REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Pyramid Lake Nevada, Help please

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Pyramid Lake Nevada, Help please

Postby fish-on-bro » September 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Ok, been thinking of fishing Pyramid lake. I have been reading books on the lake and figure there is a learning curve with time spent on the water a plus. So this is why I figure a guide would be the way to go since I never fished this water. If anybody has had a great experience with a great guide, the info would be much appriciated. Also, what wieght rod and special lines are needed? I have seen video's and people are fishing on step ladders in some bitter cold, looks like an adventure.
Thanks,

Fish-on-bro, out...
fish-on-bro

Re: Pyramid Lake Nevada, Help please

Postby NorcalBob » September 10th, 2010, 8:09 am

Reno Fly Shop, talk to Rob Anderson. He'll fix your itch!
http://www.renoflyshop.com/guideservices.html
NorcalBob

Postby planettrout » September 10th, 2010, 8:40 am

That place becomes an addiction...

PT/TB :lol:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby fflutterffly » September 10th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Plant is right! The size and fight of those fish are addictive. We knew nothing about the place when we arrived and lucky for us were adopted by two big tat'ed fly fishing motorcycle guys. The let us use there fly rods but not the ladders. We caught a few and had a blast. We vowed never to go there again unless we had 7wts in our hands. What's fun was seeing all these guys on ladders. As soon as the fish started moving down the bank along this ledge the guys would begin moving the ladders. At one point we could see them swimming right near our legs. Fantastic fun. Oh and yes!!! Reno fly shop.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fish-on-bro » September 11th, 2010, 9:30 am

Thanks everybody, I will talk to Reno Fly shop.

Fish-on-bro, out....
fish-on-bro

Postby drabo2000 » September 12th, 2010, 12:45 am

Chuck,

Easy. Drive north, look for ladders, dress in plenty of layers, strip buggers on 3x tippet...
and take Piper...

Steve
drabo2000

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » September 12th, 2010, 1:31 am

drabo2000 wrote:Chuck,

Easy. Drive north, look for ladders, dress in plenty of layers, strip buggers on 3x tippet...
and take Piper...

Steve

That's what I've heard, and that it's almost like idiot fishing. My experience tells me that these trout are smart but all my readings say they're dumber that a door knob.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby fflutterffly » September 12th, 2010, 5:32 am

These trout are NOT small. Karen was being teased by a few of the fellows that hers was a baby at 20"! A BABY? I saw many pulled out that fought hard of good size. Dumb. Hold on. Imagine having to purchase an expensive rod, reel, line and a ladder just to catch a fish. Who's the dumb one here? You have to have the ladders in order to make casting to the 'ledge' easier. It's all great fun with a wonderful prize in store for all who join in. Rock you've got to try this. One other thing. The landscape is really barren, almost mystical as I remember and the small market/bar has some unbelievable photo's of 'small fish' caught.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » September 21st, 2010, 1:38 pm

fflutterffly wrote: Rock you've got to try this. One other thing. The landscape is really barren, almost mystical as I remember and the small market/bar has some unbelievable photo's of 'small fish' caught.

Been trying to make it happen the past 2 years, but pre-planned summer vacations and last minute plan changes by others has always made it difficult, oh and my lack of being able to plan out too far in advance. I still have my hopes up for early 2011.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Hatch71 » September 22nd, 2010, 6:09 am

I was so excited to see this post. I recently took over this market for my company and already have begun to plan a fishing trip around business... Can't wait... Cutthroats for some reason have always drawn my attention... Especially some freaky sized ones that are natural... :bananadance: Chris
Hatch71

Postby briansII » September 22nd, 2010, 8:57 am

Rockstar Fisherman wrote:
fflutterffly wrote: Rock you've got to try this. One other thing. The landscape is really barren, almost mystical as I remember and the small market/bar has some unbelievable photo's of 'small fish' caught.

Been trying to make it happen the past 2 years, but pre-planned summer vacations and last minute plan changes by others has always made it difficult, oh and my lack of being able to plan out too far in advance. I still have my hopes up for early 2011.

You and me both. I've been trying to make the trip happen for...........well, longer than I can remember. Maybe next year.......... :?

briansII
briansII

Postby Sasha » September 22nd, 2010, 9:01 am

I am really going to give a serious effort to go in April with some people. Hmmmm maybe I will just put in for the Vacation time now. From what my friends have told me it is F'N epic there. I guess I should ask Santa for a new 7wt for Christmas ;)

Besides unlike GTW, it is only a 7hr drive from here :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby Hatch71 » September 23rd, 2010, 7:21 am

Jon... That's some great info.. Thanks Chris
Hatch71

Postby duckdog » September 23rd, 2010, 8:24 am

Is there a reason that people use ladder's and not float tubes to fish those ledges?
Mike..
duckdog

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing