REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing near Fresno...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fishing near Fresno...

Postby FlyinFish » January 18th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Ok, trying to word this very carefully since I think this is a sensitive watershed, though it is popular. I've got a wedding to go to in Fresno. It will be on a Saturday, and I will have Sunday and Monday free. Now, I will have the girlfriend along with me as well as friends who will be there as well.

What I'm thinking is, finding a nice little cabin or motel or something to stay in for a couple nights that is not in Fresno, but closer to the mountains. And MY main goal is to try and fish a certain water that's up that way. What I need advice on though, is where to stay. A place where there is some small town appeal or something so that the gf and my other friends can have a relaxing time. If this were the Owens area, I'd have a good idea of what to do. Any sort of similar areas near Fresno/the water I'm looking to fish???

PM me if the info needs to be kept on the down low. Thanks for the help guys!
FlyinFish

Re: Fishing near Fresno...

Postby fly addict » January 18th, 2010, 5:22 pm

I hope you are getting some info for fishing in Fresno. There is a river that is not to far and sounds like it might be just the ticket if you like trout :) .

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » January 18th, 2010, 5:28 pm

With the big storm rolling through all week, I'm not sure fishing this weekend will be a good activity.

.....did I just say that!?!? :shock:

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » January 18th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Psh, fished that place with rain dumping on us and BWOs flying upwards, nonsense you can fish it! :rockon:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby darrin terry » January 18th, 2010, 6:43 pm

rkfiske wrote:Psh, fished that place with rain dumping on us and BWOs flying upwards, nonsense you can fish it! :rockon:

Hmm, yes and no. Depends on how much rain and what it does to certain tribs. The storm that hit when Ryan was here rained all day on us and did not muddy the water up until a couple days later. The rain right now has been coming down for 24+ hours and has started the tribs flowing. I know this because the release info shows 87 CFS right now and they have to maintain 100 CFS downstream. This means that there is at least 13 CFS flowing thru the main trib. That's the one that muddies the water.

I can't help on the place to stay as I've always had my own place living in the area. Sorry.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby FlyinFish » January 19th, 2010, 1:12 am

Oops, sorry, forgot to mention it will be during the end of May...
FlyinFish

Postby darrin terry » January 19th, 2010, 8:07 am

Well, that does change things. Much tougher conditions as the river will PUMPING at that point. 2000-4000 CFS is likely. You can fish the edges though. :?
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Bernard » January 20th, 2010, 6:25 am

Why leave the cabin?
* Had to ask *
B
Bernard

Postby fflutterffly » January 20th, 2010, 7:28 am

Benard I'm with you. Trout or trout! Darrin what of the tribs during the month of May? Do they carry fish? I'm not familiar with the area. How about carping in some of the ponds?
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby darrin terry » January 20th, 2010, 8:19 am

The tribs are usually dry, Ariel. To my knowledge, they are only running during winter and mainly during and after storms.

As for carp, your best bet would be to check with Randy. I've seen them in a couple spots on the river, but have had no luck. When I do chase them I usually go to Millerton Lake as there are a couple coves where I've found them. Still have not hooked up though.
darrin terry

Postby FlyinFish » January 20th, 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks for the info & PMs guys. Looks like the water will be mostly unfishable. But, if I'm up there and have a free morning, I might as well wet a line. I'll hit up some of you locals if I do.

As for leaving the cabin... well, what can I say... I have priorities... hehe
FlyinFish

Postby briansII » January 20th, 2010, 10:17 am

fflutterffly wrote:Benard I'm with you. Trout or trout! Darrin what of the tribs during the month of May? Do they carry fish? I'm not familiar with the area. How about carping in some of the ponds?

Like Darrin said, the tribs below the dam typically dries up. SOME fish can be found in the very bottom of the tribs when they are running, but for the most part, no fishy. :( Carp can be found throughout the river, but I'm not Randy, and have had no luck with them. There are some good concentrations of carp down low in the river, but access/private property becomes an issue.

Years ago(25+?), I have caught trout further up the main trib. I've been told by a good buddy, he caught trout, smallmouth, and catfish way past where I used to fish. He has seen trout try and get past a waterfall to spawn. That was "the good ol' days", and I would be shocked to see anything in the isolated pools......maybe minnows and a odd sucker or two.

briansII
briansII

Postby RichardCullip » January 20th, 2010, 12:39 pm

End of May means stillwater time on the valley floor. Think bass, crappie, bluegill and carp in the lakes around Fresno. If you have time, you might also enjoy a drive up into the National Parks (Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia) and hit some of the smaller creeks up there. The big rivers (Kings, San Joaquin, Merced ...) will have pretty high flows in May.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing