REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Force Fin Size

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Force Fin Size

Postby Papasequoia » June 8th, 2009, 2:50 pm

FYI, I sent an email to Force Fin about finding a cheaper price elsewhere and asking if they would match that price even though I had already placed my order, or if I could return the fins (stuck with shipping costs) and then order them elsewhere. Got a reply today:

"Thank you for your interest in Force Fin products and your
>> email concerning your recent internet order. Please feel
>> free to order from any place you wish. Our online store is a
>> very human process and we only bill the customer when the
>> fins leave the building. so you have not been charged and we
>> will cancel your order. Please confirm that you would like
>> to cancel your internet order # XXXX. Safe tubing and thank
>> you for your email and support!

Time now to check out the other sites posted here and save a few bucks. If I lived even remotely near a store that sold them though, I would do what you are doing Thtsarumr. I'd much rather give some business to a fly shop, but the nearest one would be a 5-6 hour round-trip drive. Jon

PS It's always nice to see customer service come first, the Force Fin folks seem to recognize that.

[Edit/add] I just got a call from the folks at scuba.com, mainly about my question on sales tax (they advertise no sales tax, but if you click on that ad that doesn't look like a link, it says except in CA). In any case, in the course of the conversation the woman mentioned that they were back-ordered. When I asked how long she laughed and said, "well, it's force fin, you never know with them, especially in the summer. They don't seem to rush very much. It could be a week or to be honest it could be months." They will, however, refund your money if you decide you are waiting too long. I noticed that at a couple of the other places online it said "back-ordered" or "out of stock" as well, so maybe a fly shop that has them in stock (for those of you that live near one) is the best bet after all. I will update here if/when they get shipped.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Benny » June 8th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Muy interesante.... :? I think I'm going to get them @ The Spot ;)
Benny

Postby thtsarumr » June 20th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I ordered them today so they should be here by Saturday. Hopefully I can hook up with a few of you Pro-Tubers (Bob & Mark) and chase some blue gills or bass when I get back from up north at the end of July.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Papasequoia » June 22nd, 2009, 3:30 pm

Good news for me (and anyone else on the wait list from scuba.com) I got my force fins in the mail today even though the woman I talked with at scuba said they could be backordered for weeks or months. The tube arrived from Leland's last week, so now all I need to find is a lake in the desert! :D

On downside is that I bought fins for the kids (not force fins) and I thought that they were all set. But, unfortunately, when I bought them waders a couple of years ago I got Cabela's brand with the boots attached and the boots don't fit into the fins even though they are adjustable. So now I have to buy the kids new waders! It never ends. Meanwhile, I have two pairs of kids waders for sale cheap if anyone is interested. :?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » June 22nd, 2009, 3:50 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
On downside is that I bought fins for the kids (not force fins) and I thought that they were all set. But, unfortunately, when I bought them waders a couple of years ago I got Cabela's brand with the boots attached and the boots don't fit into the fins even though they are adjustable. So now I have to buy the kids new waders!

Wow Papa... I'm not sure if you can say the float tubes were "free" anymore. About as free as a free puppy.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Papasequoia » June 22nd, 2009, 4:32 pm

They are size 5 and size 6, but they are roomy (presumably so kids can grow into them). Sean (the older one) wears about a size 8 or 9 shoe now, but he wore the size 6 pair on the Owens back in February. He said that they were snug but still fit. So, it appears that they fit a wide range of sizes. Probably like the hand-me-down snow boots we used to get as kids and complain that they were too big. Mom would just say, "Oh stop complaining and put on another pair of socks!" :D Ray, bingo on the puppy/float tube comparison!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » June 23rd, 2009, 7:30 am

thtsarumr wrote:Image

I ordered them today so they should be here by Saturday. Hopefully I can hook up with a few of you Pro-Tubers (Bob & Mark) and chase some blue gills or bass when I get back from up north at the end of July.

We will definitely hook up for some toobin fun right down the street from you!
You are going to like the fins, a bit heavy, but built like an LHA!
And they sell replacement parts for them too! I did not know this when I bought mine.

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby flybob » June 23rd, 2009, 8:00 am

I also think it is worth mentioning that on my last toobin trip, the pond was choked with aquatic weeds a good 30 yards out from the shore. There were a couple of other guys out on the water and they looked to be struggling quite a bit to get through it.
This had me a bit worried, being a toobin newbie and all, well those dang Force Fins allowed to plow through the weeds like a cultivator!

In the end, everyone who recommend them was absolutely correct, and I am darn glad I got them!
bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RichardCullip » June 23rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

flybob wrote:I also think it is worth mentioning that on my last toobin trip, the pond was choked with aquatic weeds a good 30 yards out from the shore. There were a couple of other guys out on the water and they looked to be struggling quite a bit to get through it.
This had me a bit worried, being a toobin newbie and all, well those dang Force Fins allowed to plow through the weeds like a cultivator!

In the end, everyone who recommend them was absolutely correct, and I am darn glad I got them!
bob

Like, Bob, I've very glad that I spent the money and got Force Fins. I don't regret the decision at all! In fact, I celebrate the decision each time I go tubin'. On my last tubin' trip I was fishing with a buddy who didn't have Force Fins. About 2 hours into the morning we drifted (finned) close enough to each other to chat for a bit. The first words out of his mouth was to complain/comment about leg cramps and how much his legs were bothering him. I thought to myself "Leg cramps? I wonder what they feel like? I've never had them while tubin'."

I give the Force Fins full credit for my leg cramp-free days of tubin'.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby thtsarumr » June 23rd, 2009, 2:15 pm

Sounds good Bob. I can't wait.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Eric » June 23rd, 2009, 2:18 pm

Papa and Blu your both going to love those force fins
Eric
Eric

Postby Benny » June 23rd, 2009, 2:53 pm

Hey me too ;)
Benny

Postby briansII » June 23rd, 2009, 3:12 pm

flybob wrote:I also think it is worth mentioning that on my last toobin trip, the pond was choked with aquatic weeds a good 30 yards out from the shore. There were a couple of other guys out on the water and they looked to be struggling quite a bit to get through it.

bob

I've spent a great deal of time, thrashing in thick weed beds. Both in my tube, and toon. As far a Force Fins being superior for that, I don't really know. Possible, in an indirect way. My legs are less fatigued which helps trudge through the thick stuff. In heavy weeds, it's more of a walking motion, to get your fins on top of the weeds, than kicking right through them.

By late summer, into winter, this reservoir gets choked with weeds(not shown in this pic because the water level is high). It goes from shore, and extends about 300 yards or more past my buddies in their toons. The best fishing is on the other side of the weeds. :doh: There has been a time or six, I didn't think I was going to make it back to shore.

.........I bought a 55lb thrust trolling motor with weedless prop. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » June 24th, 2009, 6:14 am

briansII wrote:

bob

I've spent a great deal of time, thrashing in thick weed beds. Both in my tube, and toon. As far a Force Fins being superior for that, I don't really know. Possible, in an indirect way. My legs are less fatigued which helps trudge through the thick stuff. In heavy weeds, it's more of a walking motion, to get your fins on top of the weeds, than kicking right through them.

By late summer, into winter, this reservoir gets choked with weeds(not shown in this pic because the water level is high). It goes from shore, and extends about 300 yards or more past my buddies in their toons. The best fishing is on the other side of the weeds. :doh: There has been a time or six, I didn't think I was going to make it back to shore.

.........I bought a 55lb thrust trolling motor with weedless prop. :bananadance:

briansII

OOOOOOOOO.. :o :o :o ..300 YARDS......NOW THAT's A DIFFERENT STORY! I don't think I would even attempt that!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing