REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Summer Vacation

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Summer Vacation

Postby WanderingBlues » February 3rd, 2010, 9:27 pm

If you could fish anywhere in the Western US, what would be the 'you gotta check this out' destination? I'm starting to think about summer vacation. Only caveat is that it has to be near something of cultural, natural, or historical value as it's a family trip. Straight up fishing only would go over like a fart in church with my usually understanding wife!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Summer Vacation

Postby midger » February 3rd, 2010, 9:31 pm

Yellowstone area. Lots of natural beauty and great opportunities to fish. Jackson Hole is another option on the south side of Yellowstone.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fly addict » February 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm

Curtis,
Dittos what Midger said about Yellowstone. You'll be happy and the family will too. Good fishing in the most unreal place on earth. If you haven't been there, start planing now.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Rob909 » February 3rd, 2010, 10:30 pm

I've been considering Yellowstone myself for a trip this summer, but I keep telling myself that is a long time on the road with 2 kids. I don't know how many "are we there yets?" I could endure. I would leave to see the Park, but I just have a feeling the kids would do about a day and then be ready for something else. So not sure on this.

More recently I've been considering a trip to the Boise, ID area, but again, keeping the kids occupied is the challenge. I need to do some more research on Boise and see what family things there are to do.

I'm in the same boat Curtis.....good luck!

Rob
Rob909

Postby duckdog » February 3rd, 2010, 11:07 pm

i'm with some of the other guy's, yellowstone is an amazing place. my wife karen loved it and there's tons to do and see. the river's are so beautyfull ,you can't not fish them,if you drive past place's like the firehole or the henry's fork[the h.fork is not in the park but it's not that far from it] and don't fish them your head will explode, which will * the wife and freakout the kid's so you better fish a bunch if you go.-- mike
duckdog

Postby Papasequoia » February 3rd, 2010, 11:22 pm

Yellowstone. My family loved it. We spent three weeks and still had plenty that we could have done.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » February 4th, 2010, 12:47 am

Yellowstone is awesome and its close to Jackson as well.

Or you could have some fun in the sun, say Lake Powell???? While you fly fish from the houseboat, you can always have the kids spin fish for anything (bass, carp, bluegill, stripers, catfish, walleye etc.) that'll bite or take a lure. You may be able to sneak in a day or two @ Lees Ferry. Gotta love the heat though, and believe me, that part of the country, though in the desert is a magnificient sight to see. Remember the kids and should be pre occuipied with water activities in the sparkling blue water, while the wife tans as you fish or swim ;) ;)

Grand Canyon and Vermillion Cliffs are nearby too, plus Lake Powell actually has water in it now.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby midger » February 4th, 2010, 6:31 am

Rob,
If you want to know what's in Boise, PM me with your questions. I grew up there and spend a good portion of my summer there now that both daughters live in Boise and go to BSU--well, one just graduated.

Lake Powell is also nice if your kids are old enough to be water savvy and you like the heat or can spring for an air conditioned houseboat. While my kids were growing up, we spent about a month to two months there every summer, and we still own a houseboat there. You have to love fishing for carp though. The stripers are harder to come by on a fly rod, but you'll occasionally hit a surface school. My daughters used to catch fish off the side of the boat using pieces of bread or pancakes and a net. No poles, just a large landing net. We'd let the channel cats swim around in their kiddy pool on deck for awhile, then let them all go again. You'll get many, many fish hanging out under your boat, and catching them is pretty easy. Lee's Ferry is about a 55 mile drive from WahWeap, and very doable as a day trip. It's a very nice excursion to rent a jet sled from Lee's Ferry Anglers and to run the canyon from the put in to the Dam, a distance of about 16 miles. One thing if you do this trip with the houseboat, it can be expensive, as nice houseboats are expensive to rent, fuel is costly, and the toys--ie ski boats, waverunners, etc eat a lot of gas. Plan on about 5-7K for a week. Nice if you can find another family to split it with. The jet sleds rent for $200 a day now, plus gas, which will usually run another 30-40 for a day.

Also don't let the temperature in the canyon make you think that wet wading would be a good idea. The water is a constant 48 degrees and it is easy to develop hypothermia even when the outside air temp is 105. I speak from experience after a July incident many years ago. Lake temps in July average around 70-75. August around 75-80. Air temps can be up to 110 degrees with August usually the hotter of the two.

No matter where you go, have fun.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Hatch71 » February 4th, 2010, 8:05 am

Man These are some great spots everyone is thinking of...... How far are you thinking about going? Alaska? Summer Steel!!!!! Hiking photography... The last frontier!!!! Oh yeah!!! You can go Salt and fresh and take in nature as a family and oh yeah tell your wifee they have amazing Spa's..... LOL
Hatch71

Postby RiverRat » February 4th, 2010, 8:36 am

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

We're doing a family vacation to Yellowstone this year. My kids are 9 and 11 and I kinda have to take my wife but there's worse things...

According to reports from friends who go there every year with the slow economy the crowds have been much smaller and the park more enjoyable. You just can't go wrong there..too much to do.

shane
RiverRat

Postby NorcalBob » February 4th, 2010, 9:18 am

Alaska!!!!!
Rent an RV and be blown away by the scenery, native culture, and for you, fishing!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
And for you.....
NorcalBob

Postby fly addict » February 4th, 2010, 9:26 am

NorcalBob wrote:Alaska!!!!!
Rent an RV and be blown away by the scenery, native culture, and for you, fishing!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
And for you.....

Alaska looks good!

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » February 4th, 2010, 1:32 pm

midger wrote:Also don't let the temperature in the canyon make you think that wet wading would be a good idea. The water is a constant 48 degrees and it is easy to develop hypothermia even when the outside air temp is 105.

Yeah, even the water below Hoover dam is COLD in 120 degree heat!!! If you want to cool off you pretty much just get up to your waist till you get numb then get out lol.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby WanderingBlues » February 4th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Alaska is intriquing. We have 3 $300 flight vouchers that could go to offsetting the travel costs. I'd love to checkout some steelhead fishing, or even some of the amazing trout fishing up there. And the halibut fishing. And the cod and rockfish........

Yellowstone is ultra high on the list. Always wanted to see YS and Grand Teton NP.

As to my wife---- she's definitely an outdoors girl, just not into fishing. She camps with us when we go to the Owens, but will spend time in Mammoth, or will be hiking.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Trootfisher » February 5th, 2010, 1:29 pm

another suggestion for yellowstone. good fishing can be had right off the road, so you don't have to spend a ton of time hiking in anywhere. Plenty of neat stuff for the family to see.

Rocky Mountain National Park is a cool place too. If you stay on the west side of the park you will see way less people.

My choice would though, would be Durango, Colorado. Beautiful spot, good fishing nearby, and close to some other neat places like Mesa Verde National Park, Ouray (hot springs!), etc. etc.
Trootfisher

Return to General Fly Fishing