REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Putah Creek Fishing Report (Pics)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Putah Creek Fishing Report (Pics)

Postby NorcalBob » November 4th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Here is a little different fishing report on Putah Creek! Putah Creek is a very popular NorCal fishing water and is currently under consideration to be designated into the Wild Trout Program. Thanks in part to the efforts of Putah Creek Trout http://putahcreektrout.org/Welcome_.html , the DFG conducted an initial assessment survey (Phase 1) that Chris and I got to participate in. We helped to complete the first DFG electroshock and habitat assessment activity for Putah Creek and the scientific data collected will be used to hopefully desiginate Putah Creek as a Wild Trout Water. I highly recommend that you participate in one of these surveys for your local trout waters as I found it highly interesting and a lot of fun to boot! We sampled two different stretches of the creek and it was very interesting to see the number of fish vary widely in the different stretches. We collected a bit under two hundred rainbow trout, and all were wild fish. Most were small, but the two largest fish went 7.5 and 4 pounds (and I now know exactly where they live!)!!! We also collected a similar amount of non-game fish such as riffle sculpins and sticklebacks.

Preparing the electroshock barge for the day

The goal is to form a line across the stream to find all the fish!!!

Gotta push the barge over lots of rocks and overhanging vegetation, Not very easy some times!!!

Shocking and netting activities underway

Sampling a small side channel for fish using a backpack electroshocker

The fish get placed into a "side car" for further data collection. Nothing more than a trash can with holes punched in it! My job was to haul the "side car" upstream in back of the "netters" who would drop the shocked fish into the "side car". Most of the fish were small, but a few larger fish were taken

All of the collected fish were then taken to the data stations for measuring, weighing, and data recording

Soothes human tummies, and also trout! The fish were first placed into a container that contained Alka Seltzer and water. This calms the fish a bit for handling for data collection.

They were then measured....

Yes, many tried to escape!!!

Bigger fish require many hands!!!

and then weighed on a gram scale while trying to keep them from jumping out. Quite challenging to weigh a fish in tenths of the grams while they flop around!

Bigger fish get weighed the old fashioned way!!!

And then they get their picture taken. I had the "tough" job of doing the pictures!!!

Selected fish get scale samples taken for later analysis

All the data needs to be recorded

Habitat in and around the stream also gets examined. A survey crew is measuring the sample area.

Unfortunately, big fish do not tolerate electroshocking sometimes. The dark band in the middle is a bruise caused by electroshocking.

Reviving a bigger fish. Smaller fish recover very quickly, but bigger fish require more TLC

Swimming away and hopefully going back home to be caught by me!
NorcalBob

Re: Putah Creek Fishing Report (Pics)

Postby midger » November 4th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Interesting project--sounds fun also. Hope Putah makes the "cut".
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » November 4th, 2009, 3:07 pm

GPS coordinates to that big fish please. ;)

I've always wanted to do one of these studies. Unfortunately for me, they seem to always be on a weekday/work day.

briansII
briansII

Postby DubL HauL » November 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Very cool post! The fish with the electro bruise reminds me of the interesting fish caught on the Kern a few weeks back, wonder if it had a similar condition?

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby Frank » November 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Wow, that's a report!

I sure hope the science proves worth it!

Lot's of work. Good on ya- :rockon:
Frank

Postby Autodave » November 4th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Great post!Really enjoyed reading it,thanks!
Autodave

Postby 1mocast » November 4th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Cool! Hope the data will support the Wild Trout Fishery Designation...Thanks
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby fflutterffly » November 5th, 2009, 5:53 am

This is a great report loaded with handsome fish both large and small. I worked on a project for the San A. river many years ago and found the experience enlightening. Thanks for the share.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Bernard » November 5th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Hi,
I grew up fishing that place. I have fond memories of one of the most heart-stopping break-offs I have ever experienced. There was once a great CA fishing mag called "Angler" and it was fly fishing heavy although not exclusive. There was a feature in one issue of some pre-Berryessa photos of steelhead in that stream. Really a fascinating place.
Thanks for sharing!
B
Bernard

Postby RichardCullip » November 5th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Thanks for sharing. What a great process. Looks labor intensive. I've fished Putah once, a few winters ago, and had a good day. Saw some of the big ones caught but wasn't lucky enough to get one of the big ones. the little ones were fun.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 5th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Very cool Bob, thanks for sharing.

Now I know how to become such an avid catcher when it comes to flyfishing, just do as Bob does.... Shock the stream instead of using dynamite so you can catch them with a fly rod next time :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :funnyup: :funnyup:

Very cool though, now I'm expecting to see you catching some of those guys on a fly rod rather than an electric rod next time you're there ;) One of these days when I'm free and I know that DFG is in need of volunteers I'm going to do this for the sheer experience. Seems like lots of fun and it can't help but improve your knowledge.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby RSetina » November 6th, 2009, 8:40 am

Looks like alot of work but fun and interesting at the same time. Hope all goes well with the wild trout program. That would be great!
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby flybob » November 9th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Absolutly SHOCKING report!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to General Fly Fishing