REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Seasickness and small watercraft

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Seasickness and small watercraft

Postby briansII » September 22nd, 2009, 1:41 pm

I do a lot of fishing from a pontoon boat and float tube. Also started fishing from a boat a lot more. I get motion sickness pretty easily. I can make myself carsick driving on windy roads. :oops: I can't stand Dramamine as it makes me drowsy. I have some Bonine, on advice from others. I have tried and continue to use ginger root pills that seem to help. Just got a prescription of Scopace, which is the pill form of "the patch". I had read that the pill form can be taken as needed. If you know the day will be rough, take it in the morning before you go out. If the next day is calm, or it calms during the day, there's no need to take more. I believe the patch is meant to be left on for the entire trip. I got the milder pill dose, so I could easily adjust.....but once you are sick, it won't help. I'm hoping at some point I can find something, or a combination of somethings, that will allow me to take a trip like FlyJunkie/Dean sets up out to the islands. Better yet, Baja. I've been on boats in the ocean, and had to jump in the water(scuba diving trips)to keep from selling buicks.

A day can start out very calm, but in short order, turn into a washing machine. Smaller the watercraft, the less rolling and up and down motion. Still, i've gotten green a handful of times fishing from a toon or tube. I'll be fishing out of our boat the next few months, and that's why I got the prescription stuff.

.........the video actually makes me a bit quesy. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Re: Seasickness and small watercraft

Postby midger » September 22nd, 2009, 1:57 pm

Reminds of Crowley when the wind comes up. I've been there when it seemed that no matter how hard you moved the fins towards the bank and your vehicle the smaller the vehicle looked and it's a long walk around the Benton Crossing road to get back to Green banks. Do you suppose that's why they call it Green Banks? :D
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby COCarp » September 22nd, 2009, 2:00 pm

BII,

Knock on wood, I've never been sick. I've felt a little woozy on some unexpected rollers that you speak of in some 2-3ft. Atlantic seas. I've done a few deep sea charter trips and I would take Dramamine just cause I didn't want to get sick (I haven't taken Dramamine enough to feel the drowsiness you speak of). The best advise I've gotten was to take a pill before I fall asleep and then again a few hours before I get on the boat and then as needed from there on. Now remember that it's going to pass within 4-6 hours so keep in mind when you do ingest the initial Scopace pill.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!!!
COCarp

Postby RubiKinda » September 22nd, 2009, 4:23 pm

I used to get green as well on pretty much any boat in any size swell. Tried everything from the pill to electronic wristbands, etc. I was eventually cured by being at sea on a 5 day trip with my uncle in 15-20 ft. swells where nothing was working. He had me stop taking everything & "man- up." 2 days of chumming & wanting to go overboard, I now don't get motion sickness. It's a tough way to get over it, but I'm glad now.
RubiKinda

Postby NorcalBob » September 22nd, 2009, 8:29 pm

I've done well with Bonine. Not as many side effects as Dramamine, not counting the extra finger that I grew!!!! :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » September 23rd, 2009, 9:06 am

NorcalBob wrote:I've done well with Bonine. Not as many side effects as Dramamine, not counting the extra finger that I grew!!!! :booty:

Thanks. I may give Bonine a try this weekend. I could always use another hand when fishing. Maybe if I triple the dose i'll grow a prehensile tail. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby RichardCullip » September 23rd, 2009, 12:41 pm

Like 6-finger Bob, I use Bonine. I add wrist bands that have a little bead/bump in them that puts pressure on an accupunture spot on the wrist. This approach has proven successful for me when I head out into the deep on small boats (17-23ft in size) out of San Diego.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby fly addict » September 23rd, 2009, 5:48 pm

briansII wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:I've done well with Bonine. Not as many side effects as Dramamine, not counting the extra finger that I grew!!!! :booty:

Thanks. I may give Bonine a try this weekend. I could always use another hand when fishing. Maybe if I triple the dose i'll grow a prehensile tail. :bananadance:

briansII

So I guess we can rule out you joining the Navy any time soon?
:funnyup:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Return to General Fly Fishing