REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

new to the site

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

new to the site

Postby The Steady Foot » July 2nd, 2010, 12:24 pm

Hi all. My name is Mike and I'm also a member of that other board that everyone seems to be a part of. My handle there is different but that will soon change to The Steady Foot. I was referred here by a guy in 2008, but I'm not terribly into the forum thing so I held off on joining. Was recently re-referred here by Dubl Haul (Andy) who I've fished with a few times and who is a very cool guy so here I am.

Anyway, my story is probably very similar to others here. I've been fishing all my life, got heavily into fishing in 2006, picked up the fly rod in 2008, and I'm as addicted to fly fishing as I could be. I've put in some serious work into our local mountains since 2006, logging probably over 200 trail miles since then. I literally fished more days than I didn't in 2008, something like 186 days. 2009 was similar, but not quite as busy since my wife became preggo in October, but close to 180 days. This year has been good to me considering I got a pregnant wife at home and I've been on the water a good deal.

If I think of anything to add here I will. Check out my first post/report here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4079
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Re: new to the site

Postby fly addict » July 2nd, 2010, 12:36 pm

Mike
Welcome to the club. I thought I got in a lot of days with a 100 on the water a year. Most of mine are in the ES, only about 30 in the locals.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby The Steady Foot » July 2nd, 2010, 1:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I just thought I'd add that I also like backpacking missions. I've done several, mostly by my lonesome. I've toured the eastern sierra quite a bit, done the upper kern several times, a few local missions.

My family lives in Carson City NV so I've been up and down 395 many times since 1983.

Oh, and I'm 28 yo.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby The Steady Foot » July 2nd, 2010, 1:09 pm

The Steady Foot wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

I just thought I'd add that I also like backpacking missions. I've done several, mostly by my lonesome. I've toured the eastern sierra quite a bit, done the upper kern several times, a few local missions.

My family lives in Carson City NV so I've been up and down 395 many times since 1983 (when they moved there).

Oh, and I'm 28 yo.
The Steady Foot

Postby darrin terry » July 2nd, 2010, 1:10 pm

180-ish? Must be nice. I still feel pretty good about my 52 days last year. Wont come close to that this year what with the back going out and all. Still, it is what it is. Glad to hear you're getting out with Andy. He's a good guy and you'll not go wrong fishing with him.

Welcome to the board and keep us well fed with tales of tails and we wont likely canabalize you. ;) :D

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » July 2nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

Sup, man 8-)

Good to see another dude with over 100 days on the water last year 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby WanderingBlues » July 2nd, 2010, 1:18 pm

Those are some crazy days on the water. Looking forward to many posts from you. BTW,your 1st report was awesome.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby beachbum » July 2nd, 2010, 1:27 pm

Welcome to the board! That's a good first post!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby lucfish » July 2nd, 2010, 2:46 pm

Welcome, nice post. That's alot of days, good for you, do it while you can!!!
lucfish

Postby DubL HauL » July 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm

Howdy Mike

I forget who the chip person is but welcome.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby The Steady Foot » July 2nd, 2010, 6:23 pm

Thanks folks. Yup, this little baby will re-focus my attention for sure. I hope to post more reports though, so here's to that.
The Steady Foot

Return to General Fly Fishing