REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New California Fly Fishing web site

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New California Fly Fishing web site

Postby vinci.greg@gmail.com » November 19th, 2010, 11:23 am

Announcing a new web site that covers all of California's fly fishing waters http://www.california-flyfishing.com
Includes all of the info including guides, fly shops, fly patterns, maps, lodging, weather etc.
vinci.greg@gmail.com

Re: New California Fly Fishing web site

Postby Benny » November 19th, 2010, 11:49 am

Benny

Postby vinci.greg@gmail.com » November 19th, 2010, 12:08 pm

It's not a spam, it's just an announcement.
vinci.greg@gmail.com

Postby rayfound » November 19th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Actually, the site is mostly spam... its almost entirely adspace with some info mixed in.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby planettrout » November 19th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Greg Vinci is a GOOD GUY...He is an excellent photographer, guide and first class fly tier...

The Gas and X-Ray Caddis are just two of his ties...He has the goods!!!

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby rayfound » November 19th, 2010, 3:09 pm

planettrout wrote:Greg Vinci is a GOOD GUY...He is an excellent photographer, guide and first class fly tier...

The Gas and X-Ray Caddis are just two of his ties...He has the goods!!!

PT/TB :rockon:

I don't think anyone is debating that... the issue is the guy is not a part of our community, and registered here with (apparently) the sole intention of plugging his site.

I don't think there is any problem with this from members of our community (such and yourself or I), but it meets most of the criteria for "Spam" when its a register-and-plug.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby briansII » November 19th, 2010, 3:11 pm

I first linked the site, when Bill Kiene was generous enough to post it on his forum. From my experience, Mr. Kiene is VERY generous in that regard. He supports guides, and even other fly shops. This is not typical, and I think being called out at other forums could be a problem....every forum and member has their own "spam" threshold.

Good luck to you, and your new site.

briansII
briansII

Postby planettrout » November 19th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Ray,

It is my hope that Greg becomes a part of this community. He is someone who has a wealth of knowledge to offer...

Best,

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby rayfound » November 19th, 2010, 3:24 pm

planettrout wrote:Ray,

It is my hope that Greg becomes a part of this community.

Best,

PT/TB

I completely agree.

rayfound

Postby Hatch71 » November 19th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Greg.....

I know Tim would not miss direct us on you... This is a very small forum and great group of guys. I would recommend as he has suggested. Introduce yourself.... Then show off some of your work ..... We all look forward to seeing great looking patterns and we are all Fish * addicts!!! So pictures are always welcome......

Chris
Hatch71

Postby fly addict » November 19th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Greg,

Welcome to the site. Nice website you have. I look forward to seeing some of your post and flies.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby beachbum » November 19th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Welcome, Greg! Hope you participate in the forum.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby fflutterffly » November 19th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see some of those flies in one of the swaps!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby midger » November 19th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I briefly looked through the site. Is it primarily for marketing or intended to be more like Charlie Craven's site, is it going to give recipes for patterns, or what? I found no recipes but did see lots of links to other flyshops I'm familiar with such as Lelands and the American River shop in Sacramento. I saw some pictures of flies, and they looked nice, but again, no recipes for the flies unless I just missed them.

Whatever. Welcome, and let us know a bit more about the site.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby vinci.greg@gmail.com » November 19th, 2010, 8:12 pm

You're right, the site has been created for two reasons, the first is to provide a central place where a fly fisherman/her can go to and
get all of the information about a particular fly fishing destination that they need before they go. I think I've covered all of the
bases for each destination that is on the site as of today. The second reason is of course to make a little money. The money won't
come if the site does not fulfill the needs of those who visit it. The vague comments suggesting that the site looks a little too commercial have been noted
and will be addressed once more of the ad space has been sold. I just think that fly fishermen will eventually find it much easier to
just go to one central location for the info that they need than surf around for it.

As for the fly pages, they are a work in progress and will change over time. Where a particular pattern is associated with a shop, I've linked the photo
back to the shop's web page. For example, Sloan's Mity Mite is linked back to American Fly Fishing because he guides out of that shop or Tim Fox's Pupah is linked
back the Fly Shop's web page where he is the manager. Where there is a photo of one of my patterns (that's not commercially tied) there will eventually be a page showing a recipe and tying instructions. I will do that for some of the more generic attractor patterns too. It will take time. If you guys know of a particular
pattern (must be available in fly shops) that is should be included in my fly recommendations don't hesitate to let me know about it.

Now I'm going to go eat my dinner and watch come pointless reality show.
vinci.greg@gmail.com

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing