REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Force Fin Size

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Force Fin Size

Postby thtsarumr » June 4th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I'm not going to spend money on fins wishing I had bought something better so I am going with the Force Fins. I just don't know what size to get. I will be wearing wading boots with them whether Im in waders or not. I wear a 10 boot. I know some of you own a pair so any info is welcome.

Thanks,

Blu
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Re: Force Fin Size

Postby anacrime » June 4th, 2009, 9:13 pm

what's the purpose of wearing them over boots?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby thtsarumr » June 4th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Well, I plan on using them year round so i figured during the warmer months I would just wear shorts and wading boots and full waders for the colder ones. But you did get me thinking. ;)
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby anacrime » June 4th, 2009, 9:45 pm

i think you'd be better off wearing them over neoprene. just get a pair of neoprene booties for the summer.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » June 4th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Hey Blu, where you going to get the fins? Anyone know of a good online dealer or store where one might get a sweet deal. Thanks ;)
Benny

Postby Flyjunkie » June 5th, 2009, 6:27 am

Just buy the Adjustable Force Fins they are a wee bit more money then the sized version.. That way you can adjust the Fit for the different conditions you'll encounter over a fishing year.. 8-)

We sell them at the Spot, Benny... :rockon: :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby briansII » June 5th, 2009, 9:44 am

Ditto wearing them over neoprene booties, unless you plan to wade slippery rocks during your tube outing. You'll negate some of the advantages of Force Fins by wearing them over bulky, heavy wading boots.

FWIW, I have never wet tubed before. Much of the water I tube is warmwater stuff. I'm not scared of snakes, but microscopic parasite make me scream like a girl. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » June 5th, 2009, 10:13 am

briansII wrote:…I'm not scared of snakes, but microscopic parasite make me scream like a girl. :oops:

That was you? I thought that was F-Bomb. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby 209er » June 5th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Take your boots or booties with you to the shop. 209er
209er

Postby Papasequoia » June 5th, 2009, 1:25 pm

I found that Force Fin makes a lot of models of fins for different uses, if you are just going to use them for float tubing they make a model just for that:

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Pro ... eforce.htm

I ordered my pair yesterday, didn't see them cheaper anywhere else. $189.95. Ouch.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Benny » June 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Jon, check out this site :arrow: SCUBA.COM I found the float tube Force Fins for $144 which could of saved you $45

I would say call Force Fin up and ask if they could match or beat that price :?

Also if anyone at the Fishermen's Spot is reading if you could match this price I'd gladly send my business your way ;)
Benny

Postby Papasequoia » June 5th, 2009, 9:07 pm

* them. I went to scuba.com after researching on the web for a cheaper price. I followed the link to their website that came up on google and they didn't have the insert included which makes the fin neutral-buoyant and would have cost around $20. I also wanted to make sure I got the right ones, that's why I went with the force fin site. I guess I will try calling them on Monday (or tomorrow if anyone answers) and see what they will do. Thanks for the link, I wonder why it didn't come up that way following the google search? Maybe it went to an older page. Sigh.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby thtsarumr » June 7th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Benny wrote:Hey Blu, where you going to get the fins? Anyone know of a good online dealer or store where one might get a sweet deal. Thanks ;)

The local shop down in my area has really treated me well so I think I will take my business to them. They are always rolling back prices for me. I think they like me... :?

Thanks for all the info guys.
thtsarumr

Postby Jim T » June 8th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Blu,

I wanted the fixed size to save weight and minimize slip but could not find one to fit without constricting my foot too much (high instep).

Ended up with the adjustables and love 'em. They're a little harder to put on but I can wear them with a variety of booty styles and sock thicknesses. Haven't tried them with my wading boots though but they claim you can wear them if you're going to be getting out and walking around a lot or hiking in in them and don't wan't to carry the booties in addition. Supppose you could use them with the boot foot waders if you had them.

I started with a Glacier glove booty but it was a little too narrow. Now I wear a felt soled Chota neoprene bootie for a little extra warmth and slip protection for those lakeside pit stops.

Jim
Jim T

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing