REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

One Rod, Ten Flies

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

One Rod, Ten Flies

Postby dna » July 2nd, 2009, 9:38 am

Ok, saw this on another board, but thought it'd be fun:

Things take a turn for the worse, :gun: economy, and you have to sell off all the rods in your quiver except for 1. Just your luck, after the ebay-athon, you only have enough money to buy 10 flies. You have as many of the flies you will ever need, but you are limited to only ten types in one size each. Lastly, you are limited to your "home waters/region". What would you pick?!

I would pick:

Winston BIIT 8'6" 4wt (although this can change drastically when my new rod arrives :doh:)
I pick this rod becuase it does everything I want to do when fishing for trout. Granted it is not the best in all aspects, e.g. streamers, big nymphs, but it definitely gets the job done. It is the best graphite dry fly/dry-dropper rod I have ever fished. The tippet protection on the rod is second to none. My only cualm is that I would probably want a cane rod instead, but I have yet to find that perfect cane rod.

1. Orange Stimulator #10
2. Olive Elk Hair Caddis #14
3. Parachute Adams #16
4. BWO #18
5. Black Ant #12
6. Robo PT #16
7. Deep Sparkle Pupa #18
8. Golden Stone #10
9. Wooly Bugger #10
10. Big ol' Articulated Bunny Leech
dna

Re: One Rod, Ten Flies

Postby darrin terry » July 2nd, 2009, 9:55 am

Hmm, interesting…

My choice:

Would likely be similar to yours although, of the rods in my quiver, I'd have to vote for the Sage VT2 9'0" 4wt 4pc.

Dries, nymphs, small to medium sized streamers. Big enough to fish any water in my local area, although not for every type of fish here. Small enough being a 4wt that creeking is still fun. Long enough that mending is not a chore. And I have rarely felt the 9'0" length to be too long on creeks, sometimes not needed, but that's not the same thing.

These are in no particular order:
1. Orange Stimulator #12
2. Sponge Bob Caddis #16
3. Parachute Adams #16
4. Pheasant Tail (any variant though flash is preferred) #16
5. Articulated Bugger in tan or ginger #10 with a #8 stinger
6. Christmas Midge #16
7. Deep Sparkle Pupa #16
8. Carmel Caddis #16
9. Royal Trude #16 (I have caught more fish on this pattern than all others put together I think)
10. Foam Beetle #14

Yeah, I think that would do. Things do change though. Might be some other flies I'd prefer in some situations, but I think these would do.

Fortunately I already have my float tube. :D :D :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby beachbum » July 2nd, 2009, 9:58 am

Orvis Zero G, 9 foot / 4 wt full flex, would be the rod I keep (for trout). My salmon, and salt list would be different.

Flies (trout):

Sparkle dun, PMD, 18
Parachute Adams 20
BH Robo Pheasant Tail 16
elk hair caddis, blonde 18
BWO sparkle dun 20
black leeeeeeech 8 (best crossover fly. I have used this for salmon, trout, steelhead, and salt water)
green sparkle wooly bugger 10
san juan worm- bubble gum-14
PMD emerger 18
zebra midge 22

That was tough to just pick 10, but I could fish almost anywhere with these!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby briansII » July 2nd, 2009, 10:32 am

You'd find me hanging from the shower curtain rod.............

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 am

One rod, eh? I'd have to go with my Sage 590-4 RPL. Had it since 1990--replaced 2 tips on it so far. Great all around rod capable of throwing dries when I must, streamers, and the double nymphs with weight rigs I usually use. Also capable of fishing the light midge rigs I also use. Flies:

1. SIZE 14 TUNG Cone MICROBUGGER--Olive
2. Size 20 Black Tung bead BH Zebra
3. Size 20 Tung bead BWO
4. Size 16 tung bead Copper John
5. Size 12 Tung bead Prince
6. Size 12 Tung bead Cal's Birds Nest--Dark Brown
7. Size 6 Tung Cone Olive Bunny Leech
8. Size 4 Tung Cone Articulated Circus Peanut
9. Size 10 Orange stimulator
10. Size 18 parachute adams
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby dna » July 2nd, 2009, 11:11 am

briansII wrote:You'd find me hanging from the shower curtain rod.............

briansII

:lol: :lol: I knew it would be all or nothing for some...hilarious, man.
dna

Postby castaway » July 2nd, 2009, 11:21 am

I think the 4wt's are the best all around..

I don't own a 4wt... a 3wt and a 5wt...

hmm.... very hard choice between my St. Croix SCIII 3wt (the first rod I built and owned) or my Sage ZXL 5wt

But I guess I can only have one... do I sacrifice my small stream fun or do I sacrifice my big fish, heavy rig fun.

Well, I enjoy Czech nymphing... so I will have to go with my Sage ZXL 9' 5wt.

Flies

1) Yellow Kern emerger with legs
2) black with red small unweighted mini bugger type fly... forgot the name... but its deadly.
3) Lafontaine Sparkle pupa
4) stonefly
5) yellow stimmy with legs...
6) Orange/rootbeer stimmy with legs
7) Robo PT
8) G's catch em all in white
9) muddler minnow pattern or maybe a xmas midge
10) BWO

I know, I know... there are times of the year where the midge is the only productive fly... but I dont enjoy fishing midges as much as I do the big ugly flies.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby BirdDog » July 2nd, 2009, 9:22 pm

Id be willing to sacrafice and go with 5 fly's: I would lend my other 5 fly's to a lesser angler :o :o :o :o

1)#10 Black Wolly Bugger (tungsten conehead of course)
2)#12 GREEN Stimulator
3)#16 PA
4)#20 CDC Biot BWO
5)#18 Copper John

Bonus Fly:
#10 Rainy's Grand Hopper

I think the 490 Winston Boron IIX is a fine all around rod for dries and light nymphing. Of course I dont own this size!!!

Midger: Like to see someone still appreciates the RPL, one of the finest rods I have ever cast.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby Flyjunkie » July 2nd, 2009, 9:57 pm

Does it have to be strictly related to Trout????

'Cause the Pacific is Home Waters to me... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby midger » July 3rd, 2009, 5:54 am

Flyjunkie wrote:Does it have to be strictly related to Trout????

Of course not. I'd be interested to see what flies an old salt would think should be in the top ten as I'm clueless on ocean fishing. Go for it, Dean.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby midger » July 3rd, 2009, 5:58 am

BirdDog wrote:
Midger: Like to see someone still appreciates the RPL, one of the finest rods I have ever cast.

BD,
While it may not be my favorite rod for a specific type of fishing, it is my favorite all around, bring it on every trip rod. I naturally fish much lighter weight rods locally and heavier rods in Alaska, but this old RPL has a near and dear spot to my heart and has managed to catch a few fish in its nearly 20 year life.
midger

Postby dna » July 3rd, 2009, 6:03 am

Flyjunkie wrote:Does it have to be strictly related to Trout????

As Mike said, it is NOT limited to trout... :rockon:
dna

Postby Flyjunkie » July 3rd, 2009, 6:21 am

O.K... I figured with the Folks Here It would be alright..(thought on some other Boards I use to post on Years ago.. they'd Only allow For Trout).

My Rod : a Winston Boron II MX 8wt. ( I like others, but this series has fast become my Favorite Ocean Stick..). I'd match it to a Abel Super 8 Large Arbor reel.

Flies:
#2 Chartreuse & White Clouser
#2 Olive & White Clouser
#6 Razzler
#4 Brown Surf rat
#4 Chartreuse Newport Special (with Craft Fur Tail)
#1 Olive/White Deceiver
#6 Dark Razzler
#2/0 Jetty Ripper
#1/0 White Fatal Attraction
#2/0 Chartreuse/Green Marabou Deceiver

I could catch Surf perch and Corbina O.K.... But would be able to do well enough with Bonito, Calico Bass, Barracudas, Halibut, Leopard Sharks.. Plus if Not too * big, Yellowtail & White Sea Bass...

Sorta a Tough call for Saltwater because there is alot more variety then on Trout Streams, Rivers and lakes.. But I'd feel best covered for only one Rod with an 8wt...

(I certainly Hope it never comes to that.. and It probably never will ;) ;) )
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby midger » July 3rd, 2009, 6:48 am

Dean,
Thanks. I even notice that your first two flies are clousers, so I guess I do have some saltwater flies already tied. ;)

Is the Winston MX a faster actioned rod? Never cast one and am only familiar with their IM6, LT, WT, and IIx series.
midger

Postby Flyjunkie » July 3rd, 2009, 8:28 am

midger wrote:Dean,
Thanks. I even notice that your first two flies are clousers, so I guess I do have some saltwater flies already tied. ;)

Is the Winston MX a faster actioned rod? Never cast one and am only familiar with their IM6, LT, WT, and IIx series.

MIKE,

Yeah, the MX is faster then the II-X series... but the tip still has play to it.. the MX series was designed with saltwater applications in Mind... as fast as they are, the MXs are a Joy to cast and certainly have the backbone for wrenching up deep sulking fish (like Black Skipjack near the end of the fight, when they are about 100 ft. below the Panga and still don't wanna come up..).

The List of Flies are in no particular order... but Yes, if you have Clousers you already have some great saltwater patterns... Just start tying them with SuperHair and in larger sizes.... ;)
Flyjunkie

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing