REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

cheaper alternative to Aquaseal?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

cheaper alternative to Aquaseal?

Postby DubL HauL » March 10th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Is there anything that is cheaper and maybe more volume? Fast drying is not important just something to repair old waders.

Andy
DubL HauL

Re: cheaper alternative to Aquaseal?

Postby Flyjunkie » March 10th, 2011, 6:47 pm

PLIOBOND... just make sure you shake it and Mix it up completely... Takes 24 hours to fully cure....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby rkfiske » March 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Uh oh, you got alotta waders holes to fix?
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby midger » March 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Wet wading. :lol: :lol: ;)

I know other things may work, but for my money I'd use the aquaseal. How many holes do you have, anyway? Warranty still in effect? My Patagonia SSTs developed leaks after 5 years. I sent them back to Patagonia to see if they were repairable--Long story short, they sent me a new pair of Watermasters. While they were gone, I purchased another pair of of Patagonias to have a "spare". Great customer service, great product.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby DubL HauL » March 11th, 2011, 9:59 am

thanks for the tips guys

here is what the issue is, the inner leg material is rubbing and wearing out. You can see some previous repair as well. It's weird the wearing is around the edge of the previous repair patch which is inside. I was thinking about making an external patch about 1" x 4"?

thanks
Andy
DubL HauL

Postby briansII » March 11th, 2011, 10:36 am

That type of wear is pretty common for me. I think all, but my newest pair of waders, has that same kind of seam wear......and no, I don't have tree trunk legs. ;) Sort of makes sense that it's wearing along the edge of the inside patch, because it's thicker, and maybe stiffer there. It might be causing that repair edge to raise, and have more contact. FWIW, none of my similar wear spots are leaking. If they do, I'll just put a ribbon of Aquaseal along it. I do have some wader material included in patch kits, that I could use as an extra measure of insurance.

I like Aquaseal for repairs. Out of the different adhesives, Aquaseal seems to adhere well, and last the longest. Never tried Pliobond, but I do have a couple bottles of it. That might be the way to go, if you use a patch. Barge Cement is something used to glue on wading boot soles. That might work too. Shoe Goo too.

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » March 11th, 2011, 1:08 pm

"Seam Grip" is virtually the same as aquaseal, and is sold in big5 and other places a little cheaper than aquaseal.

http://www.adiposefin.com/blog/2010/8/5/preparing-for-a-backpacking-trip-repairing-thermarest-sleepi.html
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby The Steady Foot » March 16th, 2011, 11:14 pm

You remember the sound my knee made against that rock a few weeks back? I bought some Aquaseal and repaired the hole that little job did. You know I'm about as thrifty as they come and although Aquaseal seemed a bit expensive for what you get, I can't imagine using the entire tube any time soon. Totally worth it IMO.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby rayfound » March 17th, 2011, 8:22 am

The Steady Foot wrote: I can't imagine using the entire tube any time soon. Totally worth it IMO.

I have a pair of waist-high waders with 2 full tubes applied. (and leaking again!)
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » March 17th, 2011, 10:02 am

rayfound wrote:
The Steady Foot wrote: I can't imagine using the entire tube any time soon. Totally worth it IMO.

I have a pair of waist-high waders with 2 full tubes applied. (and leaking again!)

:funnyup:

I have a buddy that counted close to 200 dabs of Aquaseal on his waders. Last time I check my old Simms Guide waders, they had dozens of spots of AS. And yes, it still has some pinhole leaks. Those spots are badges of honor. It means your using your waders. :)

briansII
briansII

Postby The Steady Foot » March 18th, 2011, 4:40 pm

huh, i wonder if i've been lucky. Dam you guys are rough on waders!!
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby Baughb » March 25th, 2011, 12:32 pm

So can I take a comfortable pair of levis and completely slather them in auqaseal? Then I'll have pockets too!

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 25th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Duluth trading company has this stuff called sail tape. I am wondering if that will work on a pair of waders I have that have a tear and no amount of aquaseal has ever been able to repair it.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Return to General Fly Fishing