REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

East side invite

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

East side invite

Postby castaway » September 17th, 2008, 9:26 pm

A good buddy and mine are tentativly planning our trip back to the east side and may be looking for someone to "assist" in splitting the cost for a guide (who could that be?) for a day on the East Walker - October should be prime time for the trophy's.

We would probably leave Bakersfield very early on a Friday - Fish one of those eastside hot spots that we all are aware of - then head up the hill and try and get a couple rooms at the Bridgeport flop house.. (cheap) or camp (camping becomes a problem for me when I head up that way because I like to fish - not set up camp (drive straight to the honey hole - fish till dark- I usually sleep in my car or stay at the flop house). Then fish the EW on a Saturday... drive home Sunday.

Thinking mid-october...

Bill

Here are the "little" brothers of what I am looking for - a few pics of earlier this year

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Re: East side invite

Postby castaway » September 17th, 2008, 9:42 pm

The reason I like to stay in Bridgeport is because of how close it is to my target.

And I like to fish the waters down lower on the first day (weekday) then head up to Bridgeport after dark. (with the hope that the flop house has a room or two) many backpackers use the flop house as a stop - so it can fill up. I have been pretty luck and never had a problem getting a room there.

Plus the Flop house is right next to a bar and breakfast place - you actually have to go into the bar to get a key for the rooms! :lol:

Plus the rooms are 32 bucks a night! Just the price I like to pay for a warm bed and a shower.

last June on the EW - this is what I found myself in....anyone see the caddis?

I was up there is early June and had a life changing event - Casting #18-20 drys to fish that were between 16-20+ inches.... was only able to land 2 in the 16 inch range - but played peak a boo with a dry on a number of fish that were over 20...

and then,
last time I was up there I was absolutely skunked.... (on both the Hot spot and the EW)
and am tortured by visions of huge fish watching every fly in my box drift right by them... and watching fish dart out from under the weeds, and into the feeding lanes eating something that I couldnt even see ( I didnt have a size 30 fly)...

Later I was broke off a few times using a hopper... Whic his really frustrating on that creek because you really have to be perfect in your presentation - and you only get 1 maybe 2 tries... and its game over.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Return to General Fly Fishing