REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

POACHING & Bamboo?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

POACHING & Bamboo?

Postby flybob » June 19th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Well I promised more warm water adventures!
In my last post, Eric asked if I was testing any new bamboo rods, yes I am, how fortunate I feel to be entrusted with such fine works of art!

Well again I have been asked to test drive another bamboo rod for my dear friend Doug, this one is a 7' 2wt Quad face. I have been going to the local city lakes, catching little gills, green sunfish, and juvenile bass, testing new fly patterns practicing my casting techniques and just generally tormenting the fish population.

HAHA these little guys just won't leave me alone!

Ok, now we are getting somewhere!

So, one day last week on the way home from Mile Square Park, I sneak into a pretty good size reed lined reservoir very close to my home! I had to! Been driving by it for 23 years, and it just begged attention. It is split by the highway, and on one side the signs are posted "No Fishing" but on the other side there are no signs, so I feign ignorance. Well, first cast, and my suspicions were realized, a really nice dark gill slammed my black nymph and took me and the rod for a ride, the line buzzing off the reel until I put the breaks on with the rod, talk about a bendo! I fought it for about a minute, not having any leverage like I do in the tube to pull the beast away from the reeds, so I used the rod to muscle it in, nice backbone, and the 4x tippet held as well. I took pics of the gill, but I wish I could of got some pics of the bendo in the rod. Well, on the next cast, the scene repeated itself and this time, I saw a really big bass chasing the really big frantic gill. These fish fought harder than any of the larger gills I have previously caught, I think that they have never been hooked! This impoundment is just begging to be fished from a tube, but I fear I would be in cuffs in short order. Anyway, I called it quits after the second gill. My gut feeling proved correct, and now the temptation to break the law will have to be abated, safe to say, I know what lies in that tea colored water.
The rod impressed me, it has a nice delicate touch with a serious backbone.

First cast:

Second cast:

Now the big question of the day, Is it really POACHING if you don't take the fish?

Hope all is well with everyone,

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: POACHING & Bamboo?

Postby Eric » June 19th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Bob your killing me!!!! I need to catch me some more gills :!: Hope to see that boo in action in the near future
Eric
Eric

Postby castaway » June 19th, 2009, 5:55 pm

trespassing ~ shwesspassing...The bulshiviks finally locked the gate and repaired the fence to my local Carp/LMB/striper spot... :fireangry: :fireangry:

Trespassing signs on the OTHER side of the freeway... sounds like your lake is open. Besides, I have bad eyes... or you could try "I am casting, not fishing"

quadsided? how does the rod react when going from up and down pressure to side pressure and back to up pressure?
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby flybob » June 19th, 2009, 6:38 pm

castaway wrote:

quadsided? how does the rod react when going from up and down pressure to side pressure and back to up pressure?

Good question Bill, the only time you need to keep the flats perpendicular/parallel to the water, depending which sides you are talking about, is when you are casting, and then Doug was wise enough to put subtle transition flats in the grip where it joins the rod, so your thumb or forefinger knows where the rod is positioned at all times! (I may do this to all my rods, since I have a problem with the rod clocking on me).
Now when you are fighting a monster gill, which will take you back and forth and up and down quicker that any trout I have ever caught (which is not saying much) the rod does not seem to care, and like I said before, has one heck of a backbone!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby rkfiske » June 19th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Wow, I need to check out that local mudhole near me now! I look forward to finally getting to meet you tomorrow Bob!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Justin » June 19th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Nice report Bob!
Chunky gills you stuck!
Thanks!

Justin
Justin

Postby 1mocast » June 19th, 2009, 9:24 pm

You Dinkmaster! ;)

Next thing you know, I am going to see you targeting 2 inch long Carp!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing your adventures!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby darrin terry » June 19th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Robert, Bob, Bobby…you are having a dangerous amount of fun with these boo trials. I hope they keep coming your way, too. :D :D :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby stanbery » June 20th, 2009, 1:04 am

Bob

Nice gills! Do you have anymore pics of the quad? :D

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing