REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Manzanar Trout Fisherman

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Manzanar Trout Fisherman

Postby dna » September 17th, 2009, 10:02 am

I came upon this site and I found it to be a truly amazing story and thought I'd share it for some East Side history...

http://fearnotrout.com/

I can only imagine...
dna

Re: Manzanar Trout Fisherman

Postby stanbery » September 17th, 2009, 11:46 pm

DNA

Have you ever stopped and looked around? It is worth the stop.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby rkfiske » September 18th, 2009, 5:01 am

It's always sad to pass by Manzanar on my way up. It's always a reminder for me especially since I had several relatives who were put into internment camps. Very good read though thanks for the article.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby tomsakai » September 18th, 2009, 7:42 am

It was sad for me too when I visited Manzanar. My parents and aunts and uncles were in "relocation camps." Last March, at the Fred Hall tackle show in Long Beach, the same guy had a big exhibit on the Manzanar fishermen. It was really interesting. Tom.
tomsakai

Postby dna » September 18th, 2009, 1:01 pm

stanbery wrote:DNA

Have you ever stopped and looked around? It is worth the stop.

Jon

You know everytime I pass by, I am just too anxious to get to the water and I always tell myself next time. But, I think that I will make time, next time, as it is something to take note of and worth the time spent.

Antonio
dna

Postby McFlyfi » September 18th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Darrel Kunitomi (Flykuni on the Southwest board) is very involved in the Manzanar fishing story. I believe he gives a presentation every year about it, somewhere, sometimes at Manzanar.
If you ever want to know more, he's the guy.
McFlyfi

Postby anacrime » September 18th, 2009, 10:54 pm

i remember reading about that dude who would disappear for days/weeks to go fishing to big goldens. so rad. it seriously is the text book example of making the best out of a stupid situation.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby readyfisher » September 19th, 2009, 2:09 pm

During a break from a Tule elk hunt in 1995 ( got lucky and drew a tag) me and a friend spent several hours roaming all over the Manzanar camp. In back is the white monument. Also , the museum in Independence had (has?) a display of items made by the people of the camp. Sorry piece of US history. Along with their loss of freedom was the obvious land and property grab. Some greedy dogs got rich on the the legal taking of their real estate and goods.
readyfisher

Return to General Fly Fishing