REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Furled Leader

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Furled Leader

Postby RSetina » June 14th, 2009, 1:59 pm

I've read several articles about furled leaders and they peaked my interest months ago. I just never did anything about going to OSH and buying the materials to create a furled leader board until last Friday. After pulling out the woodworking equipment, cutting all the materials, and assembling the board, I made my first attempt at making one.

I didn't seal the ends of this one. I just wanted to see how long the finished leader would be, just over 6 feet, and I think that's a little too short. I still need to add a butt section according to the article and of course the tippet section. So maybe the 6 foot leader will be fine. I'll have to fish one and see. It tapers quite evenly and the sections where the mono changes from 5 1/2 to 2 1/2 and 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 loops is hardly noticed. One of the articles say that the author uses 0/6 Uni tying thread for rod wts from 2wt to 6wt.. I'm interested in how one comes out using that material since this one seemed to turn out to be fairly thick. The one problem I found was trying to make sure the twists in the two section I made were close to even. Here's the article if you are interested in reading about them. More to come later.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Re: Furled Leader

Postby castaway » June 14th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Love the furled leaders!

I use them for a few reasons.

1) - Easy to untangle
2) - one furled leader can last over a year
3) - they lay out a very nice loop - being that they are a bit heavier than normal leaders - I would not go longer than 6 feet.
on my 9ft 5wt - I use a 6 footer - plus depending... up to 3 feet of tippit. On my shorter 6"ish rods - I use a very short 3 footer plus up to 2-3 feet of tippit.

Also, if you can find some tiny little plastic or metal rings to tie into the furled leader where it connects to the tippit - makes for fast tippit change if it gets tangled.

the only down falls - I use a lot of tippit - and on VERY still, slow, water - tossing dry's to spooky wild fish... I think the furled leader makes the fly land a bit harder... but those conditions are rare - I usually fish moving water.. more forgiving.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby NorcalBob » June 14th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Furled leaders rock. They especially rock when they're made out of uni-thread! :rockon:
Keep 'em short. They can turnover an awful long tippet section. :gun:
NorcalBob

Postby fly addict » June 14th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Rick,
Try one made out of silk thread.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rkfiske » June 14th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I tried a furled leader made with mono (which I believe now resides with DubL_HauL) and I wasn't too impressed. I'm interested to try it with thread though since my one complaint with the mono one was that it wouldn't turn over very well at all compared to my braided leader from orvis (that I love!). The idea of getting to make my own lengths for the furled leaders though makes me want to try and make my own now.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby rayfound » June 14th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Rick, I love them. I too have been meaning to give this a whirl, but haven't yet. The mono ones are super durable, and that is what I use. I've heard the tread ones are delicate for presentation, but also delicate themselves... Which is less than ideal in small brush lined creeks.

A mono one lasts me about 2/3s of a Season, and I'm pretty rough with them.

Now I know who to call when I can't figure this out on my own!
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby RSetina » June 14th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried making one out of 2lb test line and it didn't furl very well. The 4 lb line furled wuite well. If any of you make your own, what size line do you use? I thought the 2 lb line would make a really nice thin leader and it did. It just seems a little harder to work with and get the two halves spun close to the same amount.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby RSetina » June 14th, 2009, 4:26 pm

rayfound wrote:Rick, I love them. I too have been meaning to give this a whirl, but haven't yet. The mono ones are super durable, and that is what I use. I've heard the tread ones are delicate for presentation, but also delicate themselves... Which is less than ideal in small brush lined creeks.

A mono one lasts me about 2/3s of a Season, and I'm pretty rough with them.

Now I know who to call when I can't figure this out on my own!

It's not hard to make the board. If you need help making one let me know. I have all the tools you'll need.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby rayfound » June 14th, 2009, 4:38 pm

The one I have been using was made with 2lb.

I honestly probably have all the material and tools I need already, just not the get off your butt attitude. Part of it may be that they last sooooo long, I don't feel like I need one right now.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby RSetina » June 14th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Here's my second attempt at using 2 Pound P-Line for the leader material. I think it turned out great and this time it turned out without any kinks in the finished product. The key was to pinch the leader as it hung winding the two pieces together. I'm hooked on making my own now as long as they work well on the water.

I found a message board dedicated to just making furled leaders. There's a spreadsheet file there for calculating the peg positions. Very Cool!

http://furledleaders.proboards.com/
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby stanbery » June 15th, 2009, 1:35 am

Rick

Looks good.

Also try this when you start to wind the thread pinch the thread 2/3 of the way down to get rid of the kniks on the bottom section of the leader.
Go to Fishermans spot and buy some leader rings to put on the end of the leader it make a big difference for adding tippet to the end of the leader.

For you Dry fly guys if you make the fureled leader out of uni thread it works great for drys.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby rkfiske » June 15th, 2009, 7:31 am

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the link to that forum. I'm gonna have to invest some time reading that and see if I can maybe use some free time I have this week to make some leaders (or at least set up my board)

- Ryan
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby rayfound » June 15th, 2009, 8:18 am

rkfiske wrote:I tried a furled leader made with mono (which I believe now resides with DubL_HauL) and I wasn't too impressed. I'm interested to try it with thread though since my one complaint with the mono one was that it wouldn't turn over very well at all compared to my braided leader from orvis (that I love!). The idea of getting to make my own lengths for the furled leaders though makes me want to try and make my own now.

Ryan, I don't think its fair to blame the Furled Process or the leader material for your dislike. Like any leader, it is ultimately all about the Taper, and the taper of that one likely didn't work for you.

Keep in mind, there are also many different mono filament stiffness's. I would think a stiffer one would have more turnover/power transfer, and a more supple one would be more delicate for small flies (Uni-thread would be the most supple I would think).

Just a thought.

rayfound

Postby Pete » June 15th, 2009, 10:22 am

Rick,
I started building Furled leaders a while back. Still have to go well past the recommended time, when making the mono leaders, in order to them to close up at the junctions. Even with pinching at the junction and with all the legs even I still had trouble. I am up to approximately a minute and forty-five seconds on each leg and when I furl them together. I spin them until I can pluck them like a banjo string. I am close but, I still can't get every junction perfect. Then again the fish don't seen to mind ;) . I have the most trouble at the first junction on the leg. That is to say, where I go from 5 wraps to 2.

I have never had a problem having them turn over. I make mine out of 2lb. mono. It was recommended that Flourocarbon not be used for Furled leaders unless you want them to sink. Fluorocarbon has a specific gravity heavier than mono. I tried making them out of thread but, had to dress them too much and often to enjoy them. Making mine about 5' in length plus a tippet of 2 to 3 feet. I do not fish spooky water where you need a 10 to 12 foot leader.

Took to whip finishing the loops. Used the Pin-picker to make the loops but, I like the look of the whip finish better. Takes a couple of extra minutes but, don't mind. After the whip finish I apply a coat of super glue.

Pete
Pete

Postby rayfound » June 15th, 2009, 10:42 am

Pete wrote:Took to whip finishing the loops. Used the Pin-picker to make the loops but, I like the look of the whip finish better. Takes a couple of extra minutes but, don't mind. After the whip finish I apply a coat of super glue.

Pete

Can you describe how to do this? Like just as you would on a fly, using the end of the leader as the thread, and the body of the leader as the hook shank would be?

I made my Board this morning, now I just need to put pegs and hooks on it!

rayfound

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing