REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Buggy Question?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Buggy Question?

Postby dh2x » July 10th, 2009, 10:07 pm

I wanted to ask what sort of bug repellent you use. If this was asked before please include a link to it and that's that. Why I'm asking is getting ready to maybe drown some flies this weekend I realized I'm about out of what I've been using :shock: . Last summer I looked around on the Internet and decided to go with Ben's(Strong, but kinda' nasty). I ordered the home and away set(I think) that has a big pump bottle and a little one(Little one runs out refill with the bigger one) which is perfect to take along in a chest pack, pocket, etc..
Thanks,
Dean
dh2x

Re: Buggy Question?

Postby mtnguru » July 11th, 2009, 8:23 am

Dean,
If you are headed up to local socal, the bugs aren't bad at all right now. Maybe a few black flies in your face and forest ants dropping down your shirt collar but that's about it.

As for my choice in repellent, on a long backpacking trip I bring a tube of Ultrathon. This stuff is kinda thick but works extremely well. This stuff doesn't smell quite as strong as Ben's but it is pretty pungent. Another really good product is made by Repel, the Lemon Eucalyptus spray smells good and works better than you would think.

Also one more idea that I am thinking about using...http://www.backpacker.com/may_2000_skills_health_insect_tips/gear/4105

Chris
mtnguru

Postby rayfound » July 11th, 2009, 10:02 am

the 100% deet* is virtually the same from every brand. It sticks terrible, but Its the only thing I've found to actually work.

*its never REALLY 100%, usually 98.11% or something like that.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby beachbum » July 11th, 2009, 4:35 pm

REI Deet, and buzz off clothes. Sometimes a headnet, and gloves are required.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » July 11th, 2009, 4:42 pm

DrCreek wrote:Dean,

Even the girls steer clear of me when I'm wearing that fragrance. :lol:

Doc

Sure Doc, blame it on the bug spray :funnyup:
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby BirdDog » July 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I have found when fishing for the day, or from my car I use ultrathon(aprox 35% deet) spray...carry it with me and also will reapply. If I am backpacking.....without a doubt, 100% deet.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby darrin terry » July 11th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I remember several years back, maybe 8-9 years, a show on TV reviewing a study some college research program did on insect repellent. If I recall correctly, the study showed that the only truly effective repellents were those with DEET in them. Those citronella things for camps and such basically had no effect unless you were within a few feet of them. As for the DEET based stuff, the study claimed that the best results in comparison to the percentage of DEET came at about 30%. Above that the returns diminished quickly. That said, you can still find me using the stuff anywhere from about 20-98% DEET. I basically use what's available. I used to keep a bottle of 'Ben's 100' in my fly vest. Late last summer its cap came off in my vest pocket. I did not notice as I had been wading the river pretty deep. I found out a few days later when I picked up the vest to clean it out and repack for the next weekend. The stuff melted the plastic case of one of my SA System X boxes. It's still usable, but is now clouded and even deformed slightly.

Be careful when handling your fly lines and such if you get the stuff on your hands. It can and will harm plastics.

I've been looking at the Ultrathon stuff recently. I would like to get another tube or something to keep in the vest. Hopefully I will not have a recurrence of last years spill.

BTW, that study showed that at approx. 30% strength, the DEET based repellents cut the number of mosquito bites by approx. 75% compared to no repellent. The different methods were tested by groups that spent the night in mosquito country. The groups, each with a different method to test were kept separate and without communicating with each other. If I recall it all with anything approaching accuracy after the years gone by.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby dh2x » July 11th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Thank you all,
I'll check REI, that's where I bought Ben's. Today was pure *, flies, no see-um's, you-namem'. Apply, reapply, reapply, reapply :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: . Sh_t I still here em'. Fish were eager, but the pain in the a_s bugs took the fun out of it.
Thanks again guys,
Dean
dh2x

Postby briansII » July 12th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Sorry. A little late to the thread.

I use 3M, Ultrathon as my go to bug repellent. Used it this morning, and has skeeters buzzing me, but not a single bite.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... /Products/

It seems to last longer/as advertised. One application and i'm usually good to go for the day. I use the cream, that way I can apply it just where I want it. I also use REI and Ben's 100. Both work well as long as I reapply it.

For non DEET, I use Cutters Advanced Sport( or Outdoorsman). I hate the smell of DEET, and this works ok, if you reapply often.

http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/Pr ... ncedSport/

I also treat my fishing clothes with the same stuff Buzz Off clothing is treated with. Stuff is called permethrin. Below is the premixed version. I buy it as a higher % insecticide, and mix my own(way cheaper). Depending on the concentration, the treated clothes will last a whole season/many washings.

http://www.rei.com/product/768970?cm_mm ... erralID=NA

I take extra precautions for skeeters. For what ever reason, they just love me. :oops:

Don't get me started on ticks..........

briansII
briansII

Postby Bernard » July 13th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I try and just stay covered even when it's hot. Most repellants annoy me as far as scents/or residue ... anyone use the little electronic buzzers?
( http://www.notcot.com/archives/2005/05/solar_mosquito.php ).
So far I am finding mixed success but this very last weekend it seemed to help.
B
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing