REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Pack Rod

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Pack Rod

Postby Harley1 » July 4th, 2009, 11:23 am

Any body got some good ideas on a nice pack rod. The only rods I ve got are several two pcs. I took my 8'6" 3 wt in to the Kersage / Charlotte lake area last year and I got a lot of strange looks and questions, because it was in the tube. I think most thought it was a rifle or something.

Thanks.
Harley1

Re: Pack Rod

Postby darrin terry » July 4th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Anyone that thinks a flyrod tube holds a rifle is bloody idiot. Let em be confused.

As to pack rods, the only ones I have heard good things about are Cabelas Stowaways. The others I've heard reports on were always reported as too stiff for the rated weight.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Papasequoia » July 4th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Lately I have been backpacking either an 8' or a 9' rod, both of them 4 piece (a 3wt and a 4wt). Even with the tube they break down small enough to be strapped on the side of a pack without sticking up in the air like an alien transceiver. I have one of the Redington Wayfarers (7 foot, 3 wt., 6 pieces) and it fits great into a daypack or whatever. But, it is not really strong enough to punch out a long cast on a backcountry lake in a headwind. Those are my thoughts, no specific rod to mention, anything good in a 4 piece should be fine. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby RSetina » July 4th, 2009, 2:10 pm

For a couple hundred dollars you could get a nice Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece. I have the 4 wt and it's a very nice rod for $200.

http://www.orvis.com/store/search_resul ... nt%20flyer
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby fly addict » July 4th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Try the Echo Carbon. 4pc rods with a soft tube, great warranty, and cast like a Winston WT. Which means it is a true medium action rod that will load up for close work. $170 is a great price for this rod. I plan on getting on for small stream work, and I'm a diehard Winston freak! :rockon:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Bernard » July 5th, 2009, 9:33 am

The Echo Trip is an 8 piece rod. Too many pieces imho but it casts well. It's only produced (for now?) in a 5wt but I think 5 is good for high lakes because you can cut through wind and get some distance if there's that one riser further out etc.
B
Bernard

Postby midger » July 5th, 2009, 4:33 pm

This is a tough question without knowing more info. gawd knows there are a scazillion rods that could/would make good pack rods, but we need to know a bit more, or at least, I do. What's your budget? There are some excellent higher end rods like Sage, Winston, Scott, etc that have rods that could function as pack rods. There are also lower end rods like TFO, Echo, St Croix, Cabelas, etc that also have rods that could suffice.

What kind action are you wanting? Where are you packing--ie what size quarry will you be going after? What kind of flies do you like to throw? Are you fishing from a tube in lakes, or do you prefer the teeny, tiny creeks? What packed length tube are you shooting for as this will determine if you go with a 3, 4, 5, or 6 foot length.

Can you build your own rod or are you looking for a manufacturer made rod? There are some really nice fiberglass, medium action rods if you wanted to make a Lamiglass rod up and it comes in 6 pieces so would pack down to around 15 inchs and the glass make fine dry fly rods if you like the slower actioned rods. You can also build a very nice 6'6" 4 piece on the Forecast blanks. This is a medium action, great for tiny, brushy creeks, and it packs down to about 20 inches long.

If it were for me, I'd look for a sage slt 489-5 (or a 389-5 if you wanted a lighter lined rod). Packs down to 21.5 inches, capable of lake fishing from a tube, softer, moderate action that is great for flipping dries, but enough backbone as a 4 weight to thrown a pair of nymphs as well. But hey, this would be my choice, and I just happen to like the actions of the slt series. even though it is a rod that sage no longer makes, there are many for sale on ebay.

good luck in your search.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Bernard » July 5th, 2009, 10:33 pm

I was pondering this thread as I was walking back from some Sunday night Margaritas in San Diego and I just remembered a key factor: A good pack rod is one that you can abuse or lose. Back country treks have their share of hazards and mishaps. Midger brings up great points and ideas but I think one factor (or question) when doing anything backcountry is: Can it be abused?
My 2 cents (or was it Three Fingers?).
B
Bernard

Postby briansII » July 6th, 2009, 10:51 am

I think Midger brings up another good point. If you plan to fish lakes, your rod selection will be different than if you just plan to fish creeks. IMHO, a 4wt would be minimum to effectively fish lakes. Longer casts, in possibly windy conditions. Also, you'll be tossing weighted streamers.

briansII
briansII

Postby dh2x » July 9th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Elkhorn makes a 8' 2wt. that's 4 pieces., and an 8'6" 3wt. that's 5 pieces. Know em' both well. The wife uses the 3wt. and I the 2wt., no complaints.
Dean
dh2x

Postby stanbery » July 10th, 2009, 5:24 am

Why dont you look into Albright A-5 rod
Read a review of the A5

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodComparisonAlbrightG.LoomisOrvisSageScottTempleForkThomasThomasTomMorganRodsmithsR.L.Winstonrodtesting.asp

Here is a link to Albright as well
A5 Rod info. This is a 5 piece rod for $139.
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/a-5-fly-rods.html

The reels they have at albright are nice as well.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing