REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Willow beach - Colorado river??

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Willow beach - Colorado river??

Postby rayfound » August 1st, 2009, 10:35 pm

In Vegas now, family is putting the boat in at willow beach in the morning. I have my typical trout rig with me... Any ideas to try? I have a few streamers, but I'm not sure I would know what to do if I hooked a linesides. (ESP on my 3wt)

cheers fellas

Ray
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: Willow beach - Colorado river??

Postby Justin » August 2nd, 2009, 8:20 am

Ray,
That's where I started fly fishing!
Not the most beautiful place in the world but still fun.
I had luck with Olive or Black buggers probabally in size#10 or 12#
They used to stock trout every friday when the water was cool but that's probabally
done now, you should still be able to get a few trout...maybe and there are always stripers around.
Good luck and try to stay cool!!

Justin
Justin

Postby rkfiske » August 2nd, 2009, 9:11 am

As usual, I know nothing but I just wanted to say have fun and good luck!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » August 2nd, 2009, 1:55 pm

Contrary to Justin I think the Black Canyon and Colorado River below Hoover dam is extremely beautiful desert terrain as is the water, especially 3 miles above Willow Beach all the way to Hoover Dam. Fishing on the other hand, well in my opinion just sucks compared to how it was 15 years ago. Now if I were you and didn't have a boat I'd go fish off the pier they have at the hatchery. Trout should always be in that general area. Only thing is it's just big water, and forget about wading even if it's 120 degrees out, your boys wont like that cold water for too long ;) ;) That whole area has been like my 2nd home all my life.

As far as any fly pattern or suggestions, I don't have any, I've given up on the trout in the river and have TRIED to go for stripers that past 2 times I've been up there on our boat.

Have fun if you do go out!

Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Return to General Fly Fishing