REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

First Catch of the YEAR! or, I can't believe I did it again!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

First Catch of the YEAR! or, I can't believe I did it again!

Postby flybob » January 10th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Yup, first catch of the Year.........ME! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
As my wife would say.......STOOOOOPIT! :oops: :oops:

So had a chance to get out and break in my new fishing license to see if it worked!
Got my fly stuck in a tree, as I was freeing my Spongebob from it's thorny bonds, the super sharp hook penetrated just between the nail and the thick skin along side the nail.....OOOOUUUUCHHHHH.....OHHH FUDGE...and I did not say FUDGE!
Well, I went to pull it out and of course.....the hook was not de-barbed....OUUUUUCHH again....the pain was unbearable!
No choice but to push it through......OUUUUUUCHHH!!! Do you know how thick and tough your skin is at the fingertip!
Every little movement of the hook was answered with excruciating pain.....Mark would not even come over to see what was going on! My ARRRRGGGGS and screams of agony made my throat raw, it is still soar two days later!
The dang thing finally popped through, and then I stumble for my needle noes pliers, all the while my tippet is tugging on the fly......AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!
What the *, I have gone through all this pain, might as well document the stupidity! So I can be reminded of how stupid I am when I do it again!
A little crimp....OUUUUCHHHHH! And we just back it out.....OOOOOOUCHHHHHHH!

Ok, rinse the blood off the fly and now I can fish!
Caught a few risers on the semi bloody Spongebob, but as the day waned, I switched to my old trusty wet and slayed a few more.

Interesting, would not of expected to see a swallows nest so far from San Juan Capistrano!

The water was cold, fast and deep, the brush was thick, the rocks slippery, took two bad falls, way too much excitement for one day.
After six hours of some true Black Diamond Fishing, it was time to leave.

My reward for all the days minor catastrophes, I managed to shoot about a dozen spectacular shots of the ebbing daylight from the truck as Mark drove.

Stopped at our favorite diner, some root beer/diet coke, couple of burgers, and sharing pictures and stories of the day......not bad for the first trip of the year.

Hope all you Addicts out there that have not yet, get your first fix of Twenty-Ten in soon!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: First Catch of the YEAR! or, I can't believe I did it again!

Postby Benny » January 10th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Everyone should learn a little lesson from Bobs' painful experience. More than likely we will all get a hook going through a finger or other body part. De-barb those hooks, it's not only better to pull the hook out of a fish, but it's also better to pull the hook out of yourself.
OUCH!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, great looking sky.
Benny

Postby midger » January 10th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Glad you were able to get out, but that fly looks like it hurt like............well, I'm sure you know how bad it hurt.

Folks, Bob just showed us all the real reason to debarb those hooks. Just imagine if you are using a size 4 or 6 streamer...... :o
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Hatch71 » January 10th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Bob..... Wow man ... Dude that looks like it did not feel good at all. I can't even kid or use humor here man... Amazing shots though.... Thanks for sharing with us... Chris
Hatch71

Postby tree catcher » January 10th, 2010, 11:17 pm

My Girlfriend had asked me why I crimp the barbs, Now I can show her why. Sad part is I have done that before, just once. But the fly had a crimped barb. Glad it was only your finger and not someplace else. Nice to see you were able to get the fly out and continue to catch some fish. That is a great sunset picture, sometimes after a day out on the water, sights like that just leave you in awe.

Sean
tree catcher

Postby Eric » January 10th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Dam that had to hurt. Thanks for the reminder to debard the hooks
Eric
Eric

Postby 1mocast » January 11th, 2010, 12:02 am

OUCH! I felt so bad for Bob! After one or two times that that has happened to me...Never again...at least not from my hook.

It was nice getting out with the air temps in the 60's. Here is a great little video of Bob have fun...

He thought he lost the fish but it was still on...

Time to Go for your First Fish of the new Decade!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » January 11th, 2010, 2:59 am

Bob

That looks like it hurt. Nice pics

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sasha » January 11th, 2010, 6:33 am

Ouch! I did that to my lip last year.

Great pics though.
Sasha

Postby WanderingBlues » January 11th, 2010, 6:35 am

Appropriate sacrifice to the trout gods. They are pleased with your offer of blood and will reward you with great things in 2010. Seriously, though, that pic was nasty! I was explaining to my son why I never wanted him casting w/o eye protection. He can figure out why now.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby RichardCullip » January 11th, 2010, 7:08 am

Ouch!
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Pete » January 11th, 2010, 7:16 am

Man, I just blew oatmeal out my nose. Your telling of the saga was too funny!!!. Gotta love barbless. Is blood considered in the same catagory as Trout Gravey?

Pete
Pete

Postby Artin » January 11th, 2010, 7:41 am

Great report... Good to know it's only your fingertip and not another tip :mrgreen:
I'm glad that you got to fish after an injury like that... like I always say "no pain no gain"

Thanks for sharing your painful experience!
That last picture of the sunset is awesome!!!!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby fly addict » January 11th, 2010, 7:44 am

Bob,
I can't understand why you did not pinch that barb down before you started fishing. :o I bet you will from now on! ;)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby darrin terry » January 11th, 2010, 8:18 am

OUCH! Bob, I thought you were already hooked on this fly fishing thing! Don't go trying to double the trouble. Glad you got it out, though I would not want to have been you right then. :shock:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing