REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Large Arbor Reels...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Large Arbor Reels...

Postby briansII » September 4th, 2008, 11:09 am

I've been using....dare I say it.....ORVIS, Battenkill LA reels for quite sometime now. No problems with any of the reels, and they're more than adequate for the fish I catch......

briansII :oops:
briansII

Postby stanbery » September 5th, 2008, 3:31 am

briansII wrote:I've been using....dare I say it.....ORVIS, Battenkill LA reels for quite sometime now. No problems with any of the reels, and they're more than adequate for the fish I catch......

briansII :oops:

We need to get you into some bigger fish!! :o :o Have you meet FlyBob yet? He loves those little guys as well. :D :D

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Eric » September 5th, 2008, 6:24 am

RubiKinda wrote:Problem is it takes about 10 times the machining time to cut titanium than aluminum and although the material I'm using was a "donation" from my boss, it would be around $150 to buy. It's super corrosion resitant too. I'll start posting pics next week when I get into the new one. I need feedback on the style factor too.

That is how companies are born. You build them and if they are good someone will be willing to drop the bucks to pay for them. * the lot of us would be willing to be test subjects.
Eric
Eric

Postby briansII » September 5th, 2008, 9:00 am

stanbery wrote:We need to get you into some bigger fish!! :o :o Have you meet FlyBob yet? He loves those little guys as well. :D :D

Jon
[/quote]

Little guys!?!? Those are my personal best! :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby gabe » September 5th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Danielsson Fly Reels
OG Large Arbor
gabe

Postby STMFlyGuide » September 5th, 2008, 5:48 pm

I think Danielsson is the company that bought the loop reels ..Those are exactly like the loops.. with that name... Sweet to say the least
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby stanbery » September 6th, 2008, 3:10 am

briansII wrote:
stanbery wrote:We need to get you into some bigger fish!! :o :o Have you meet FlyBob yet? He loves those little guys as well. :D :D

Jon

briansII[/quote]

:o :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sasha » September 6th, 2008, 7:48 am

briansII wrote:

briansII

Dont worry about it, I like fishin for the little guys too. Just look at any of my reports ;) :D

As far as the Orvis L.A. Battenkill, I use a LABK II on my 5WT and love it.
Sasha

Postby castaway » September 13th, 2008, 9:49 pm

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby RiverRat » October 16th, 2008, 9:32 am

I want to bring up this topic again...Large Arbor reels that suck. I just bought a new Scierra XDP 5/6 weight to use for my SAGE Bass rod and my RPL+696 Steelhead rod. Super beefy reel with a great drag that many saltwater anglers rave about. Took it up on the Kern once to try out before a planned salmon trip and the piece of junk got bent somehow. I didn't fall, tumble, swim or anything bad.

Called them to complain this morning and guess what I got. An answering machine saying we are sorry but our US operations have shut down. The reel is usable again after bending the spool out with my forceps but it's leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Buyer beware of Scierra. I guess I need to call Denmark now

RiverRat
RiverRat

Postby strohble » October 19th, 2008, 4:19 pm

I recently bought a Bauer, Rogue 3 wide arbor reel for my new steelhead rod and I've got absolutely no complaints about it. Silky smooth, fast line retrieval, the drag is like butter dipped in butter and with the lifetime warranty I definitely got my money's worth. For my 5 wt. I've got a Reddington, CD wide arbor reel, it's pretty dated now and I remember it was pretty affordable when I bought it but it's truly stood the test of time and abuse. I've been checking out new reels for my 5 wt. but realized "Why?" Keep it clean and lubed up and it'll probably last me another 10 years. It's nothing fancy but I can't seem to break it!!
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Postby RichardCullip » October 19th, 2008, 4:38 pm

I'm partial to Galvan reels ( http://www.galvanflyreels.com/index.html ). I'm using their OB series in the smaller sizes for my lightweight rods and have Galvan Torques (T-4, T-5, T-6, T-8) on my bigger rods. Smooth strong drags for the rare occasion you might need to actually use a drag ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby darrin terry » October 19th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I agree with Richard on Galvan Reels. I bought a Torque T-6 last year and love it. They are some of the best reels in the world from what i have read, repeatedly. They are not only made in the USA, but here in CA. Lifetime warranty and a reputation for jumping on getting any problems taken care of real quick. A bit expensive for my wallet though. I wish more shops carried their Rush reels as they are identical to the Torques except for the amount of machining required and final weight - a touch heavier. They also go for over $100 less and have the exact same drag as the Torque. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Flyjunkie » October 20th, 2008, 8:54 am

I use the Torques out in the Salt...and there You'd better have quality or alot of Species out there will Destroy Your reel without breaking a sweat.....

Torques are Top Notch and well worth the price one has to pay... 'Cause it's an investment for the Long haul.. You'll be Using them for Years.. and as already mentioned, the Galvan Family (all Really Kind and friendly Folks) back their product 100%.... They do Cost $$$ , but you'll be using them for a very long time, so in the end You end up spending Less Money... ;) And when you Do hook that Fish of a Lifetime, you'll not be worrying about the reel breaking down on you.... (peace of Mind included in the Price, I Love that...)

Technically Torques are Mid Arbour Reels... but that's alright.... 8-)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing