REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

small creeks and lines

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

small creeks and lines

Postby fflutterffly » March 9th, 2011, 7:37 am

Here is the Question:
Why do you need a reel anyway for small creeks? On most that I've fished, which are few, I've never had to throw out more than 20' of the tip. So why not just palm the rest, maybe like a Tenkara rod thing. Put a nice sized knot at the rod end, pass it through a metal loop installed in the rear of the butt and go from there. Would that work? I think I 'll have to give this a try.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: small creeks and lines

Postby fancyboy » March 9th, 2011, 8:00 am

Bernard and I were also discussing a small stream set-up somewhere between traditional and tenkara. Our idea is to take say a 3 weight line, cut off two thirds of the line and spool it on a 0 weight reel, so you'd still have a little line. This would let you cast a bit further if you like and set the hook by hauling the line a bit which you cannot do with a tenkara rod. One of the problems I've had in my limited tenkara experience is setting a hook with a 11 foot rod with no reel when there are low hanging branches everywhere (you have to raise the rod) as is often the case on our locals.
"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing."
fancyboy

Postby Lee-B » March 9th, 2011, 4:15 pm

"I've never had to throw out more than 20' of the tip."

That's why I switched to the saltwater. Got tired of the nymphing motion.
Lee-B

Postby fly addict » March 9th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I think reels are nothing more than line storage devices on small stream rods. But they do that very effectively. I could see 20’ of flyline getting snagged on something just about every step of the way on a small stream. The Tenkara style has its own drawbacks and fancyboy already pointed one out. I don’t think you need anything fancy as far as reels go on small stream rods. A click & prawl drag is more than enough. And you can find some really small and light reels that will balance an ultralight rod just fine.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Bernard » March 9th, 2011, 9:53 pm

fancyboy wrote:Bernard and I were also discussing a small stream set-up somewhere between traditional and tenkara. Our idea is to take say a 3 weight line, cut off two thirds of the line and spool it on a 0 weight reel, so you'd still have a little line. This would let you cast a bit further if you like and set the hook by hauling the line a bit which you cannot do with a tenkara rod. One of the problems I've had in my limited tenkara experience is setting a hook with a 11 foot rod with no reel when there are low hanging branches everywhere (you have to raise the rod) as is often the case on our locals.

I think it's time we put this experiment into practice. It may sound nutty but I have had fish on light tippet go ballistic and run hard and fast upstream on small creeks. Not having a reel would have meant riskily horsing the fish (poss. losing it). An additional 20 feet of line would be all one needs.

B
Bernard

Postby John Harper » March 11th, 2011, 12:00 pm

I'm using and old Martin tuna can click/pawl that belonged to my dad. Super light and simple. It's actually in mint condition, SS model something or other, so I think it's stainless steel.

John
John Harper

Postby RSetina » March 11th, 2011, 3:10 pm

It's true that with a Tenkara rod on a tight stream you have the problem with setting the hook. But that could be a problem with a 6 foot rod too. If the stream is too tight to cast you wouldn't be able to get a fly out there to set the hook with the fly line. I think it's all relative to the stream you're on and the equipment you're using. Sometimes you just can't get a fly through the plant life. If that's the case, I move on if shortening the rod a section or two won't work. For me the presentation with a Tenkara rod can't be beat on conflicting currents 25 to 30 feet out. The fly line is just too heavy unless you have a long fly rod. Then you're in the Tenkara rod length again.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby briansII » March 11th, 2011, 3:29 pm

fflutterffly wrote:Here is the Question:
Why do you need a reel anyway for small creeks? On most that I've fished, which are few, I've never had to throw out more than 20' of the tip. So why not just palm the rest, maybe like a Tenkara rod thing. Put a nice sized knot at the rod end, pass it through a metal loop installed in the rear of the butt and go from there. Would that work? I think I 'll have to give this a try.

Why not a reel? Not knocking what you are questioning, but unless your reel is really heavy, or obtrusive in some way, why not have a reel. I've fished the old "cane pole and string method" when I was a kid. While it has it's own charm, I gotta say, these days I like a reel on my pole. :D

Would like to try the Tenkara way too.

briansII
briansII

Postby Flyjunkie » March 11th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Actually the Reels on small stream rods add Balance to the Rod as well, otherwise the the rod would be Tip heavy....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Pete » March 11th, 2011, 9:03 pm

A little lead in the butt end of the seat will handle that balance issue ;) . Guys who fish the older fiberglass rods do that quite often. Still need something to keep that 20' of line out from under your feet.
Pete

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 12th, 2011, 12:10 pm

I have a friend that uses one of these.

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html

Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Sasha » March 13th, 2011, 10:53 am

DrCreek wrote:
fly addict wrote:I think reels are nothing more than line storage devices on small stream rods...

I've been saying this for years in every "reel" thread that's been started. Good one, Mark !!

Mike

Depends on how one uses their "small stream" rod :bananadance:
Sasha

Return to General Fly Fishing