REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

California's Heritage Trout

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

California's Heritage Trout

Postby Benny » September 19th, 2008, 10:49 am

California's Heritage Trout are some of the most sought after fish. If your not familar with these trout here is a list of all the Heritage Trout.

CALIFORNIA'S HERITAGE TROUT

Paiute Cutthroat Trout- is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, due in large part to habitat loss and non-native trout species like rainbows and brown trout

Golden Trout- is a State Species of Special Concern due to habitat loss and hybridization

McCloud River Redband- is native only to the McCloud River and tributaries above Middle Falls near Mt. Shasta

Eagle Lake Rainbow- presently listed as federally threatened

Lahontan Cutthroat- is a federally listed threatened species due primarily to overgrazing

Goose Lake Rainbow- the population is considered to be stable

Warner Lake Redband- is a State Species of Special Concern

Coastal Cutthroat- is stable, but is listed as a State Species of Special Concern

Little Kern River Golden- was listed as threatened, but is now de-listed because of long and expensive restoration efforts

Kern River Rainbow- current population is relatively stable and is not federally listed

Coastal Rainbow/Steelhead-threatened and endangered, resident form is commonly called rainbow trout while the anadromous form is called steelhead which is the species of special concern

The DFG has a Heritage Trout Challenge for those who are intrested in catching these very unique fish that are native to the State of California.
LINK
Benny

Re: California's Heritage Trout

Postby DubL HauL » September 19th, 2008, 11:10 am

awesome list have not heard of some of those species maybe someday we all will have the opportunity to make the achievement! I hope I do...

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby anacrime » September 19th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Coastal Rainbow?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Sasha » September 19th, 2008, 3:48 pm

That looks like fun.....Too bad I moved.
Sasha

Postby Benny » September 19th, 2008, 3:58 pm

anacrime wrote:Coastal Rainbow?

Thanks Shane, I added the Coastal Rainbow/Steelhead on. I had to do a double take on that one. I could not really find any information just now. Very little on the DFG site on the this rainbow, but I will keep searching and update as I go.
Benny

Postby anacrime » September 19th, 2008, 4:13 pm

i want to finish this challenge so bad. maybe a bunch of us could do it next season?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » September 19th, 2008, 4:16 pm

anacrime wrote:i want to finish this challenge so bad. maybe a bunch of us could do it next season?

That would be a really nice road trip in the fall.
Benny

Postby RSetina » September 19th, 2008, 4:31 pm

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Reco ... _Trout.asp

This is the link to the fish the qualify for the challenge and I don't see the Eagle Lake Rainbow on the list. All the others are there with the exception of the one. Are you sure it qualifies for the HTC? Thanks for the info though Benny. I really would like to complete the challenge soon, before my old bones say forget it. :D
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » September 19th, 2008, 4:52 pm

It's under the Coastal Rainbow on my screen on the DFG site, just no link to any information ;)

Well with your old bones and my crippled legs we need to plan a trip before we can't walk any longer. I think this year is out of the question for me though :lol: Perhaps next Fall would be nice depending on the snow fall this season. A two week road trip would be great going through Northern Cal and coming down through the Eastern Sierra. Closing off the HTC with a beautiful Golden Trout ;)
Benny

Postby RSetina » September 19th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Sounds like a great trip Benny. I hope we can make it happen. We'll have to talk after Christmas and get a couple of weeks vacation at the same time. How are you feeling? Hope they aren't pushing you to hard.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » September 19th, 2008, 6:35 pm

I feel alright, much less pain. The company Dr took me off work and sent a requets for an MRI so it's just a matter of waiting now. Hope this will go quickly and I could get back to fly fishing or is that working :lol: I'm starting to wonder if I'll be back by February. If insurance company drags there feet I'll be lucky if I'm back by then.
Benny

Postby 1mocast » September 22nd, 2008, 4:31 pm

Benny wrote:[color=#000080]It's under the Coastal Rainbow on my screen on the DFG site, just no link to any information ;)
Isn't the Coastal Rainbow the standard vanilla trout we all catch? This includes the steelies... Here is the description from DFG site.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Resources/Wi ... owDesc.asp
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby anacrime » September 22nd, 2008, 4:41 pm

1mocast wrote:
Benny wrote:[color=#000080]It's under the Coastal Rainbow on my screen on the DFG site, just no link to any information ;)
Isn't the Coastal Rainbow the standard vanilla trout we all catch? This includes the steelies... Here is the description from DFG site.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Resources/Wi ... owDesc.asp

someone told me that it had to be from water that was historically connected to the ocean and within a certain distance of the coastline. for instance, wild rainbows from the san gabriel's count but wild rainbows from the owens do not.
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby rayfound » September 23rd, 2008, 8:07 am

anacrime wrote:someone told me that it had to be from water that was historically connected to the ocean and within a certain distance of the coastline. for instance, wild rainbows from the san gabriel's count but wild rainbows from the owens do not.

I think you're right because the Owens isn't part of the historic range of rainbows, whereas the San Gabes and San Berns supposedly held rainbows (Steelhead) before people got involved.

Also, the coastal rainbow is the standard Vanilla trout we all catch - that's the variety that has been most commonly adapted into hatchery programs.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby darrin terry » September 23rd, 2008, 8:52 am

Shane, I am not sure if this will apply, but over the years there have been distinct varieties of trout, rainbows included, which have been reexamined and found to be the same as other varieties. As an example, the Kamloops rainbows which are planted as trophy fish here on the Kings.

At one time they were thought to be a genetically isolated and distinct variety. As it turns out, if you raise standard run of the mill rainbows in an environment similar to the Kamloops native waters they will develop the same traits. If I remember correctly, the differences in the fish were total number of rows of scales and rays in the caudal fin (tail). The river where they live has colder water on average with a large food supply making for very large fish with incredible color. That colder water has an effect on the physical characteristics of the fish.

Knowing that steelhead are rainbow are steelhead, the only difference being the presence of an anadromous gene which givees the fish a tendency to seek the ocean, I wonder if the coastal rainbow is simply the anadronous rainbow (steelhead).

Or maybe I missed something reading through all this and that's what has been said. Curious anyway.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing