REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My favorite piece of backpacking gear

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

My favorite piece of backpacking gear

Postby Papasequoia » June 9th, 2009, 11:44 pm

The "backpacking angler" thread got me to thinking about what people's favorite piece of backpacking gear might be. You know, the thing you wouldn't do without no matter what the weight. I don't mean (necessarily) an essential, like matches, but then again, it doesn't have to be a luxury either. What is it that you drag along with you, all the time, and why? It could be something small (a lucky charm of some sort?), maybe a favorite old flask, you get the idea.

Mine is actually two (wow, cheating already, a new record!) But they have to go together. It's a thermarest-style pad with the chair assembly to turn it into a camp chair. I've been backpacking for almost forty years now (old fart) and I can tell you that the only thing that beats a supremely comfortable pad for sleeping is a comfy camp chair with a backrest. In the "olden days" I went with the all kinds of things to save weight, from nothing (back in the days when it was ok to use pine boughs) to closed cell foam pads that were trimmed to the minimum. But the first time I slept on a thermarest pad it was so good I had a smoke and had to change my underwear. Lounging by a fire, stretched out in my comfy reclining chair = luxury x 10. Compared to sitting on cold rocks, damp logs, the ground, etc., nothing beats it. When I have forgotten it, life is not the same. Heavy? Yes. Leave it behind on purpose? Never.

So what's your favorite or can't do without it piece of backpacking gear?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: My favorite piece of backpacking gear

Postby anacrime » June 9th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Golite Ether Wind Shirt @ 3.55oz

Goes with me everywhere!

Seen here

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » June 9th, 2009, 11:53 pm

That last picture needs cropping. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why is the wind shirt your favorite piece of gear though? Because it is so lightweight? Versatile? Breathable? Brings good luck when fishing?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby rkfiske » June 10th, 2009, 7:13 am

I can't comment yet really about my favorite piece of gear but I have to say, I've been thinking about getting one of those sleeping pad chair adapters. A good place to sit around would be worth the extra weight in tow I think for me.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby fly addict » June 10th, 2009, 8:03 am

My favorite backpacking gear? That’s an easy choice, a Serpa! :lol:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Benny » June 10th, 2009, 8:20 am

I really had to think about this one, but came to the conclusion that my Nalgene bottle is an item that I must take even though it's on the heavier side. It serves as a mixer for hot chocolate, gatorade, tea, coffee, crystal light lemonade and the last trek I was on it also served as a wine jug. The bottles are also really tough and last a long time, and yes I am aware of the Nalgene bottles with BPA ;)
Benny

Postby RubiKinda » June 10th, 2009, 8:49 am

My favorite would most definately be my Sig Pro in .40 cal. At a mid- range price for a pistol, I am comfortable letting it take the beating of trampling through the woods and not only does it serve as security, I have had many of fresh Blue Grouse and Ptarmigan dinners at the blessing of that piece. That beats a meal in a bag any day.
RubiKinda

Postby Benny » June 10th, 2009, 8:55 am

RubiKinda, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that any upland game could only be taken legally with a shotgun :?
Benny

Postby RubiKinda » June 10th, 2009, 9:09 am

RubiKinda, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that any upland game could only be taken legally with a shotgun

Ruffed and Blue Grouse may be taken with a pistol or revolver. I've had this same conversation with a warden as well....he started by just giving me a warning but I pulled the regs on him anyway. There's nothing more annoying than a warden who doesn't know the laws he is enforcing.
RubiKinda

Postby Benny » June 10th, 2009, 9:15 am

That's good to know, thanks for correcting me. I need to read up on the regulations, I have not bought my hunting licence since 2005 and need to get out there once again.
Benny

Postby rayfound » June 10th, 2009, 9:18 am

well, not counting fishing gear.....Thermarest EZ Rest chair is up there for me. Its awesome, especially on longer trips. However, last year, it rained every afternoon, and I found myself not using it as much. I will say though, I don't think its heavy at all - just a couple ounces for the chair parts when you're already bringing the sleeping pad.

The other thing, which I am about to use for the first time, is the Jetboil. One of the guys in our group last year had one, and I was amazed at just how much it simplified meals/stove. Fast, Easy, Efficient, and it packs so well inside its cup with the fuel and everything. Less time making dinner, cleaning up, means more time fishing.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » June 10th, 2009, 9:24 am

Papasequoia wrote:The "backpacking angler" thread got me to thinking about what people's favorite piece of backpacking gear might be. You know, the thing you wouldn't do without no matter what the weight. I don't mean (necessarily) an essential, like matches, but then again, it doesn't have to be a luxury either. What is it that you drag along with you, all the time, and why? It could be something small (a lucky charm of some sort?), maybe a favorite old flask, you get the idea.

Mine is actually two (wow, cheating already, a new record!) But they have to go together. It's a thermarest-style pad with the chair assembly to turn it into a camp chair. I've been backpacking for almost forty years now (old fart) and I can tell you that the only thing that beats a supremely comfortable pad for sleeping is a comfy camp chair with a backrest. In the "olden days" I went with the all kinds of things to save weight, from nothing (back in the days when it was ok to use pine boughs) to closed cell foam pads that were trimmed to the minimum. But the first time I slept on a thermarest pad it was so good I had a smoke and had to change my underwear. Lounging by a fire, stretched out in my comfy reclining chair = luxury x 10. Compared to sitting on cold rocks, damp logs, the ground, etc., nothing beats it. When I have forgotten it, life is not the same. Heavy? Yes. Leave it behind on purpose? Never.

So what's your favorite or can't do without it piece of backpacking gear?

I'd have to agree with a comfortable sleeping pad. At my age, i'm not willing to sleep on a 1/2" foam pad. I just used a Thermarest Pro4 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was OK(I shoulda cleared more rocks out from under the tent), but I was wishing for more cushion. I have a Big Agnes air pad that is very compact and light. It's cushy, but it's like sleeping on a balloon. Still looking for that perfect backpacking pad. Second on the list is Advil.

briansII
briansII

Postby RubiKinda » June 10th, 2009, 9:48 am

That's good to know, thanks for correcting me. I need to read up on the regulations, I have not bought my hunting licence since 2005 and need to get out there once again.

There's nothing better than a solid day of cast & blast. East side is one of my favorites in October, drop me a pm anytime you want to get out.
RubiKinda

Postby Benny » June 10th, 2009, 10:26 am

RubiKinda wrote:
There's nothing better than a solid day of cast & blast. East side is one of my favorites in October, drop me a pm anytime you want to get out.

Sounds like a blast (pun intended) Yeah I'll definitely let you know as time nears.

SORRY for the semi-thread jacking papa :doh:
Benny

Postby Gary C. » June 10th, 2009, 11:30 am

I would have to say my sleeping pad also. I just love my Big Agnes Insulated Iar Core pad :rockon: I must be getting old because I sure like my comfort these days. I didn't like the idea of haveing to set-up and break-down a chair/pad conversion whenever I wanted a seat so I bought one of these Crazy Creek chairs, works very ell for me.
Gary C.

http://www.crazycreek.com/product/specials/93/
Gary C.

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing