richard's statements about Torgues.. they are Great Reels.. The Drag system is top notch and in the Ocean that's really important. The Start up on the Drag when a fish is taking off line seems to be very fast with no "slow Down" while the System is engaging.. Very Important...
My Great friend, Lee Baermann, who guides in the Surf and does extended trips to Baja, uses the Lightspeeds. He's had zero defects with them as well...
I Like the Torgues because they have more substance to them.. Important consideration if You're into Rock hoping along a river or Stream and suffer the occasional slip.... :doh:
Make sure which ever Make & Model you purchase, that it balances with Your rod you are gonna use it on... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby RubiKinda » June 5th, 2009, 6:45 am

I put my vote in for the Torques. I have a few of them and a couple Open Backs as well and have never had an issue. You sure you don't want to go with an Orvis L.A.? I have a bunch that I replaced with Galvans I'd be happy to part with.
RubiKinda

Postby Rollincast » June 5th, 2009, 7:33 am

I have a couple Lamson Radius, a couple of their Velocity and one lightspeed. All have the same drag system, a kick-ass work horse drag for sure. I use them on everything from a small boo up to an 8wt that I throw in the salt. Never an issue, one of the best deals outthere. Check e-bay, some great deals. Also have a couple lower end Ross Cimmarons and a Gunninson (sp?) also great reels. A couple Galvan OB's that don't get much use so, I'm no help there. As a side note, I tried to order a Galvan Torgue, T-10, for an upcoming trip south of the border. All 3 shops I contacted say that it would be 3 months before they could get one from Galvan. :( :( Maybe they have a better supply in the more common sizes.
With that being said........I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of the three.

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby briansII » June 5th, 2009, 9:57 am

I'd like to add, I own the older, pre Hard Alox Litespeeds. I'm not easy on my stuff, and a klutz when it comes to boulder/cobble hoping. My reels/rods are on the ground/rocks a lot. I've fallen and slammed my Guide Finish Litespeed on the rocks a few times. I thought for sure I would've bent to frame or spool. Nope. One, almost unnoticeable dull spot on the finish, and that's all. I hear the Hard Aloxs are tougher. Wish I was tougher...or at least more graceful in my falls. :(

briansII

......maybe Lamson will read this and i'll get a kickback?
briansII

Postby darrin terry » June 5th, 2009, 10:18 am

Keep in mind we're talking about waht are arguably three of the top reel makers out there. The best three? Maybe not, but still top quality makers.

I've not used a Ross reel, but a friend has owned several and was only disappointed with the amount of plastic in them. Something I had noticed when looking at them. Likely not a problem unless your reels spnd time getting dropped or laying amonst rocks a lot. In other words, it would concern me on a rod used on freestones more than a rod used on spring creeks.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » June 5th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Randy,
I sent you a PM regarding a T10.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby midger » June 5th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Birddog,
All have given good recommendations and all the brands listed are reliable and they all have good warranties with the manufacturers all standing behind their products. Get the one you like best and that balances with the rod you intend to use it with, and the one you like the looks of the best. Personally, I'd be happy with any of the models listed--I don't pay that much attention to cosmetics, but rather, am more interested in function..
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing