REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fantasy Retirement Locale for Fly Addict

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fantasy Retirement Locale for Fly Addict

Postby beachbum » February 11th, 2011, 12:40 pm

flybob wrote:All your plans sound great!

The Wife and I have already decided, WE ARE CURRENTLY LIVING IN OUR RETIREMENT HOME! (it's paid for)
She is already retired, I have two more years at the most.

We can rent a place anywhere we choose for some duration while the weather and fishing are good, then return to HOME BASE to figure out where we are going to move to next!

And when we are stuck here for a while, I can always go fish our great locals with FlyAddict, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK ! :lol:

I went fishing with Dr. Creek and Midger once, in the middle of the week and it was great! Nobody else was there, and the fish had already recovered from the onslaught of the previous weekend!

Weekdays rule!!! For a decade I have been looking for somewhere that I might like better, and settled on Reno. Heading up the holiday weekend to do some exploring (fishing). :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby thtsarumr » February 11th, 2011, 12:56 pm

If I finish out my last ten years with the Marine Corps that will put me retired at age 38. I think the world will be my oyster. Thinking Colorado though.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby NorcalBob » February 11th, 2011, 1:21 pm

I've retired, and my wife is threatening retirement soon. So far, I've decided (without any input from my wife-so you all know how this story will end :o ) that summers in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula, and trying to decide where to go in winter. Maybe LA or FL???
NorcalBob

Postby Eric » February 11th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I would like to retire full time to Bishop. That would be close to my family still but near some great fishing.
Eric
Eric

Postby jazz on the fly » February 11th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Benny wrote:Since this is a FANTASY retirement local, my local would be close to all my family and friends. It would have the best surf fishing and saltwater game fish you could imagine, the kind you find off the baja coast, big tuna, dorado, yellows etc...etc.... I'm not done yet! It would have a beautiful forest of lush pines meeting the sea, with rivers filled with huge migrating steelhead and sea-run browns. The small creeks would have goldens to your hearts content, the lakes filled with monster brookies. I could keep fantasizing but I know such a place does not exist, so for now I'll stick to SoCal :roll:

So basically So. Cal. before people came and effed it up ...
jazz on the fly

Postby ptflashback » February 11th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Next up on my list Boise, Idaho. I've never sat foot there. But it does meet some of my secondary criteria: college football, great mountain views, a unique city atmosphere. Looks good through the rose-colored glasses.

Anyone have any experience in Boise?
ptflashback

Postby Papasequoia » February 11th, 2011, 6:28 pm

ptflashback wrote:Next up on my list Boise, Idaho. I've never sat foot there. But it does meet some of my secondary criteria: college football, great mountain views, a unique city atmosphere. Looks good through the rose-colored glasses.

Now that Mike/midger has all but permanently moved there he will probably tell you it sucks and that no one else should move there (otherwise it will end up looking like SoCal). :lol:

How much fantasy are you looking for though? Like, private jet back and forth between British Columbia and the Bahamas, or realistic fantasy? I think there are a few places which meet your secondary criteria. You mentioned college football and for me, it has to be a college town. You get many of the benefits of a big city (cultural events, shopping - maybe even with a real, old-fashioned downtown, etc.) without many of the problems (gangs, high crime, traffic, etc.) I've lived in Ann Arbor, MI, Boulder, CO and Santa Cruz, CA and would move back to any of them in a flash. One problem though is cost, many of the best ones are expensive. However, Bozeman, Ft. Collins and a few others (including Boise) would be other alternatives that meet your secondary criteria. It also depends on if you want mountain trout fishing or want to be near the sea for saltwater fishing. That would add several others to the possible list.

For me, at the moment the plan is to retire in ~10 years (depending on how much the kid's college education costs). Also depending on the housing market we will be looking at Boulder for a primary home and somewhere non-touristy on the Mexican coast for part of the year. The only bottom line, rock solid definite is to get the * out of Ridgecrest! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » February 12th, 2011, 8:21 pm

ptflashback wrote:Next up on my list Boise, Idaho. I've never sat foot there. But it does meet some of my secondary criteria: college football, great mountain views, a unique city atmosphere. Looks good through the rose-colored glasses.

