REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My favorite piece of backpacking gear

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: My favorite piece of backpacking gear

Postby StevenOjai » June 10th, 2009, 3:17 pm

rkfiske wrote:I can't comment yet really about my favorite piece of gear but I have to say, I've been thinking about getting one of those sleeping pad chair adapters. A good place to sit around would be worth the extra weight in tow I think for me.

That chair adapter is my favorite as well. Nothing better than to have that back support around the campstove. I also like my Siltarp as a shelter tent used with my hiking staffs. This gives me plenty of shelter from the late afternoon thunderstorms and is big enough to store the backpack. My 6 day excursion pack usually weighs about 40 lbs.
Steve
StevenOjai

Postby 1mocast » June 10th, 2009, 6:01 pm

I would have to say my fly rod setup! Why else would I go into the back country! ;)

OK, I guess I wouldn't be able to go without a small camera...Just to capture that high country scenery.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby BirdDog » June 11th, 2009, 5:52 am

Headlamp and treking poles.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby Papasequoia » June 12th, 2009, 10:32 am

BirdDog wrote:Headlamp and treking poles.

Yeah, two relatively recent developments. Back in the day a trekking pole was a stick. If you were creative or had some money, it was a carved and varnished stick. Now we have dual, lightweight, adjustable poles and boy they sure do make a difference. As for headlamps, I remember when they got popular and I didn't get one for the longest time because they looked so dorky, but they sure are convenient. Especially compared to what used to be the coolest flashlight you could own: a green, hard plastic, D-battery cannister with the curved head so you could hold it like a torch. Yeah.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby McFlyfi » June 15th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Between the bag/pad, chair, headlamp (ever smaller & lighter),my newfound appreciation for alcohol (stoves!), and the Katadyn Basecamp gravity water filter, the one piece of gear I always take is...A solar shower. When the family and I pack together, it's the big 5 gallon model. When I go without the family, it's the little 2 quart model.
Nothing- I mean nothing- beats washing off a day or three of sweat & dirt like a warm afternoon shower. Even just one shower in the middle of a week long excursion makes me sleep better, fish better, hike better, just generally feel better overall. Keeps your sleeping bag cleaner as a bonus.
Even if you get back late from fishing, you can heat a quart of water and add it to a quart of cold water in the shower, and you're good.
They weigh a few ounces, and take up nearly no room in th pack.
It can be put to very good use to put out your campfire as well.
McFlyfi

Postby BirdDog » June 17th, 2009, 12:01 am

McFlyfi wrote:
Nothing- I mean nothing- beats washing off a day or three of sweat & dirt like a warm afternoon shower. Even just one shower in the middle of a week long excursion makes me sleep better, fish better, hike better, just generally feel better overall.

Shoot... I get away so I dont have to shower!!! I just jump in the river....Dont tell me you bring soap too :rockon:
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby Packer » June 17th, 2009, 10:45 am

Love my large Prolite 4 Thermarest chair!!
On my next backpack trip I am taking a 2 liter Platypus with a Platypus showerhead, and see if it's worth it.

Packer
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby flybob » June 23rd, 2009, 11:51 am

1mocast wrote:I would have to say my fly rod setup! Why else would I go into the back country! ;)

OK, I guess I wouldn't be able to go without a small camera...Just to capture that high country scenery.

Mark, from my point of view, I think you REALLY CHERISH that solar shower! :lol:

For me I would have to say that my little one man 3lb tent would be my favorite, I know it is very thin material, but it does give me a sense of security, AND I am not ashamed of it, but I am still afraid of the boogey-man! :o

My second favorite piece of gear, is Mark's solar shower! :rockon: :lol:

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Trootfisher » June 26th, 2009, 12:38 am

Headlamp and MSR Dromedary bag.
Trootfisher

Postby dna » June 29th, 2009, 11:22 am

My latest backpack: Six Moon Designs--Starlite. 25oz, loads up to 35 lbs, durable.
dna

Postby fish-on-bro » June 30th, 2009, 9:55 am

I don't really backpack anymore, but I do day hike. I would have to say my Seychelles filter bottle. Lugging enough water for the day can get heavy. You guys ever read "Fishing Mountain Lakes" by Gary LaFontaine? He used goats to pack in his shhhistuff, pretty cool. Give the book a read. The book format is cool, the chapters alternate. One chapter will be a funny story then the next chapter is in depth learning, then a funny chapter, etc.

Fish-on-bro, out....
fish-on-bro

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing