REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Good old maintenance

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Good old maintenance

Postby Bakoguy » August 25th, 2009, 7:53 pm

I'm somewhere between Jon and Flyjunkie. I try to clean the reels and line after evey use but I don't. Howevwe, some of my lines have lasted over 10 years without cracking. My secret came from a book written by Cathy Beck a noted fly fisherwoman and writer. Clean your line with a wash cloth, warm water and a very mild soap. Then take an Armorall pad and strip the line through the pad. It not only cleans the line further it protects the line coating. A little silicone lubricant goes a long way to making your reel sing.
Bakoguy

Postby meb » August 30th, 2009, 1:17 pm

With my trout gear, I'm pretty bad at maintenance. I'll clean my lines maybe once a year and my click and pawl reels when they sound gritty. The only thing I do do each time is leave my equipment out to dry.

When I used to salt water fish, I'd really clean by reels and line and rod carefully because the salt water and sand will gum up a reel in a hurry.

I wash my waders and boots with fresh water each time, although not usually for a few days after getting home.

I always drink a few cold beers after fishing for my mental maintenance.

Mark
meb

Postby Flyjunkie » August 30th, 2009, 2:19 pm

meb wrote:

I always drink a few cold beers after fishing for my mental maintenance.

Mark

Well, Yeah..... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing