REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Free float tube

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Free float tube

Postby Papasequoia » June 10th, 2009, 10:55 pm

I recently got some float tubes (see the never say never thread) for my boys and I from a very kind person on the Kern forum. One of them has a valve problem on the main tube, and is missing the backrest tube and the company has gone out of business. I've looked into buying some kind of replacement bladder online, something of a similar size and shape, but what it boils down to is that the hassle of measuring/* etc. and trusting to online replacements left me a bit skeptical. Also, since I have two that will work just fine for the boys, I have decided to buy a new tube that is lighter weight that I can use for backpacking/hiking. (I think it was a Trinity that was recommended in a thread from a couple of months ago). So, I have this float tube that otherwise is in great shape. Having been raised a thrifty, New England Yankee, I hate to throw anything out. So, I'm hoping that someone here would like to accept it and try and get it back in working order. As can be seen from some comments in that other thread, this was once a top of the line tube and many still swear by it. If any of you could use it and want to give it a go at finding replacement bladders, it is yours for the price of shipping ($10 or 15 bucks probably?)

Mike/Midger mentioned that the backrest bladder can probably be replaced with a kid's float ring or something from WalMart. You can see a picture of the faulty valve in the 'never say never' thread. Maybe a bike shop can find something airtight to seal it? Maybe those of you who live in a bigger city can bring the whole bladder to an outdoors store in LA or wherever and find a comparable sized bladder to replace this one? I'm sure a cash-strapped, inventive person could come up with some kind of solution. At least I hope so, because it would be a waste to toss it. It is a Wood River Stealthrider. First person to reply here or PM gets it. I'm going fishing with the boys tomorrow (yeay!) so I may not reply right away. Jon

PS Anyone have a good outlet for buying that other tube, the Trinity or whatever it was, please let me know, thanks.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Free float tube

Postby Gary C. » June 10th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Jon, I don't need another tube but I wanted to comment on your possible choice of a FishCat. I have one and think it's an awesome tube. You mention wanting a tube to backpack with and I think you could find something lighter and more suitable for long/overnight trips. If you are planning to carry your camp gear along also IMHO it's a little big. For drive-up lakes or just strapping a tube on to walk to a lake for the day I think the FishCat would be great.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby stanbery » June 11th, 2009, 1:52 am

2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby briansII » June 11th, 2009, 9:47 am

I really don't need it, but since I have a Wood River float tube, I wouldn't mind having it for a spare(parts?). I don't want to nix anyone that doesn't have a float tube from having it.......so, i'll accept it, only if nobody else wants it.

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » June 11th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Gary: I think you posted shortly after I did. I had originally written FishCat, but then I went back and looked at the thread from a few weeks ago and saw that the one mentioned there as a good lightweight tube was the Trinity, so I edited my post.
Jon: Thanks for the link. $330? Gulp. That's why I originally didn't want to get into tubing. But, since the boys now have one I guess I will go ahead and get it.
Brian: If no one else can use it, it's yours. It would be nice if someone who is a bit cash-strapped but wants a tube could take it and get some use out of it, so I'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone else responds. But it is a relief to know that someone can make some use of it, even for spare parts, rather than me just throwing it away.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby RichardCullip » June 11th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Papa, once you get over the sticker shock, you'll love the Trinity float tube. It's what I use out on the San Diego Bay and up at lake Isabella and the few High Sierra lakes I've fished. It's comfy and very light weight. It has 5 seperate air chambers, if you count the stripping basket rim as an air chamber, so one puncture won't sink you completely. I have no regrets whatsoever about dropping some big bucks on the Trinity model float tube.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby BradW » June 13th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Jon,
I can attest that the Trinity Richard has is a nice looking float tube. I especially like the stripping basket. Being frugal, I found an ODC 420 float tube for just over $100 on Ebay. I've seen them normally discounted for $149. They're very similar to the Fish Cat with the "V" configuration. They're a little heavy at 15 lbs but appear to be very durable. I've only used it once, but had a very comfortable day on the water with Richard.
Brad
BradW

Postby Papasequoia » June 13th, 2009, 3:51 pm

That's good to hear about the Trinity. I ordered one yesterday from the store that Jon S. linked here. Everywhere else I looked on the web (the top 12 or so sites that came up on google anyway) all had it for the same price of $450, but Leland's had it for $330. I'm not sure why such a huge price disparity? It looks the same, same weight, accessories, etc. so I don't think it is an older model. I'm not complaining, mind you, it just seems odd that so many stores had the exact same price and this one store wasn't 10 or 20 or 30 dollars cheaper, but $120. Anyways, assuming it's the correct model and all, I owe Jon a beer or twelve next time we meet up. :D Jon

PS If I don't hear from anyone by Monday about the other tube it goes to BriansII for spare parts. Going...going....
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » June 14th, 2009, 1:05 am

Jon wrote:
I owe Jon a beer or twelve next time we meet up. Jon

Jon since I dont drink beer, how about some Crown or Makers Mark?

I have been looking at the trinity Tube for months so that was how I knew Lelands had the best price, Glad to help.

Jon
stanbery

Postby Papasequoia » June 14th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Last bump for this puppy. Gone Monday morning to be chopped up for spare parts if no takers.

Jon, how about 3/4 of a bottle of Maker's Mark and some dry flies? :lol: I'm more of a single malt scotch kind of guy. Got a bottle of Maker's and couldn't get into it, so it has been sitting in the closet "aging" some more. :D Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » June 15th, 2009, 1:27 am

Papasequoia wrote:Last bump for this puppy. Gone Monday morning to be chopped up for spare parts if no takers.

Jon, how about 3/4 of a bottle of Maker's Mark and some dry flies? :lol: I'm more of a single malt scotch kind of guy. Got a bottle of Maker's and couldn't get into it, so it has been sitting in the closet "aging" some more. :D Jon

Sounds good to me.

Jon
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing