REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

just sharing a review link

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

just sharing a review link

Postby gabe » June 30th, 2009, 10:45 pm

http://www.theflyfisher.com/reports/gear.cfm

today i was at the fly shop picking up some material, and checking out some boots.
I've been curious about the Simms Rivershed since they looked very rugged.
I was attracted to them for the rugged rubber panel, and lack of side stitching which i've had problems with taking a beating.

Anyhow, at first sight the riversheds looked awesome. however at closer inspection I noticed that the rubber lug sole was stitched on from the bottom. what the heck?!? er... isn't that the area that takes the most wear...?
anyhow, I didn't bother to question for help, wasn't ready to make the purchase today so didn't want to waste anyones time. however *?
anyone care to indulge me on this? was this just for demo, or are they all like that. I didn't notice that on the Simms sight.
gabe

Re: just sharing a review link

Postby darrin terry » June 30th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Gabe, the Riversheds are, of the three pairs of Simms boots I have, the most comfortable and easiest on/off boots I own. As for the stitching, I do not know if that will be an issue. The Aquastealth soled Headwaters boots I bought last year were stitched the same way. I worried about them for the same obvious reasons, but so far they have held up. Of course I have not used them since January as they are now set aside for use in NZMS waters (last use was the Owens area).

As far as the Vibram soles, they are fantastic so far. I have found a few spots on creeks that they were wanting to slip. However, in most cases all I had to do was carefully plant my foot put weight on it and they held. If I could not do that, say on a sloping rock face under water that was slippery, then I had to back off and find another way around. That only happened in two spots my last creek day. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Return to General Fly Fishing