REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hardy Marksman

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hardy Marksman

Postby Benny » August 20th, 2008, 2:44 pm

What do you guy think of this rod yeah or nay?

From what I have read the MARKSMAN is the ultimate nymphing rod. I am looking to purchase a 10' 4pc and the weight is still up in the air, I am l debating between the 4 & 5 wt. I tend to fish double nymphs and heavy shots under a strike indicator. I'd love to hear what you pros think. Remember any of you who have fished with me know I am all about the NYMPHS.
Benny

Re: Hardy Marksman

Postby stlhdr » August 20th, 2008, 3:09 pm

I fish the same way you do....with a 5 wt sage 9'6" Fli...similar action to the Hardy (I think)...my 5 wt is light for steelhead, but I like the challenge of landing them on the Rogue, Trinity, Klamath.

I fish a 9' fast action 3 wt on the lower kings for trout up to 5# or so, but that gets to be a stretch...again, I like to give em a chance :D When the Kings is over 1,000 cfs I go to the 5 wt.

So, my advice would be...if you're catching bigger fish or working bigger water get the 4. If smaller fish and water, the 3 will work fine.

lots of guys here know better than I...in particular about the rod you're looking at, so let's see what they say.

-Mike
stlhdr

Postby Benny » August 23rd, 2008, 9:12 am

Thanks for the information Mike. I've talked with some of the guys and I'm getting a whole lot of different advice.
Benny

Postby Benny » August 24th, 2008, 10:51 am

I made the purchase of the Hardy Marksman 10' 5wt 4pc mached up with the Hardy Marksman reel 4/5. This will be my go to rod from now on. Everything about this fly rod is like a nymphers dream come true. It seems it's the ultimate Czech Nymphing rod and in a few short days the rod should be in my nymph fishing hands Image

Feed back I'm getting is that I made the right choice with the 5wt. I also find out that Hardy rods meet Royal approval. Holy Moly! The Prince of Wales uses Hardy fly rods Image If they are good enough for him then I'm quite sure they are good enough for me...Look out trout here I come with my new rod & reel Image
Benny

Postby anacrime » August 24th, 2008, 12:40 pm

wow benny :shock:

congrats
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Return to General Fly Fishing