REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

These boots are made for wadin'

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

These boots are made for wadin'

Postby rkfiske » June 25th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Hey guys,
I need some help and opinions about wading boots. I'm ready to invest in a new pair (my old ones were just some cheapo boots I got at target). My old boots worked okay though anyone who has fished with me has noted how many times I've come close to eating it in them. I'm looking for a good pair that is preferably non felt as I do alot of hiking to get to where I'm going as I'm sure almost all of us do. I'd like to know what you guys recommend as I value the opinion of all the guys on this board quite a bit and I know most of us all frequent the same beautiful hard to reach places locally.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: These boots are made for wadin'

Postby midger » June 25th, 2009, 9:38 pm

I'm also considering getting a new pair of nonfelt boots. I'll in all liklihood get the Patagonia Riverwalker boots. Here's a review by Tom Chandler done in March 2009:

http://troutunderground.com/2009/03/24/gear-review-are-patagonias-riverwalker-sticky-rubber-wading-boots-grippy-or-gimpy/

It will be interesting to see how others are leaning. BTW, I've had great luck with Patagonia gear and currently use their jackets, waders, and felt soled boots. There warranties are second to noone.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » June 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I would take a hard look at boots with the new Vibram soles. I've read they are the next step(no pun intended)above the older Aquastealth soles, and close to, if not as good as felt......depending on who you believe. If you need more traction on snot covered bowling balls, you can add * in studs. I have a pair of Simms Headwaters with the old AS soles. Very light, ok support and very comfy for my wide feet. I may upgrade to the Vibram sole this year, but may wait till I get enough use out of the pair I have now.

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » June 25th, 2009, 9:46 pm

I have the Patagonia Riverwalkers, in felt and sticky sole. I LOVE the sticky soles for all around fishing. If there is a lot of bank walking, the sticky soles can't be beat. I blew out a lace hook recently, and they had a new pair for me the next day. Patagonia really stands behind their gear.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby rkfiske » June 25th, 2009, 11:04 pm

wow thanks guys! I was eyeing patagonias and now that might have been the thing to push me over to them. There's a store right here in pasadena so I might go in to talk to them and bring in my waders. Hopefully people have done that in their store before haha.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Trootfisher » June 26th, 2009, 12:33 am

No one ever mentions LL Bean ... I've had a pair of their boots with AS for 2 years now and they are amazing. The design is based on their hiking boots and I've logged some mileage in these. Look at the sole of some of the competitors boots- they are flat like a wading shoe. The Beans are different- the soles are just like what you'd find on a hiker. The price of the Beans is lower than everything else mentioned here. I highly recommend checking out their boots.
Trootfisher

Postby RiverRat » June 26th, 2009, 7:12 am

I just blew out the side of the first generation LLBean Aquastealths. They were 15 years old and saw an average of 60 days a year on the water. Worth every penny! But with that being said I'm most likely going to support my local fly shop and buy a pair of Simms this time.

Patagonia just replaced a 14 year old a SST wading jacket for me due to delamination issues of the waterproofing. They are great too!

shane
RiverRat

Postby fflutterffly » June 26th, 2009, 9:21 am

cloudveil are light and durable.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Eric » June 26th, 2009, 9:24 am

Call the spot and checkout the news simms boots.
Eric
Eric

Postby gabe » June 26th, 2009, 4:55 pm

although with the rise of technology in the rubber soles, boots still need to be treated.
organisms can still hitch a ride on laces, seams, etc.

Keep yourself updated on the battle to protect our waters from invasive species
TU link for Aquatic Invasive Species
www.protectyourwaters.net
gabe

Postby rkfiske » June 26th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I use rubber soles now and try very hard to make sure I don't cross contaminate. I was up on some local water that has NZMS and was saddened to see just how much they infest the water. The rubber is just more a concern for me for its ability on the trail.
rkfiske

Postby RichardCullip » June 26th, 2009, 8:18 pm

i used my new pair of Simms Rivershed boots today for the first time. I came away very impressed. First with the fit and ease of getting them on. Second, I found the new Vibram "sticky" sole rubber to do just that - stick to whatever I was walking on. They passed their first field trial with flying colors.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/rivershed_wading_boot_streamtread.html
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby BirdDog » June 26th, 2009, 9:57 pm

I havea pair of the G3 guide with felt/studs......just bought the same boots with the vibram soles for an upcoming trip. They were the best * of hte simms line for me. They seem very sturdy and the rubber seems very sticky.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Return to General Fly Fishing