REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

Postby Benny » September 20th, 2008, 7:26 pm

What are the pros & cons of having a Pontoon vs. Float tube?

Pontoons:

PROS

Comfort (if you have a decent seat)
Warmth (out of the water)
Speed (using oars or kicking)
Rivers or Lakes (if you have the right model)
Less leg cramps (since you don't rely on kicking the whole time)
Possible standing platform (on some models)
Storage (more food & beer)

CONS
More out of the water (so more wind issues possible)
Not as portable (take longer to set up and take down if you only have trunk space for hauling) Storage space at home
Price

FLOAT TUBES:

PROS

Smaller
Very light (portable\packable easy storage)
Quick set up \ take down
Price

CONS
Limited to Lakes (can't go on rivers)
Cold (you sit in the water all day)
Not many options (accessories)
Slow (don't cover as much water)
Cramps (from kicking all day)

If any of you guys can think of more pros & cons for either Pontoons or Float tubes feel free to chime in. I hope this might help some of you guys out who might be intrested in the purchase of either of the two.

Benny

Re: PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

Postby RSetina » September 20th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I think you pretty much covered the basics. One thing I might add is that with a pontoon you can virtually fish in any kind of weather, ie, snow and colder water. With a tube it would be very uncomfortable. I remember tubing North Lake in Bishop a few years ago and the one who stayed the warmest was Sherry who was able to kick her feet up sideways on the tube and keep her legs out of the water. I guess you'd call it lounge chair fishing. I only stayed out 2.5 hours. And cold doesn't usually bother me.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » September 20th, 2008, 7:56 pm

I know the feeling. Some times you just need to stay out of the water and a Pontoon seems like it might be the ticket. I could picture Sherry with her legs and fins sticking out of the water :lol:
I have to consider my knee injury now, so I've been looking at the Potoons. The price is kind of steep on most good models, but I guess it's like buying other gear you could go cheap and get buy with some issues like leaky bladders or you just do it right the first time out and spend the extra buck and get the good quality boat. It's time to start saving some cash for my future pontoon. I know Mike has been looking for a decent pontoon too.
Benny

Postby Gary C. » September 20th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Benny,
I have never used a toon so I really couldn't say much about there differences. It seems that there are pontoon guys and there are float tube guys. The only real input I might add is that when I think about all of the posts I've read over the last few years it seems like there have been a lot more guys going from toon to tube than the other way around.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby mk4 » September 21st, 2008, 2:11 am

Toon

(+)

You can * out of them easier

(-)

More chit to spend money on

Tube

(+)

Faster than a toon when racing back to camp in the wind

(-)

Hard, but not impossible to * out of. Only the beginning and end is messy

You should have both, unless you're like a cripple or something.
mk4

Postby briansII » September 21st, 2008, 7:03 am

mk4 wrote:Toon

(+)

You can * out of them easier

(-)

More chit to spend money on

Tube

(+)

Faster than a toon when racing back to camp in the wind

(-)

Hard, but not impossible to * out of. Only the beginning and end is messy

You should have both, unless you're like a cripple or something.

:D :D :D Very true.

I'm out the door to toon a local lake. I'll add some thoughts later.

briansII
briansII

Postby Flyjunkie » September 21st, 2008, 8:10 am

You can use Pontoons in the Ocean safer then a Float tube...

You can be at the mercy of a Fast Current, with a Pontoon Boat you aren't relying on your legs to get out of that current... You behave more like a Kayak in a Pontoon...

I know folks who use Float tubes in the Ocean, but it's mostly in Protected areas of Harbours & Bays.. where, as long as there isn't a Strong current, you should be fine.. (Bummer is we often look for Currents as they basically funnel Food to the Gamefish we seek... )

I even know a gent who's launched his Float tube off the beach in Santa Barbara.. which I'd Never, Ever recommend Doing... get caught in a Rip and you'd tire out very fast trying to get back to where you started.... since you are using your legs to propell yourself along...

I've used Pontoon Boats (I've borrowed them) in Channel islands Harbour and even when I've found a strong Current I never felt like I was about to get into trouble...
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Benny » September 21st, 2008, 6:11 pm

Gary C. wrote:Benny,
I have never used a toon so I really couldn't say much about there differences. It seems that there are pontoon guys and there are float tube guys. The only real input I might add is that when I think about all of the posts I've read over the last few years it seems like there have been a lot more guys going from toon to tube than the other way around.
Gary C.

You might be correct in that more people go with the tubes instead. I on the other hand might have to go towards the pontoon due to knee surgery. It's more than likely that I'm going to have to row vs kicking with my legs. I like the tubes for the fact that you can take them to almost all lakes by just carring it over my shoulder. I'll still have my Fish Cat and I don't think I'm going to be getting rid of it any time soon, unless I can't kick any more for long periods of time :?
Benny

Postby RSetina » September 21st, 2008, 6:51 pm

Your knee will never be the same Benny. It will probably bother you for the rest of your life. I know, I have 2 bad knees. After having 3 surgeries, I don't think I'll have another one unless it get so bad that it keeps me from doing the things I love. After a year or so it's back to the same pains. I'd go ahead and fix it the first time, but after that it doesn't get better.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby anacrime » September 21st, 2008, 8:04 pm

Flyjunkie wrote: I even know a gent who's launched his Float tube off the beach in Santa Barbara.. which I'd Never, Ever recommend Doing... get caught in a Rip and you'd tire out very fast trying to get back to where you started.... since you are using your legs to propell yourself along...
it's not that bad dude. just be aware of your surroundings and be in competent shape. good thing about a tube is you can kick and fish at the same time allowing you to stay in one spot even when there's current. i really wouldn't feel comfortable launching a toon in head high+ surf either. tubes are just so easy!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » September 21st, 2008, 8:21 pm

anacrime wrote: i really wouldn't feel comfortable launching a toon in head high+ surf either. tubes are just so easy!

Dude you launch in the surf?

I had a hard enough time launching in a kayak through the surf, let alone a float tube Image
Benny

Postby anacrime » September 21st, 2008, 9:04 pm

Benny wrote:
anacrime wrote: i really wouldn't feel comfortable launching a toon in head high+ surf either. tubes are just so easy!

Dude you launch in the surf?

I had a hard enough time launching in a kayak through the surf, let alone a float tube Image

heck yah dude! it's way easier than launching a kayak in high surf. high surf = current = fish!

we did a late night session last week. lots of 3lb+ fish
(yah i know i look like a dork)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » September 21st, 2008, 10:36 pm

Aside from looking like a big dorkImage

Dude, are you in shorts at night in the cold ocean water. Perhaps you've heard of that thing called HYPOTHERMIA! Your nuts Shane, wear your waders or a wet suit.
Benny

Postby Flyjunkie » September 22nd, 2008, 6:49 am

I wouldn't launch a Pontoon in the surf either (thought there are a number of Beaches with fairly mellow shore breaks that I'd seriously consider launching at)... I'd never do a Float tube, it's too risky.. I recall Nick Curcione talking about launching a Float Tube in the surf, so he could work some shoreline near the South Bay..He stated after afew times He went with a Canoe or Kayak as He had better control on where he was positioned.
Sure it's a bit of a Pain launching the kayak, but you'd be safer once beyond the shore breaks.. Too risky in a Tube if you get caught in a Rip...

I agree with Benny, you should wear a wetsuit Shane.... Nice Calico thought... 8-)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Benny » September 22nd, 2008, 10:29 am

So far I have not been convinced not to get a potoon. I think the pros outweigh the cons thus far. The price sure does make me think about it though. Any other pros & cons about the toons or tubes.

Thanks
Benny

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing