REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Generic Frogs Fanny Floatant...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Generic Frogs Fanny Floatant...

Postby 1mocast » January 6th, 2010, 11:13 pm

midger wrote:The fumed silica is the same stuff I use. I ordered 3 gallons and should use it all by the mid 3000s--you don't use much floatant on nymphs and streamers--but with shipping being the same for 1 gallon or 3 gallons, I wanted to amortize my cost. Yeah, that's it. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was good...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Young Earl » March 26th, 2010, 12:00 pm

This is great information. I found an oval shaped plastic bottle with brush in the cap from US plastics.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=673
Young Earl

Postby Young Earl » March 26th, 2010, 12:02 pm

This is great information. I found an oval shaped plastic bottle with brush in the cap from US plastics.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=673
Young Earl

Postby rayfound » March 26th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Hahah, I found those same bottles last night and am planning on ordering a few to sell this stuff from my website. I should be able to make it worthwhile for well less than the $5-6 they charge for a tiny bottle of frogs fanny
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby tomsakai » March 26th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Hey ray, I'll buy from you!
tomsakai

Postby John Harper » March 26th, 2010, 1:51 pm

If anyone is planning on selling this, might want to check that it is harmless. One lawsuit can ruin your day!

John
John Harper

Postby rayfound » March 26th, 2010, 2:18 pm

John Harper wrote:If anyone is planning on selling this, might want to check that it is harmless. One lawsuit can ruin your day!

John

Just like any Silica products, Fumed silica is an irritant when inhaled.

Wikipedia wrote:Fumed silica is not listed as a carcinogen by OSHA, IARC, or NTP. Due to its fineness and thinness, fumed silica can easily become airborne, making it an inhalation risk, capable of causing irritation.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby fly addict » March 26th, 2010, 2:41 pm

rayfound wrote:
John Harper wrote:If anyone is planning on selling this, might want to check that it is harmless. One lawsuit can ruin your day!

John

Just like any Silica products, Fumed silica is an irritant when inhaled.

Wikipedia wrote:Fumed silica is not listed as a carcinogen by OSHA, IARC, or NTP. Due to its fineness and thinness, fumed silica can easily become airborne, making it an inhalation risk, capable of causing irritation.

Unless you’re a coke addict and snort the wrong stuff you should not have any problems with this product!!! :lol:
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » March 26th, 2010, 3:15 pm

The fumed silica sure dries your fingers and hands out when you fish dries all day. I actually prefer the shakers Like loon uses for Top Ride rather than the brushes like they use with Frog's fanny and loon dust. You waste less product and don't get as much on you or into the air. The brushes waste a lot especially when it is windy--like on Hot Creek.

This also works very well for keeping your yarn indicators floating high and dry. Keep one of those small 2 inch flat containers filled and just dip your yarn indicator into it, close the lid, shake, and you'll have a high floater. Doesn't help the thingabobbers, though. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RatFaceMcD » April 10th, 2010, 11:18 am

One thing I have learned is to only have the bottle about half full when you start. Even if I buy real Frog's Fanny I pour half of it into an old bottle. If you have the bottle completely full you will waste a lot just pulling the brush out. I use this stuff a lot and I've never run out of the half bottle even on a long day on the water, and I always have another half bottle on me just in case.
I have a retirement plan - I plan on going fishing.
RatFaceMcD

Postby Papasequoia » April 10th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Good tip, RFD. I always carry a backup bottle just in case. The problem I have is that I get clumps. Even though the stuff is water phobic, it must be from dipping the damp brush into the bottle repeatedly. Anybody got any good tips for that? I've been just dumping out the clumps when it gets low and filling with fresh powder.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 1mocast » April 10th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Jon,
I have had that same problem. What helps me is I first try to dry the fly out as much as possible on my shirt. Hopefully try to not crinkle the hackle. Then brush...

Or you can always try the dry shake type. The desiccant absorbs the water.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby COCarp » April 11th, 2010, 7:33 am

Thanks 1mo! I need a new bottle and it's that time of the year!
COCarp

Postby briansII » April 12th, 2010, 7:30 am

I never have a clumping issue. Maybe it's my fiber intake? :D

What Midger said. I don't like to use the brush method. I put my generic.....or name brand stuff in a old shake bottle. I use the left over desiccant crystals to agitate the mixture. No clumps. Not even when I pop in big, wet, slimy, bass, hairbugs.

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » April 12th, 2010, 7:51 am

briansII wrote:I never have a clumping issue. Maybe it's my fiber intake? :D

What Midger said. I don't like to use the brush method. I put my generic.....or name brand stuff in a old shake bottle. I use the left over desiccant crystals to agitate the mixture. No clumps. Not even when I pop in big, wet, slimy, bass, hairbugs.

briansII

I think the crystals are key for the shake to work... you need those more massive bits to beat up the fluffy stuff and help it get into all the nooks and crannies.

Still, if someone can tell me how to make floatant survive catching a fish, I'd like to hear it. When fishing is good, it seems like I spend all day applying floatant.

rayfound

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing