REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Newegg Shell Shocker: $69 Waterproof Digital

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Newegg Shell Shocker: $69 Waterproof Digital

Postby rayfound » June 23rd, 2010, 9:44 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830122222

General
Brand FUJIFILM
Series FINEPIX Z Series
Model FinePix Z33WP
Color Green
Dimensions (WxHxD) 92.0 (W) x 59.6 (H) x 20.6 (D) mm / 3.6" (W) x 2.3" (H) x 0.8" (D) (excluding accessories and attachments)
Weight Approx. 110g / 3.9 oz. (excluding accessories, battery and memory card)
Type Ultra-Compact
Image Sensor
Image Sensor 1/2.3" CCD
Effective Pixels 10.0 MP
Resolution 3648 x 2736

I don't know jack about this camera. But $69 is a pretty dang small amount to pay. Free Shipping.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: Newegg Shell Shocker: $69 Waterproof Digital

Postby darrin terry » June 23rd, 2010, 7:59 pm

Yeah, looks like the discount is done. It said $69 earlier today, but $89 now. Still, at that price, it should be a decent WP camera for fishing. At $89 bucks, it seems cheap enough to not worry about it being just a fishing camera.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby theokieangler » June 23rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

If you're looking for a deal on a WP camera, I've got your site ;) Started working for a buddy of mine on a start-up back in Oct, it's getting big pretty quick. It's not for everyone, but it's an auction model that's really picking up steam...

Here's some we're running tomorrow:

http://www.quibids.com/auction.php?id=929961201 (Pentax w80)

http://www.quibids.com/auction.php?id=877876124 (Tough 8010)

we're running these regularly (and the w90, doesn't look like it's on the schedule for tomorrow though), so if you miss it, you'll definitely see it again. In fact, I'd definitely suggest watching a couple auctions end before jumping in so you get the hang of it.

-Ward
theokieangler

Postby fflutterffly » June 25th, 2010, 5:22 am

Site looks great Theokieangler. I've tried this type of bidding before and personally I hadn't the patience to sit for the time it took to keep popping a bid. This type of auctioning is actually more realistic then, let us say, Ebay, which is a closed bidding system with finite time. Should be a great success the way the the bidding looks, fast and furious! Why not incorporate both types of bidding.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby rayfound » June 25th, 2010, 6:59 am

No, My apologies Okie, quibids is [no polite way to say it].

While I can see SOME legitimacy in having the auction extend as long as the price keeps going up (like on a real auction), the part where they CHARGE the bidder is asinine, the whole point of Quibids model is to artificially keep the price low, to encourage rampant bidding, making money for Quibids on every bid increment.

So while buying a digital camera for $40 that normally sells for $300 seems awesome! until you look at the math.

at $.02 bid increments, $40 selling price takes 2000 Total bids.

2,000 bids x $0.60 per bid = $1,200+$40 final value = $1,240 total price paid to Quibids for the item. Heck, even at a $20 selling price for the camera, quibids sells a $300 camera for $620(total). Even at just a $10 (Wow, what a deal!) final price, quibids nets in a total of $310... for a $300 retail camera.

The only difference is that the cost is distributed over many bidders. So yes, the winner pays $40 + ($0.60 x # of bids he made to win.... likely many)).... but everyone who didn't win paid Quibids $0.60 * the number of bids they made.

Ultimately, yes its a great idea... for quibids, and a horrible idea for everyone else.

Will there be the odd steal-of-a-deal? Surely. Problem is, you have to pay $0.60 for NOTHING, repeatedly, and hopefully earn the opportunity to buy something at a discounted rate.

wildfly wrote:As for the bidding model, I think I'll simply say that it is not for me.

Not for anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby theokieangler » June 25th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Ray,

Totally understand where you are coming from... However, this auction model is not as terrible as you make it sound. Your equation leaves out a important piece... the "buy it now." Any auction participant can apply the bids he/she placed in the auction towards the value price and pay the difference for the item. One auction may result in 5 or more fulfillment items (one from the winner, and the rest from buy it now's). All the bids used in buy it now would be removed from the equation. Now, that is not to say some auctions are not very profitable... some definitely are, but we take a loss (sometimes crazy losses) on a significant number of auctions.

Like I said earlier, the model is not for everyone... In fact, if I wasn't working for QuiBids I would only use it in certain circumstances... namely, on items that I knew I was going to purchase at full price. If I knew I was going to buy a camera for my dad for Christmas, I'd try to get a deal at QuiBids. If I didn't win, I'd but it at retail (or just above retail in some cases). I wouldn't just throw out bids on products I wasn't willing to pay full price for. Sure some people do that, but that sort of thing wouldn't be for me. Some people use QuiBids because it's an entertaining way to shop, others come to try and pick up a deal on something they couldn't afford otherwise, and others just try to save some $ on stuff they know they would buy anyway.
theokieangler

Postby anacrime » July 9th, 2010, 10:01 am

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby rayfound » July 9th, 2010, 10:31 am

anacrime wrote:http://www.ctips.net/?t202id=585226&t202kw=282117

Shane, I am not sure if you're trying to defend quibids or the opposite. What you linked appears to be the ONLY article on ctips.net ... so apparently is a BS site made to look like "News" to promote quibids. Essentially its an infomercial, only a bit more misleading.

Julie, the "Reporter" appears to be a Stock image, used on a bunch of other bogus fake news pages(her name changes also):

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-8144656-tv-reporter-on-the-air.php

http://action2newsat5.com/
http://the-daily-journal.com/2/2nd.php

I really don't want OkieAngler to feel like i am bashing him personally, or anything like that (I'm not even clear on his association with the site), I just don't feel like its a good deal for consumers, and I feel like marketing something in a misleading way like this is a pretty unethical.

rayfound

Postby anacrime » July 9th, 2010, 11:01 am

Someone sent that link to me. I didn't read the article just noticed QuiBids
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby anacrime » July 9th, 2010, 11:03 am

That's funny that that is the only article, too. Ha
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby theokieangler » July 19th, 2010, 8:28 pm

No worries Ray, I don't take any personal offense. I really don't have anything to do with marketing, although I agree that the consumer tips digest is not a great way to run ads. My mother in-law actually sent me a link much like that one a couple of weeks ago. Embarrassing to have to explain that it wasn't a consumer report, but an ad. Wont claim to be too savvy with marketing, but I guess it's pretty tough to control affiliates. I do know, or am at least being told, we are trying to reign it in. Just stinks that the info is all legit, but it looks sketchy as a consumer report. I'm the director of fulfillment, so I just make sure we get products to customers as fast as we can ;) Set a record today, fulfilling just under 10k items in a day, was pretty psyched to be able to accomplish so much. Back in Nov we were just fulfilling ~600/day and feeling overwhelmed!
theokieangler

Postby beachbum » July 19th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Back to $79 again.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Return to General Fly Fishing