REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

To net or not to net, that is the question. . .

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

To net or not to net, that is the question. . .

Postby mtnguru » July 9th, 2009, 9:51 pm

On my recent trip and many excursions in the past, I had nearly as many LDR's as fish that came to hand. Especially on this past trip, these fish were so feisty that so many threw the hook it was getting frustrating. Now I have a net that I break out when I am fishing for larger fish but I never bring it on these small streams. Maybe it would be just one more thing for me to lose, I just lost a fly box on a past trip.

I've fished with a few of you that use them and others that choose not to bring them. I guess my question is what do you all think on this matter?

Should we be happy with the easy release and content that this fish suffered less stress?

I often grab the leader to bring in the fish, fearing for the integrity of my 0wt.

I don't know, whatcha guys think?

Chris
mtnguru

Re: To net or not to net, that is the question. . .

Postby beachbum » July 9th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I use a big net, and it serves me well. My last fishing trip, I didn't use it, and lost flies (and the last hot fly) to bungled hook removal techniques. It seems to be easier on the fish too.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby BirdDog » July 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

good question.....I am about 70% NO net, 30% use a net. If I have a chance at some nicer fish I throw the net on the vest.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby rayfound » July 9th, 2009, 10:56 pm

I'm generally in favor of carrying the net along... even though I often don't use it. I think there is a few key spots where a net is a great tool, even on the small streams that you and I both frequent (though I haven't yet had the pleasure of sharing with you).

1. Landing/releasing fish fast - a net can really cut down the total time a fish is on the line, especially with bigger fish.

2. Stealth - one of the biggest reasons I like a net, is it allows me to scoop a fish from the pool above where I'm standing, without spooking the other fish I hope to catch from that pool.

3. Sticks/brush, etc... - when the line, fish, rod, whatever end up tangled and mangled in the above and below water obstacles, a net is a great way to scoop and land that fish without getting frustrated.

4. Photo ops - just keep the fish, unhooked and underwater in the net while you get your camera out of your pocket, then pick him up and get the shot... or take the shot right in the net or whatever (Though I hate the lighting effects a net creates).

So yeah.... that's my $.02 - I like nets.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby darrin terry » July 9th, 2009, 11:10 pm

I always carry a net. Always. Simple as that. This way I can use it whenever it seems needed. If a fish does not want to settle down for the release the net is there. I can use the net to basically act as a corral to contain them and make the release easier. On small streams/creeks where small fish are the expected fare, a net is not always needed, but there is rarely a day on even the smallest creek where the net goes entirely unused. Sometimes simply because fishing the water is easy, but getting into a position to land a fish is not so easy. The net extends my reach by about 18 inches. Since I prefer to not hoist a fish out of the water while hooked, meaning I don't like to have them hanging midair, the almost entirely eliminates the need to do so.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby tomsakai » July 9th, 2009, 11:49 pm

The only time I didn't carry a net this year I was fishing a small local creek. I caught a larger size fish; wish I had been able to measure it with my net and take a proper picture (the darn fish wouldn't stay still in my hand).
tomsakai

Postby briansII » July 10th, 2009, 10:51 am

You are not alone Doc. I own a few nets, but I don't carry them anymore. I think the fabric nets can remove some of the fish's slime coat. I do think the new rubber nets are much less aggressive. The one I own is too heavy for my liking, but seems pretty easy on the fish. I personally don't feel a net helps me land a fish any quicker. Smaller trout get the strip in and release treatment. Big fish get played a bit more, but at some point they either come in, or get broken off. I have absolutely no problem breaking a big trout off if I think the fight has gone too long. Typically i'll tail a big fish for control during release.

briansII
briansII

Postby mtnguru » July 10th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Good feedback all around, thanks!

Ray, you bring up some good points and yes, we need to fish soon.

BriansII, I totally agree about the long fight, especially if the fish takes it deep and gets hung up in a larger pool. Definitely one of the benefits of fishing barbless. I don't mind giving the fish some slack and allowing them to easily throw the hook. About 90% of the flies I tie now are with barbless hooks.

Doc, if you hadn't commented I would have been sorely disappointed :) And I do tend to agree with you, I get enough to hand that I should be content with the LDRs, although there is always that one fish that gets away.

Chris
mtnguru

Postby darrin terry » July 10th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Sorry, but I think you read too much into the 'landing the fish means I am a better fisherman' thing. For myself, when I talk about the net helping me land a fish, it's not so I can add it to a fish count. It's more about getting the fish in so that the fly can be removed and the safely released. Even on small creeks and with small fish, a certain percentage of fish hooked just don't settle down for easy hook removal.

Take this fish for example:

Notice how deep the fly is in his mouth. That's a #12 or 14 stimi. All that is visible of the fly is the eye of the hook. I was surprised at how far he got that thing in his mouth.

The fly was so big in comparison to the fishes mouth that cutting it off was not, IMO, an option. It had to come out if the fish were to live, I thought. Luckily in this case the hook was caught in the center of the mouth and not in the gills. Also a surprise considering how deep it was. I still needed the forceps/hemostats to remove it. I needed the net in this case to corral the fish safely while I got the tool to hand and positioned myself in such a way that I'd not slip or anything while doing the removal. I think I used the net on, maybe, three or four fish this day. None were large, just in situations where the net seemed the safer option for the fish.

Hopefully he survived the experience. I kept him in the water as much as possible while dealing with him. Especially after I realised the issue with the fly.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Pete » July 10th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I carry both a Ketchum Release and a net. Depending on the situation I will use the best option. The Ketchum Release doesn't work too well on the itty bittys but, will work great on slightly heavier fish. Alot if times I will just use the wet hand release with my hemostats.

I fish everything barbless so I don't have to fight hooks very often, unless the little pig glups it like the Brookie in Big "D"s pic.

I don't own a rubber net yet, so I hesitate to use my soft cloth net.

Pete
Pete

Postby tycaster » July 10th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I own a soft cloth net, and I always carry it, but mostly because it's tethered to my vest. Funny thing is, I started using it more consistently because I thought it would be easier on the fish. I guess it is probably more abrasive than a wet hand but, in reality, it think alot of the fish I landed by hand prior to tying the net to my vest would wiggle free before I could remove the fly, let alone take a pic, which I don't always do, making it necessary to grab them again.

I could be wrong, but using the net feels easier on the fish to me because I can keep them in the water easier and get a pic without handling them at all, and then just cradle them under the net to remove the fly and let them go.
tycaster

Postby rayfound » July 10th, 2009, 2:30 pm

I didn't mean to indicate that I really use my net a lot... I mean, I carry it, but most fish, I don't handle... I just grab the leader, slide my hand down to the fly, grab the hook shank, and then invert and push the fish off with my fingers... I fish barbless 100% (I just debarb before putting in the box), and most fish come off easily this way.

I still think having a net is a good idea for the reasons I stated above.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby RubiKinda » July 10th, 2009, 2:59 pm

No net for me....unless I'm fishing with the electro-shocker.
RubiKinda

Postby gabe » July 10th, 2009, 4:17 pm

i don't carry a net. I find that slipping my finger just behind their gills or in em, will keep em still enough for me to get the barbs out.
ha!

I do all the above, depends on the situation. Though all efforts made for the best landing and release. Well except the over the shoulder launches that happens. you know you've done it... oh and i just knocked a fish out cold on a rock a month ago. I couldn't help but laugh. I dunno, guess it was the moment. i know...

I also get my net nice and soaked while fighting the wish to ensure its as saturated as can be.
gabe

Postby dh2x » July 14th, 2009, 7:04 pm

I've been trying here lately not to use one. For me it's just easier with a net, less stress on me and the critter. I use the rubber measure net which makes it a breeze removing the bugs. While I'm getting ready to release the fish I have the net half way or more in the water so I have a little holding pen not even touching the fish(I know enough already).
dh2x

Return to General Fly Fishing