REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Saving you $ so you don't have to buy...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Saving you $ so you don't have to buy...

Postby Papasequoia » December 1st, 2009, 11:53 am

...the latest edition of Backpacker magazine just to read my article. No, you should all save your bucks so that you can buy a new fly rod. :D So, I'll save you a few dollars towards that goal by posting the article here, plus extra photos. As I mentioned a while back in the Photo section, (and as Mike posted when he got his issue in the mail recently), earlier this year Backpacker was looking for submissions for a reader's issue, so I expanded and submitted a section of my trip report about an near death experience I had with my youngest son on a trip to Yellowstone a couple of years ago. They accepted it for publication, which was cool, but unfortunately they had me edit it down from about 1500 words to 800 or so. It is in the issue that should be on the stands now or very soon (Jan. 2010), I got my subscribers issue at the house a couple of weeks ago. The story is on page 86, but I'll repost it here along with a couple of extra pictures (they published one of the four I sent them).

In the summer of 2007 I took my family to the Yellowstone area where we spent a month hiking, camping, backpacking and fishing. The full report is posted in the archives section. Anyway, on one of our hikes, we went out to Grebe Lake in the park which is one of the relatively few places in the lower 48 where you can find grayling. My two boys and I were all carrying fly rods and the wife was just along for the hike. We got a late start, the midday fishing was not successful, and then the typical summer weather pattern in the Rockies brought afternoon thunderstorms. The wife and one son left the lake early to head back to the car, while I fished for about another half hour or so with my youngest until we decided to head back as well because the clouds were thickening and we wanted to beat the storm. The trail to the lake passes through a burned area from the fires of 1988 with lots of standing dead trees. I took lots of photos as we headed in and walked through this area. However, on the way out we almost died.

Timber! (the title given the article by the editors, not my choice!)

In the summer of 2007 my wife, Lupita, my two sons, Sean and Conor (then 11 & 12) and I traveled to Yellowstone for a vacation of backpacking, hiking and fly fishing. One of our hikes was to Grebe Lake where we planned to fish for grayling.

The start of the hike goes through a large area of standing dead snags left from the fires of 1988. The path winds its way through this former grove, with cut sections from trees that have fallen in years past scattered across the trail. It’s a very stark and interesting area and I enjoyed taking pictures as we hiked through it on our way in.

As is usual in the Rockies in the summertime, thunderclouds started building in the afternoon. On this day though, they seemed to build even earlier and more swiftly than usual. It had been a clear, almost cloudless day, but now the sky darkened rapidly and the wind started to rise. The fishing was not great, so my wife and Sean left early to head back to the car while Conor and I tried one more spot. However, as the clouds got darker and larger, and the wind started whipping small whitecaps onto the surface of the lake, we soon followed.

We were jogging at times, then walking to catch our breath, then jogging again, to try and beat the storm to the car.
Eventually we reached the section of dead, standing trees. We were a bit less than halfway through the area when I started to hear a strange, roaring sound that kept getting louder and more deafening. It is impossible to come up with a comparison; the closest I can come is a mixture of a busy highway, a freight train, thunder of some sort and a howling noise.

“What the heck is that?” I asked my son.

“I don’t know,” he replied, as we both started running again.

Then, as I looked towards the storm where the sky was black and ugly, I saw something that was both incredible and terrifying. There was a huge gust of wind, almost like a tornado, blowing straight towards us through the field of dead trees which were falling before it like dominos.

I looked quickly around for safety while the trees were snapping and falling as if they were toothpicks, but there was literally nowhere to run for cover. For at least 100 yards around us in all directions was a forest of dead trees which were now falling everywhere with deafening crashes.

“Run!” I screamed at Conor, who was 30-40 yards behind me.

With a look of terror on his face that will also remain imprinted on my memory forever, he began to run towards me as trees started crashing both in front of us and behind us. I was jogging slowly, waiting for him to catch up. I stopped dead on the trail as a tree crashed 10 yards in front of me and turned to look back again at Conor. Three trees were coming down right towards him. The first two fell 10-20 yards behind him, but the third was coming down on a trajectory where it would crash right on top of him. My first instinct was to yell at him to stop, because if he did so immediately the tree would fall in front of him. However, if he didn’t stop right away, if he hesitated at all, that tree would crush him. So I started screaming at him to run, run, RUN! I can only imagine the sound of panic that must have been in my voice, but it caused him to put on one final burst of speed as a huge tree smashed to the ground literally a couple of feet behind him with one of the branches grazing him on the side of the head. If he had been just a split second slower he would surely have been killed.

The freak gust of wind passed, but the winds were still strong, trees were swaying all around us and some were still crashing to the ground. We held hands and ran like * together for the relatively unburned section of the forest ahead of us. It was a hairy ten minutes as we sprinted through sections of burned trunks, slowing to catch our breaths in areas where there were more green trees but we made it.

I didn’t know what we had experienced at the time, but in one of those strange coincidences, some months after this happened Backpacker magazine had a short article (April 2008) about a weather phenomenon called “microbursts” which described what we had experienced exactly. In spite of this experience, we can’t wait for our next hiking and backpacking trip back to Yellowstone.

End

Me and the boys the week prior to this event, while on a backpack trip out along the Lamar River. They caught their first cutthroats on Cache Creek, just before it feeds into the Lamar.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Saving you $ so you don't have to buy...

Postby theokieangler » December 1st, 2009, 12:49 pm

I was browsing through the mags in the airport last week and saw your piece... great read! Had to point the story out and brag that "the author posts on a message board I read", my fiance and her fam were impressed haha. They read and enjoyed the story too. Can imagine the adrenaline rush, glad you both made it out of there.
theokieangler

Postby briansII » December 1st, 2009, 12:54 pm

A well told....very scary story. I found myself wanting to say, "run faster Connor!" :shock: I'll probably buy the mag if I happen to see it.

briansII
briansII

Postby Pete » December 1st, 2009, 3:40 pm

Whew!!!! I am exhausted running along with you. You are one great story teller Papa. Who needs a gym, I'll just re-read your tale.

Pete
Pete

Postby Rob909 » December 1st, 2009, 4:24 pm

I bought the magazine on Saturday not even remembering that your article was published in the January issue.

Then while I was reading it last night I hit that page and saw the article....I was like, "oh, that's right".

I remember your original post from that trip and reading that portion again gave me chills.....again!!!!

Anyway....congrats Jon :)

Rob
Rob909

Postby rayfound » December 1st, 2009, 4:40 pm

I read it in the Cincinnati airport this morning/last night...(Left home at midnight, had a 4 hour flight, and suddenly I'm supposed to recognize 7am as morning... nah thanks)

I didn't buy it, but I did enjoy the read. Scary crap Jon.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » December 1st, 2009, 11:31 pm

Well written Jon, I swear I remember reading this post earlier this year. But I must have been skimming through it lookin for fish stories and missed the crazy weather story. Man that must've been scary, I was picturing a movie scene as I read it.

Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby super dry fly » December 2nd, 2009, 10:07 am

Terrifying tale - glad you made it out of the woods safely.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby flybob » December 3rd, 2009, 7:15 am

Truly a "life and death" experience that will bond you and your son for the rest of your lives!

Congrats on the publishing, I remember you mentioning submitting the story while we were struggling to survive up at the Cottonwoods!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fflutterffly » December 4th, 2009, 8:17 pm

I just got done reading the article in the Readers Choice Awards Backpacker issue, saw the authors name and realized I knew who it was. YOU! Loved the tale, suspense and feeling of terror as I read the final two paragraphs! Photo's too! Loved congrats!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby anacrime » December 5th, 2009, 1:43 am

skimmed it, it wasn't bad ;) :lol:
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby castaway » December 5th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Im glad you got to keep the copyright to your story... It is yours!

Thats an amazing story, that I would have paid money for.

So Jon... When is a book coming out? Yours... I would gladly pay for.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Return to General Fly Fishing