I don't expect a real onslaught of people to Boise, but I can say first hand that I really like it. It is a town with 185,000+ people, a university (smurf turf--Boise State), great medical in the town with two major hospitals covering all those geriatric maladies, good snow skiing 15miles out of town, water skiing 8 miles out of town, a trout river through downtown, a greenbelt paved bike path running 20+ miles from below Lucky Peak Reservoir to Eagle, numerous bike paths, a semi pro hockey team, triple AAA baseball team, major airport south of town right off the freeway, relatively mild climate for a far northern city, relatively cheap housing costs, low crime rate (by California standards), numerous rivers to trout fish very close to Boise--my favorite is 37 miles away, cultural stuff with the Morrison Center and Shakespearan open air theatre putting on productions in the summer, a dinner theatre (Knock em Dead), 3-5 fly shops (fluctuates with the economy--Blue Fly Cafe still runs an internet operation out of this area), more restaurants per capita than most towns this size, a vital downtown area with a Basque block and excellent food there, several live venue clubs that bring in name entertainment as well as a lot of "new" bands. Now the downside for anybody who's liberal--it is a bright red state. Expect it when you come and if the town you settle in doesn't have sidewalks, there's a reason. Folks don't want em so leave them in California. :roll: :lol: :lol:

I grew up in Idaho and spent a lot of time all over the USA including nearly 30 years in California spending twenty six years in the Air Force before I retired. Not being a beach person, the state of Idaho fits us to a tee. Oh, the Brown trout fishing on the O is nice, but I can substitute the river to the West of Boise and double the size of the browns caught. I miss my friends in California when I'm in Idaho, but not the state.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby skfudge » February 13th, 2011, 6:33 pm

If you are looking at Utah, check out Heber City. It is 30-40 minutes east of Provo. It has many quality rivers and lakes nearby, and an international airport an hour away. Snow skiing 30 minutes away at Park City. It is where I plan on being in a few years. I haven't found a better place so far. I love Logan, but I want the airport to make traveling easier.
skfudge

Postby WanderingBlues » February 14th, 2011, 6:21 am

Dave,
Check out http://www.findyourspot.com. They ask a few questions and then spit out a dozen or so locations where you might be happy. For us, things like mountains, good medical care, ample outdoors opportunities, a vibrant arts scene, a college or university near by, and at least one brew pub & coffee house all come into play. When I have taken the survey, it matched where we were looking already--- From Dolores to Pagosa Springs, CO; Southern Oregon, Northern Arizona, and Northern New Mexico.

Basically, anywhere away from Cali at this point. It's just too crowded for our tastes. Oh, and 4 years, 348 days to go.....
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby ptflashback » February 16th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Curtis, thanks for the link. And its funny that you mention Pagosa as I was checking out property there today when I should have been plannig Army stuff.
ptflashback

Postby jazz on the fly » February 17th, 2011, 12:50 am

WanderingBlues wrote: Check out http://www.findyourspot.com. They ask a few questions and then spit out a dozen or so locations where you might be happy. For us, things like mountains, good medical care, ample outdoors opportunities, a vibrant arts scene, a college or university near by, and at least one brew pub & coffee house all come into play. When I have taken the survey, it matched where we were looking already--- From Dolores to Pagosa Springs, CO; Southern Oregon, Northern Arizona, and Northern New Mexico.

Basically, anywhere away from Cali at this point. It's just too crowded for our tastes. Oh, and 4 years, 348 days to go.....

I took the quiz and almost every place was in Oregon and Vermont. I would advise anyone else taking this quiz to use fake personal info. All the extra stuff they asked looked like it would cause a landslide of junk mail and spam. I have about 30 year until retirement, but I'm not tied down in any way, so I think I may try to start my teaching career elsewhere.
jazz on the fly

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing