REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bummer!! Need tip on taking stuck ferrules apart???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bummer!! Need tip on taking stuck ferrules apart???

Postby Ming Moua » February 22nd, 2010, 9:57 pm

A BUMMER :deadhorse: :deadhorse: While fishing the Kings River Practice Fishing & survey after finishing my 1st and 2nd beat, I place my rod on top of the car and figure that it would stay there like all the other times.....BUt I was wrong this time, the rod slide of with the reel and butt section first hitting the ground ....... So with the impact of the rod falling straight down like that, the two bottom ferrules jam in tight and a got stuck....Darrin gave the advice to put some cold ice on it to shrink the ferrules but it hasn't solve the problem yet....If any one have or encounter this situation before with ferrules getting stuck and found out a way to take them apart let me know.....Thanks.....Ming
http://www.flycastfirst.com/ WHERE FLY FISHING BEGINS
Ming Moua

Re: Bummer!! Need tip on taking stuck ferrules apart???

Postby fish-on-bro » February 22nd, 2010, 10:38 pm

OK, I have two methods I have used. One, standing on your two feet bend your knees a bit, then place the rod behind your two knees, then grip the rod having your hands and wrists on the outside of your knees, then grip the rod tight and move your knees outward. This should apply equal pressure and pop the rod and ferrule apart. Second way and this has worked great for me. I work at a grocery store so a walk-in freezer is accesable to me. Place it in a walk-in freezer for a couple of hours. This has worked every time for me.

Fish-on-bro, out....
fish-on-bro

Postby rkfiske » February 22nd, 2010, 10:39 pm

Man sorry to hear that Ming I hope someone here with experience can help you out. On your z-axis?
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby darrin terry » February 22nd, 2010, 11:23 pm

Ming, I've tried the knee thing too. It can work, but this is one I've not had fail…

I've used that a few times. Should have thought of it the other day.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Ming Moua » February 23rd, 2010, 12:01 am

Thanks guys for the tips....I will try them.....Ming
Ming Moua

Postby John Harper » February 23rd, 2010, 9:57 am

Maybe squirt some WD40 around the ferrules and let it penetrate??

John
John Harper

Postby Ming Moua » February 24th, 2010, 12:28 am

I finally got the two rod pieces apart.....I taped two Bic pens with masking tape on to both of the rod pieces for a better bigger grip. Then i use a mesh rubber pads to give a superb grip on both ends. With my brother on the other end and me on the opposite end, we had a tug of war.....When the pieces came apart, my brother went flying to the ground hard....I laughed so loud....LOL....

When the two sections came apart, I notice that it had so much air trap in....so i figure all that air tight trap inside was the whole deal why my rod was stuck.....

Thanks for all the tips guy...I'm sure that all the tips you guys gave me all work but i guess that tug of war work was call for this one...........Thanks, Ming
Ming Moua

Postby Papasequoia » February 24th, 2010, 12:35 am

When my dad was teaching me how to fish with a fly rod, 40+ years ago, he always taught me to rub the male piece of a section onto my nose, or rub my nose with my fingers and get some oil from my skin and rub it onto the male section before joining it to the other part. He also always joined the sections just a bit 'off' and then the final push together was accompanied with a little twist. That's still how I put my rods together today, and I usually think of my dad when I'm doing it. I have no idea if it helps or not, but then, I've never had two ferrules stuck together, so who knows?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby John Harper » February 24th, 2010, 8:36 am

Papasequoia,

Maybe my dad and yours were friends, because he taught me the exact same procedure, even the slight twist. This was the back in the days when we had metal ferrules of course. Cork grease for instruments works too.

John Harper
John Harper

Postby beachbum » February 24th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Glad you were able to seperate them. Using two guys, and alternating hands, so each guy holds both sides really works well.

I clean the male side, and rub with wax. It's worked for me.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Sasha » February 24th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Well I am glad you were able to get them seperated. I learn something new all the time. I will have to use the methods described in this thread if I ever get my rod stuck.
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » February 24th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Glad they are two now, Ming. Carefull using the tug-o-war bit though. Great and efficient way to snap a rod.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Return to General Fly Fishing