REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

sunglasses w/ interchangeable lenses-Success!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

sunglasses w/ interchangeable lenses-Success!!

Postby The Steady Foot » June 6th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Hi yall,

I've been buying terrible Target-special polarized sun-glasses in an effort not to spend too much $$$$, but after my fourth pair of crap glasses its time to get something better.

So, my questions is does anyone have any recommendations/experiences(good or bad)/suggestions on polarized glasses with interchangeable lenses? I'm a cheap SOB so I'm trying to get something decent that will last a while without paying too much (<$100). Thanks for any input.

mike
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Re: sunglasses w/ interchangeable lenses

Postby DubL HauL » June 6th, 2011, 3:50 pm

you can get cheap ones maybe like $20 but if you want something that is good plan on spending $100 or more. Sport Chalet has some cheap-ez on the racks.

Personally I like Ray Ban for the glass lens harder to scratch than plastic lens. I think there could be better technology in the laminated plastic lens but it scratches.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby hpskiff » June 6th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I have not used an interchangeable lens system, but I had some polarized Oakleys for several years, until they got stolen. The optic quality and the polarization were both very good. I was very careful and never had issues with scratches. My daughter scratched her pair up pretty good though. I picked them up for $100 at the Oakley Outlet in Cabazon. I know Oakley used to have several styles of interchangeables.

Now I use Kaenons. The lens quality is great and the frame design blocks a lot more wind than the "Square wire" Oakleys, but they are over your $100 limit. Also they are headquartered in Orange County so special orders are fast.

If you are ever in the Newport Beach area I highly recommend SunGlass Plus
1799 Newport Boulevard, Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 645-4141 ‎

They are an independent store with a ridiculously large inventory of every major brand and seem to really know their product. For example, I now wear prescription lenses in my sunglasses but get the lenses made by the sunglass company, not an independent lab. Every store I went to for the Kaenons, wanted to sell me the glasses off the shelf then send them to Kaenon for the RX. Sunglass Plus was able to order them direct from Kaenon and saved me over $100 by not selling me a pair that already had lenses in it, and didn't charge me sales tax since they were RX. It doesn't hurt that they are almost across the street from His and Her's Fly Shop either (except maybe in the wallet).
Mitchell
hpskiff

Postby WanderingBlues » June 6th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I prefer the Oakleys, but they are expensive. I'd say check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com. They have a good selection of Smith's, which are my 2nd favorite brand.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby rkfiske » June 6th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Go on steepandcheap dot com and check it daily, they have some plugins for browsers to monitor. I got my smith interchangeables there for 25 bucks discounted from like 120 or something crazy like that. If you're not in a serious rush and don't care too much what they look like that's a great way to nab some decent stuff!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby tomsakai » June 6th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Not interchangeable lenses but check out the selection at Costco. It's been a couple of years since I've checked but they had Maui Jims for less than $100 at that time. Limited selection though.
tomsakai

Postby Gary C. » June 6th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I agree about steepandcheap, I got a great deal on some Smiths there also. Sierra Trading Post also has pretty good deals.
Gary C.

Postby Danny McB » June 6th, 2011, 8:29 pm

rkfiske wrote:Go on steepandcheap dot com and check it daily, they have some plugins for browsers to monitor. I got my smith interchangeables there for 25 bucks discounted from like 120 or something crazy like that. If you're not in a serious rush and don't care too much what they look like that's a great way to nab some decent stuff!

This is what I did and got some costa del mars with 3 different lenses that I am happy with for $40
Danny McB

Postby FlyinFish » June 6th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Yup, you'll find some deals on SAC, but if you're like me and have a massive and oblong head, you really gotta make sure they fit. Try on some brands at the store and see which brand and styles fit you.

I have a pair of Natives with interchangeable lenses. They come with polarized black, amber non-polarized, and clear. The polarized is for still water, the amber is for creekin', and the clear is for non-fishing activities. Works awesome. I have the kind that only has the top frame, so swapping lenses is easy.

Only recommendation is get something with an amber pair. It works amazingly on our CA terrain. If you can get polarized amber, than it's that much better, but not a big deal if not. I find dark polarized lenses to be too annoying when hiking and fishing the locals. The amber lenses really make things pop.
FlyinFish

Postby ptflashback » June 6th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I know you don't desire more cheapies, but I'm constantly going back for the ole amber lens Strike Kings at Wally World.

Those suckers are like BlueBlockers! Much better clarity than some other, high dollar ballistics that I own.
ptflashback

Postby fshflys » June 7th, 2011, 6:23 am

I was never one that thought cheapies are the way to go, more... you get what you pay for. I started wearing Ray Bans back in the '70's with the theory that if I pay for a good pair, I'll remeber where I put them & not lose them. Back then, Ray Ban had a policy much like the Fly Rod industry, break em, send em in & they'd replaced them. I think the 1st pair I bought lasted about 12 years (3 pairs, broke & replaced) then it was time to break down & buy another pair due to style change. My latest pair of Ray Bans I've had for 5 years now, but they have perscription lenses. This thread reminds me, I need to make an appointment with my DR & get new lenses, frames are still great shape. Remember, these are your eyes we're talking about, break down & buy a good pair, it'll be cheaper in the long run.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby fishhunterphil » June 7th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Sunglasses are worth the investment in my opinion. I have been looking into the Oakley Jawbones. My buddy, who works for Oakley, said they come with two lenses so that makes the steep price tag a bit more tolerable.
fishhunterphil

Postby briansII » June 8th, 2011, 9:25 am

I've used a few different styles of interchangeable lens, glasses. These were shooting glasses, but still polarized. Ok for shooting, but personally I see no big benefit for fishing, unless you plan to fish a wide range(fresh, salt, off shore, rivers, flats)of water.

I have pairs of higher end(Action Optics, Maui Jims, etc..) glasses. They definitely have quality lenses, but the styles don't fit my face well. I have several pairs of cheaper glasses, but I just don't care for the fit, and quality of the lens. Currently I am using cheaper glasses, but the fit and lenses are good. Not great, but good to very good. One is Guideline. They fit very well on my face, and the lenses are good. Being polycarbonate lenses, they are starting to get scratched bad enough to need replacing. The other is Haber. Good fit. Very good, photochromatic, glass lenses. For all around fishing, I like brown/amber/copper lens colors.

Hope this helps.

briansII
briansII

Postby The Steady Foot » June 9th, 2011, 11:50 am

Thanks for all the responses folks.

I have been regularly checking SAC for a few years and have seen a handful of glasses I didn't like. Now that I posted this question, SAC has had dozens of glasses similar to what I'm looking for just in the last few days. I still don't like em tho ; )
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby Jim T » June 9th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Take a look at these from H30:

http://h3opolarized.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

I've had them for a few years and like the fit and versatility. I went with the Storm due to the desire for a slightly larger frame. Would consider the Storm Lite now since the yellow lens did not work as well as I hoped.

I like to go with dark gray most of the time as my eyes are very sensitive to light.

I use the amber on overcast days, yellow at dusk, and the clear ones after dark when lake fishing. Mine came with all 4 lenses but it looks like they now come with only 3. Note: The yellow had an odd color shift at dusk. I wanted them for wading at/after dark to see the bottom when getting back to my car. My clear lenses are not polarized but looks like they now have a clear lens that is polarized. Might have to try a pair.

Jim
Jim T

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing