REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Internet Fly Follow-up

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Internet Fly Follow-up

Postby BirdDog » June 14th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advice on different shops, I had never even heard of a few of the discount sites you suggested, so it was a great help!!!

I purchased a few $$$ worth of lies from http://WWW.RIVERBUM.COM. All said I was happy with the order and would order certain flies from them again. Some of the patterns were much more expensive than the other sites, but they carried some flies that most shops dont.

Fliess I would order again: Fat alberts, paradrake(grey/green), Drake Wulfs, Extended Body Drakes, Para Adams, Humpies, Royal Wulfs, rubberleg nymphs.

Flies I will NOT order again:

ALL STIMS: I felt the upwing had like 6-7 hairs and the hackles are way to soft, I tend to like stims bushy or they fall on their side too often.

Drake spinners....tied very sparsley

PMX's: very disapointed, like the stims the upwing had no hair and would not add any flotation value. I really like this fly if differnt sizes/colors...great searching pattern for westslope cutts.

Next I am going to order some stims and PA's form Blueflycafe, since their prices are far superior. It may be that I order certain flies from certain shops. All said riverbum was satisfactory considering it was much more money than the others.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Re: Internet Fly Follow-up

Postby fflutterffly » June 15th, 2009, 5:40 am

montana flies and Blue are very good.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby duckdog » June 15th, 2009, 7:22 am

birddog, get a vice and start tying. some might say that flytying is a feather lined hole that you throw money into, but, you can tie what you want, when you want,how you want. there is so much information on the subject outthere, it has never been easier to learn . you'll be tying good flies in no time.
duckdog

Postby mtnguru » June 15th, 2009, 12:06 pm

DrCreek wrote:Tie your own stimmies, brother ! That's what I started doing because I experienced the same problem in workmanship. Now I have nothing to blame but my own lack of skills ! :lol:

I could only dream of tying stimmies to your caliber, Mike! I tried one the otherday w/o rubber legs and decided to hang up my hat on that style for a little while. There was a little too much going on there for me. :oops: :)
mtnguru

Postby rayfound » June 15th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I actually like the blueflycafe stimmies. good bushy wings, but not too upright. I don't like tying them under about a 12, and I buy a few 14s from BF.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby gabe » June 15th, 2009, 12:37 pm

sorry to hear about the stimmies.
I hate tying stimulators as well, but almost every stimulator I have bough I have not been satisfied with.
I guess breaking down and tying my own is the only option.

Thanks for the feed back info on the order.
gabe

Postby BirdDog » June 15th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Yeah I tied for several years....then just lost the passion and devotion. I used to love catching fish on my own ties....now it doesnt add anything extra for me.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby midger » June 16th, 2009, 7:12 am

BirdDog wrote:Yeah I tied for several years....then just lost the passion and devotion. I used to love catching fish on my own ties....now it doesnt add anything extra for me.

The extra it adds is being able to tie up something specifically different when it is needed. I travel a lot of times with a tying box--especially when I'm not packing 30-40 boxes of flies (in the car silly, I only carry 4-5 on the stream.)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing