REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Grey haired, curmudgeons???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Grey haired, curmudgeons???

Postby hpskiff » June 8th, 2011, 10:44 am

I am starting a new thread because I don't want to take the Caltrout, Tu, FFF thread off topic.

I just want to point out to the "young" guys on here that there does not need to be a big gap or awkwardness between you and most of the "Grey haired, curmudgeons" referred to in that other thread. Yes it takes a little patience on both sides to fish together but it is easily possible and enjoyable.

I recently went on a week long trip with 23 guys I had never met before. They were all members of two well established local clubs. At 36, I was the youngest on the trip by at least 12 years and I'm guessing I beat the average by 20+ years. We all had a great time and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome, and recruit me into their clubs.

So let me extend the welcome a generation younger, any of you teen to twenty somethings that want to fish the San Gabriels or Kelp beds shoot me a line. I may even bring one of those "Curmudgeons" along too.

Any tips or comments on fishing with people from a different generation are welcome.
Mitchell
hpskiff

Re: Grey haired, curmudgeons???

Postby NorcalBob » June 8th, 2011, 10:55 am

Please take my comments about us greybeards as a tongue in cheek ribbing of my generation!!! :grouphug:
I pretty much fish with two different groups of individuals; my group of old retired greybeards, and my son's group of mostly twenty somethings. We also mix and match the two groups together, and have a lot of fun together giving each other a bunch of grief! :booty:
There have NEVER been any issues between the two groups, and we all have a blast together. We even spent a week together in AK last year (3 greybeards & 3 kids!) and managed to catch a ton of fish and have a blast. The greybeards caught bigger fish, but the kids caught more fish!!! :rockon:
We call them "kids" and they call us "grandpa's"!!!! And it's all in good fun!!! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby Chris Kuhn » June 8th, 2011, 11:10 am

I think fishing with people of any age is not a problem. The problem comes after the fishing, say around ten o'clock when the young guys bring out the beer bong.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Pete » June 8th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I don't want to fish with any of those young guys!!!!! They make rock hopping and staying up all night look too easy :fireangry: . Then I try to keep up and end up bruising my pride or forgetting the last night's events :doh:. Age doesn't matter if they sling a fly rod and want to relax and have a good time, I'm in. :grouphug:
Pete

Postby 1mocast » June 8th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Grey haired, curmudgeons??? Hey, I resemble that remark! :booty: ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flybob » June 8th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Can you say 50lbs of Backpack 6 miles from 10000' to 11000' in 3 1/2 hours at 54 years old? :D

maybe not this year...... :oops:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby NorcalBob » June 8th, 2011, 1:12 pm

"around ten o'clock when the young guys bring out the beer bong"
Hey, what gives? I ain't never seen a beer bong on my trips with the kids. What is this age discrimination!!!! :funnyup:
NorcalBob

Postby rkfiske » June 8th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Don't worry, there are a few of us on the forum young enough to call you gramps if you'd like ;)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby lucfish » June 8th, 2011, 2:04 pm

At least for me, fishing with wippersnappers is an enjoyable experience. Yea they can rock hop you to death, but for the most part it's just fishing and as long it's not a 12 hour fishing day it's all good and I look forward to it. Funny though, sometimes I'll be fishing with a 30 year old and think, my kids are older than this guy and if I'm holding my own with whatever fishign were doing I think hey I still got it, don't retire me yet!
lucfish

Postby Chris Kuhn » June 8th, 2011, 2:07 pm

NorcalBob wrote:"around ten o'clock when the young guys bring out the beer bong"
Hey, what gives? I ain't never seen a beer bong on my trips with the kids. What is this age discrimination!!!! :funnyup:

That's because by that time you are out like a light. ;)
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby FlyinFish » June 8th, 2011, 2:21 pm

I fish with a few of the more "classic models" on the lot in this joint... one of them has a beard, but it's not really white... We seem to get along just fine.

As long as I take a few swigs of scotch or cognac before starting the day, we're all at pretty much the same pace. :D
FlyinFish

Postby briansII » June 8th, 2011, 2:43 pm

FlyinFish wrote:I fish with a few of the more "classic models" on the lot in this joint... one of them has a beard, but it's not really white... We seem to get along just fine.

As long as I take a few swigs of scotch or cognac before starting the day, we're all at pretty much the same pace. :D

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

I absolutely love fishing with younger guys. Who wouldn't want to be out hiked. Out fished. Out cast. Out partied. Out just about everything I value in my past time. Yeah, those #@&!*% kids are great! :|

Just don't tangle with me in a pie eating, or snoring contest. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » June 8th, 2011, 3:26 pm

While some of us may be older physically, we are all young at heart or we would not be so passionate about fly fishing. Between going back to college, and reading this thread I guess I have to admit I am one of the "old guys". I don't hop from rock to rock (but I do really great backwards swan dives off cut banks). It's still as fun for me to fish a fly as it was the first day I started.

I have fished with all age ranges of folks from this board, and never even thought about the age difference between us. There is one thing though...there's no substitute for experience 8-)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby beachbum » June 8th, 2011, 3:26 pm

I don't hear well either :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby FlyinFish » June 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

briansII wrote: or snoring contest. :bananadance:

briansII

Challenge accepted.