REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

new line issues

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

new line issues

Postby DubL HauL » October 8th, 2008, 11:52 am

Hi guys

I was hoping I could get some input with issues I am having with a new fly line I just installed. It's a 2 weight forward Orvis Superfine line. Before I had a less expensive line I got on ebay. I was able to cast really well with it. The new line seems like it is in slow motion, my fly is not extending out, floats down and not on target. Maybe it's not the new line at all but the braided leader I have come to like is the problem? Maybe the leader is not stiff enough like the new line and rather limp like the old fly line?

Maybe it's a getting used to thing?

Seems like the new line is thicker and stiffer than the previous less expensive line I was using. Should I consider going down to a 1 wt line? I'm thinking the line thickness could have something to do with the line speed I was used to.

Thanks in advance for constructive criticism or suggestions.

Andy
DubL HauL

Re: new line issues

Postby flybob » October 8th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Andy, what size and action is the Rod?

I have a TroutBum 7.5' 3wt, that I just lined up with the 3wt WF Superfine line.

The rod is the slowest action I own, I mean really SLOW!

When I put the new line on, it got even slower! but boy is it delicate and accurate!
It's not really made for long casts, they even mention that in the catalog.
I use mine on the little brushy creeks, and half the time I am bow and arrow casting.

I do a lot of practicing on the lawn with a #16EHC with the bend cut off.
takes a lot of getting used to.

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby DubL HauL » October 8th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback flybob

The rod is a 6'6" rated for 2wt

short casts are more difficult with new line

Longer casts are better but my fly drops really really strange and it seems like the line is moving slower

I can cast the new line further it seems but my accuracy has gone way down. This is why I am wondering if could also be a leader issue.

Thanks

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby flybob » October 8th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Check your PM's
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby DubL HauL » October 8th, 2008, 2:52 pm

I just put Gen 3 WF2 on my girlfriends BBS I. We have the same 6'6" graphite rod so I will try it out and compare it with the Superfine WF2. The Superfine taper is 32ft and Gen 3 taper 44ft. I figured the the shorter bulge in the Superfine would load better on shorter casts? Maybe I should consider going to a 1wt?

Thanks

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby darrin terry » October 8th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Andy, have you tried a DT line on that 2 wt? Or just the WF lines?
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » October 8th, 2008, 3:47 pm

in my extremely limited experience i feel that dt lines help lay the fly out more straight and more delicately. maybe you'd prefer dt

also, short casts are supposed to be easier w/ wf since there is more weight at the casting end of the rod. i know a lot of guys line their light rods a size higher to make short casts easier
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby briansII » October 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm

From reading the description of the line, and your comments about head length, it sounds like it should turnover really well. Shorter, heavier/fat head should load quickly, and have a positive turnover....like a bass taper would. I just wonder if the braided leader, in combination with the new line, is turning over too quickly. Does your fly/leader have any "kickback" at the end of the cast. That will cause the leader to fold/wrinkle back up, and the fly to kick to one side or the other. It may look like it's not turning over, and have no accuracy. Just a thought.......

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » October 8th, 2008, 6:33 pm

How long is your leader and tippet? I have had a problem when my leader with tippet is too long...It all falls in a big coil...No turnover :( I then realize I wasn't following the 60/20/20 rule. I tried a shorter leader with a lighter tippet and it would cast great...

Are you fishing with a weighted fly? More weight, then shorten everthing...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby DubL HauL » October 8th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys

I've been leaning towards leader issues. I tend to fish 9' plus leaders I have been using an Orvis braided leader with a 3ft bimini tippet. I usually have another 2ft for the dropper.

The new line has a much larger diameter and much stiffer compared to the CHEAP line I had originally. This may count for some reduced line speed?

Fly and leader is dropping like ca-ca. Not sure if it is kicking back. I was also beginning to think I should try a shorter leader. May give that a try as well. I really have enjoyed the braided leader because it does not coil like the tapered mono ones and they seem to have drag free drift.

Darrin I had the same CHEAP DT on Nanette's rig but I just put an Orvis Gen 3 2WF on it so I will try it out for comparison to the Superfine 2WF.

Thanks guys appreciate your thought's, my casting has gone really sour with just upgrading the line so I thought.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby RichardCullip » October 9th, 2008, 8:36 am

Got to love opinions - everyone has them, even if some of them conflict with others. The effect of the leader (furled/braided vs tapered) should be easy to check out. Just replace that furled/braided leader with a nice 7.5 to 9 ft tapered mono leader and see if it changes the results of the cast.

The other thing that might be happening is that the two fly lines (old e-bay line and new Orvis Superfine) might be significantly different weights (mass) in the first 15 to 20 feet. If so, this could affect your casting stroke and the ability to develop a nice bend (load) in the rod. The rod needs a certain amount of line weight in the air to develop a nice load which then supplies the energy to unroll the line in the direction and distance you want it to go. Without that bend in the rod during your forward cast and the unbend at the end as you stop the rod, there won't be enough energy delivered to the fly line to complete a decent cast. With either a poor casting stroke or not enough line weight in the air, it's pretty darn hard to get a good cast. You are doomed from the start if you are cursed with both problems.

In contrast to the good Dr Creek, I love casting my light weight rods (both my 00wt and my 7.5ft 3wt). I find them easy to load and they unload nicely with a good crisp stop (accelerate to a stop) resulting in a nice tight loop that will deliver the fly on target out to about 40ft (assuming you have some room for the backcast). I actually find them easier and more enjoyable to cast than my heavier rods.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby fly addict » October 9th, 2008, 8:45 am

Andy, did you put the line on backwards. :o It will not cast at all if it is.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » October 9th, 2008, 10:06 am

fly addict wrote:Andy, did you put the line on backwards. :o It will not cast at all if it is.

:lol: :lol: As far off as that sounds, I thought the same thing. I've had two friends with that problem.

briansII
briansII

Postby DubL HauL » October 9th, 2008, 11:59 am

1mocast wrote:How long is your leader and tippet? I have had a problem when my leader with tippet is too long...It all falls in a big coil...No turnover :( I then realize I wasn't following the 60/20/20 rule. I tried a shorter leader with a lighter tippet and it would cast great...

Are you fishing with a weighted fly? More weight, then shorten everthing...

so what's the 60/20/20 rule?

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby DubL HauL » October 9th, 2008, 12:02 pm

briansII wrote:
fly addict wrote:Andy, did you put the line on backwards. :o It will not cast at all if it is.

:lol: :lol: As far off as that sounds, I thought the same thing. I've had two friends with that problem.

briansII

I wish but I had the pros do it at the shop and it had a leader loop so it can't be that... ????
DubL HauL

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing