REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Slap Yourself Moments or The Basics Revisited

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Slap Yourself Moments or The Basics Revisited

Postby Bernard » June 3rd, 2010, 3:24 pm

I'd love to hear of anyone's recent on-the-water moments during which they revisited something that was all too basic but almost forgotten. My most recent one was when some agressive bows grew wary of my olive bugger concoction and the second I went to a different color, showed significantly renewed interest. In other words, switch colors now and then. This was a slap for me because I only buy somewhat into color issues. Sure it may depend whether or not we're talking the silhouette of a dry versus the subsurface undulations of maribou or bunny. Anyway, this one moment reminded me to not grow lazy with color. Bass anglers are serious advocates of this. FYI - My primary mantra is "check your knots".
Thoughts?
B
Bernard

Re: Slap Yourself Moments or The Basics Revisited

Postby RichardCullip » June 3rd, 2010, 3:51 pm

On a few trips each year, I get reminded of the basic fact that if you don't bring it with you, you can't use it. Over the years, I've got a long list of stuff that I left back home in the garage including, but not limited to, the fly rod I wanted to use, the fly box I wish I had, the waders that would have come in handy, the wading staff that would have come in really handy and the float tube I was planning on using. No matter how carefully I pack the night before a trip, I find out a couple of times each year that I've forgotten something critical.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Danny McB » June 3rd, 2010, 4:01 pm

Bernard wrote: Anyway, this one moment reminded me to not grow lazy with color. Bass anglers are serious advocates of this..
Thoughts?
B

This one slapped me right in the face this last Sunday when I went out to a few private farms here locally where the bass and gills usually hit anything. Well all of my old standby colors that have been great in the past didn't work. My buddy who I just convinced to throw poppers and put away the gear was killing them on a bumble bee popper (black/yellow stripes) the only thing close was a popper I made that was yellow with black dots on it. My luck changed instantly but I still never had the success he did. We even cast out together and put the flies sometimes only 6 inches apart. Mine would sit and his would get slammed. The only advantage I did get was on the Bass farther out since I was tossing an 8wt and he a 5wt, I still wont show him the double haul because thats the only advantage I have on him.
Danny McB

Postby flyster » June 3rd, 2010, 5:26 pm

For me it was renewing my love with my first bamboo rod. The rod is not one of those fancy high quality named boo sticks but a workmans South bend 1939 159 9' wet fly. This rod acquires allot of attention due to the fact that it is a very slow rod. With this rod I use a Hardy reel and 4wt. DT silk line that makes it a dream to fish with. I have lost count of how many rods I own but I think it's between 30 or 40. With that said a few of my favorite's get pushed back to the end of the line. I think I just need more time to fish with my toys or maybe more arms. Here are a few pics of the last outing using this rod.
ImageImageImageImage
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby WanderingBlues » June 3rd, 2010, 5:54 pm

If you have something in a dry bag, return it to the dry bag when not in use. I ruined a camera with that 'slap yourself' dumb a@@ move.....
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flyfishnevada » June 3rd, 2010, 9:13 pm

I discovered the importance of adding extra weight when nymphing about 4 or 5 years ago. I always thought that bead heads were enough, despite everything I read. I caught my fair share, but one day I found some lead ribbon on the bank and figured I'd give it a shot. Had one of the best days ever fishing nymphs and I was convinced. Almost always use additional weight now and my catch rate has probably doubled. If I was the type to have regrets, I would regret all those years I struggled needlessly.
flyfishnevada

Postby fflutterffly » June 4th, 2010, 5:36 am

For that trip...make a list. I have them. Yes, THEM. One for two day trips. One for different weather seasons. One for... you get the idea. And when I forget to use this basic tool for fly fishing comfort I pay the price as Richard mentioned. My slap was when I didn't follow my list for a 10 day trip, left a few things at home and add $300.00 to my trip budget having to 'replenish' on the road.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby flybob » June 4th, 2010, 6:24 am

Just discovered this one...
Lately I have been hooking up and loosing a lot of fish in the fight, I have a few standard flies that I use and they get pretty beat up on the rocks, so I am constantly sharpening the hook. Another factor is that I am loosing a lot LESS flies to the trees or hang ups in the water. Back in the early days I would loose many flies in a day!
Result is, I have a lot of OLD flies that look really good, so I have not tossed them, however, they have been re-sharpened too many times. They are sharp but the tip is now too thick, not allowing for good penetration.
Lesson: Get rid of those old flies!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby lucfish » June 4th, 2010, 4:35 pm

This happened to me last week-end. I was on my home lake Monday early to get some bass on topwater. This time of year I always seem to manage a few but never double digit amounts before the sun pops out, and that's OK. I always use the same popper, have for years and I didn't think (from previous experience) it made too much of a difference which color or style of popper. I had always used a Chartruse/black and it worked good enough. This time of year the bass in the early morning would push the shad right up against the bank to where the shad beach themselves. I have learned (at least I thought I knew) that the bass will not hit poppers when they are pushing the shad like this and I just ignored them. This morning however when they started pushing the shad I decided to give them a try. Of course they didn't hit the chartruse popper but instead of moving on I looked in my box and saw a white slider type of bass bug that I've had for I don't know how many years and was sure had never caught anything. I thought what the heck, put it on and it was like they were starving and couldn't help themseves but take it down deep. To make a long story short before the sun was on the water I managed around twenty or so in a 100 foot stretch of water!!! Afterward all I could think of is "why didn't I do this before, I've fished this lake for 10 years and only God knows how many times I could have hooked infinetly more fish if I just would have experimented a little bit more. Now I need to find more of those sliders!!! Kind of excited about fishing this week-end.
lucfish

Postby beachbum » June 4th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Bob, you can send me all your "old" flies. Thank you! :lol:

flybob wrote:Just discovered this one...
Lately I have been hooking up and loosing a lot of fish in the fight, I have a few standard flies that I use and they get pretty beat up on the rocks, so I am constantly sharpening the hook. Another factor is that I am loosing a lot LESS flies to the trees or hang ups in the water. Back in the early days I would loose many flies in a day!
Result is, I have a lot of OLD flies that look really good, so I have not tossed them, however, they have been re-sharpened too many times. They are sharp but the tip is now too thick, not allowing for good penetration.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby 209er » June 4th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Danny,
I'm really impressed you can place your fly next to your buddy's! :bananadance: That's hard to do, just like placing your fly right down the lane and into that toad's mouth. :lol: When the butts(the ones with fins) hit Port San Luis, let's thrash 'em. 209er
209er

Postby 209er » June 4th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Danny,
I'm really impressed you can place your fly next to your buddy's! :bananadance: That's hard to do, just like placing your fly right down the lane and into that toad's mouth. :lol: When the butts(the ones with fins) hit Port San Luis, let's thrash 'em. 209er
209er

Postby flybob » June 5th, 2010, 9:52 am

beachbum wrote:Bob, you can send me all your "old" flies. Thank you! :lol:

flybob wrote:Just discovered this one...

Bill sent you a PM.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Bernard » June 7th, 2010, 11:09 am

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for chiming in. Last few days had me way off the grid at a very much nocturnal video shoot at, of all places, the LA River. It is CREEPY down there at 3 am! There are some great insights here. Many resonate with recent headaches I have had and others that I may avert. Thanks! Ok I need some sleeeeep...
B
Bernard

Postby RichardCullip » June 7th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Bernard wrote:Hey Everyone,
Thanks for chiming in. Last few days had me way off the grid at a very much nocturnal video shoot at, of all places, the LA River. It is CREEPY down there at 3 am! There are some great insights here. Many resonate with recent headaches I have had and others that I may avert. Thanks! Ok I need some sleeeeep...
B

Heck, the LA River was creepy at 8AM on a Sunday morning the last time I fished it. I can't imagine it during the middle of the night.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing