REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby stanbery » June 7th, 2009, 12:51 am

Fishinghiker

Welocme aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby midger » June 7th, 2009, 7:12 am

Les, Birddog, Tom, FishingHiker---welcome all. It's an "okay" group here :roll: and there is lots to learn. Sometimes feathers get ruffled, but generally it goes smoothly :comfort: and we all have a group hug :grouphug:

If that doesn't work then there's always :gun: :gun: or if you prefer the written word then :fireangry: or you can just :booty:

Enjoy it, make friends, fish a lot and don't :deadhorse:

Oh, and FishingHiker, all us old timers are curmudgeons who won't give a newbie the time of day--heck many of us don't even wear watches. ;) ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » June 7th, 2009, 11:54 am

I wish you would all just GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

Oh yeah, welcome to the new folks
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Justin » June 7th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Welcome fishinghiker good to see you here!!

Justin
Justin

Postby Sasha » June 7th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Welcome Tom and FishingHiker.
Sasha

Postby flybob » June 19th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Tom, Fishinghiker, GREAT Bio's!
And welcome to the family, no stuffiness here!
Ask and ye shall recieve, maybe, if we trust you.... :?

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Brian Sloss » July 7th, 2009, 9:36 am

Hey Guys,
My name is Brian Sloss and I live in Alton, Mo where I have a river outfitter and do guided fly fishing on the Eleven Point River. If you ever need Ozark fly fishing advice, feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help.
Brian Sloss

Postby flybob » July 7th, 2009, 10:13 am

Welcome to the fray Brian!

Looks like our little family is expanding Eastward!

Love to see some picture posts from the Ozarks!

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Brian Sloss » July 8th, 2009, 6:04 am

Sure,
The Eleven Point, unlike the famous White River, is completely free flowing and undeveloped. It is one of 2 rivers in the ozark region that is a national wild and scenic river (Buffalo is the other). We have a couple of other national scenic rivers as well (Current and Jack's Fork). By far the Eleven Point is the most remote and therefore least traveled. Here is a link to an article recently about my services that has some pics: http://www.ruralmissouri.org/09pages/09 ... tboat.html
You can expect to catch rainbow trout, smallmouth, goggle eye, or pickerel and rarely a walleye on the Eleven Point. There is no Development on the entire river until you are almost to Arkansas and on the very upper river where it is more of a creek. The trout water is started by Greer spring, which averages 222 million gallons of cold water a day and the river is fed by numerous springs throughout its entire length. There are lots of bluffs and caves as well. The trout fishing is unreal in late summer and fall with my favorite month being Sept when the hexes are out. We can tear them up on hex nymphs all day. We don't get much dry fly action, though we get plenty of hatches as the food sources near the bottom are vast. Crawdads, stoneflies, minnows and big stuff like that do the best. I'll be happy to answer questions about the other ozark rivers as well as I have fished them all.
Brian Sloss

Postby Brian Sloss » July 8th, 2009, 6:06 am

Forgot to tell you, we are 1.5 hours from the White.
Brian Sloss

Postby theophilus » July 17th, 2009, 11:42 am

FlyBob introduced me to this forum, and my tardiness in adding my bio does not reflect upon the enjoyment I have found in every post.

I have lived in SoCal for all my 57 years, 38 of which have been spent in happy marriage to my high school sweetheart. I don't remember not being a fisherman, and the earliest photo of me in a family album shows a boy of about 2 holding a bluegill in a death-grip, on the shore of Big Bear Lake. Flyfishing has been my outdoor passion for about 8 years- I have found it to be an uncomplicated, non-mechanical way of fishing which is capable of infinite complexity and detail. Add fly tying and rod building, and you have a hobby of undiscovered depth.

Archery hunting steals my time from trout streams when fall arrives, as do, to a lesser degree, quail and duck hunting. And perhaps I should mention that work occasionally beckons- we have a family owned contracting business, capably run by my oldest of two sons.

I have long imagined myself in a less crowded, greener and wetter area, where fishing is an ordinary part of each ordinary day, but for now, I am content to just imagine, and live quietly. May God grant you the same.

Doug
"Everything flows" - Heraclitus
theophilus

Postby darrin terry » July 17th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Welcome, Doug! Any friend of Bob's… :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby theokieangler » July 20th, 2009, 11:31 am

Brian Sloss wrote:Hey Guys,
My name is Brian Sloss and I live in Alton, Mo where I have a river outfitter and do guided fly fishing on the Eleven Point River. If you ever need Ozark fly fishing advice, feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help.

Hey Brian... glad to have another central US member on the forum! Welcome aboard. Sounds like I need to add the Eleven Point River to my "gotta go fish sometime" list.
theokieangler

Postby Brian Sloss » July 24th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Okie
Give me a holler if you ever get over my way. I'd be happy to introduce you to the area.
Brian Sloss

Postby duckdog » August 6th, 2009, 3:48 am

my name is mike and i live in oceanside, ca. when i first got on this web site i tried to post a bio. twice , when i hit submit they just went away, where, i have no clue. for all i know i sent them to some little old man in china and he's wondering , "who this duckdog , and why he think i care!" being a 1 finger typist i just gave up. third times the charm, maybe. i was raised on the south shore of long island,n.y. the 1950's and 60's were a great time to be a kid there. great south bay was still alive and you could actualy eat the fish w/o risking your health. i don't remember a time when i didn't fish. my dad didn't fish, but his brother did and he got me hooked. i'll alway's be greatfull. i can remember being 4 or 5 years old and wanting to fish so bad that i would get a stick, string, a christmass ornament hook, a berry off a bush in our yard, and fish the puddles at the curb in front of our house. what a little dope. there are day's when i feel like i'm still fishin that puddle. i started fly fishing by the time i was ten, don't know where that came from, nobody around me did it. started tying flies then as well. the first few years were filled w/ 10-12 inch stocked browns and brookies. then the little criminal in me came out, there was this private club on the connetquot river about 1 1/2 hr bike ride from my house. i had heard stories, and had to take a crack at it.OH MAN , it was to good to be true. if you have a copy of mike lawson's book "spring creeks" look on pg.7. for the next few years i'd leave the house very early so i could get there well before daylight, be on the river throwing baitfish patterns, catching some of the biggest trout of my life, and gone before the members showed up. the old game warden eventualy nailed me and took me into the clubhouse to face some of the members. after threats to call the sherif and take my gear they let me go with the old "if we ever catch you in here again" ringin in my ears. i tried to go back to the small stockers, but it just didn't cut it. jaded at the tender age of 16. i started surfing,and flyfishing just went away. surfing became my life's passion and i started building surfboards when i was 17 and it's how i earn a living to this day. surfing led me to so.cal. in the mid 70's ,{ i got tired of my hair freezing surfing in n.y in the winter}. got married to the love of my life in 1980 back in n.y. and draged her out here. then in 1984 i was in the waiting room of my doctors office and i picked up a fishing mag. and there was an artical on the owens river,now i hadn't really thought much about flyfishing for some time, but it was like there was some flyfishing sleeper cell in me that had been cut loose , because all of a sudden going to the owens and flyfishing was all i could think about. i still had my old tying stuff in a box in the closet, got it out , picked up a few supplies , tied some flies, and went fishing.it was great,the lower o. will always be special to me because it got me back into flyfishing,and hunting. i split my time between fishing and running my two german short hairs on quail , pheasant and ducks.well , actually THEY don't like duck hunting, too much sitting in one place. sitting still is not a short hair thing. the name duckdog is for my dog ruby, cause she's my little [reluctant] duckdog.-well , time to hit the submit, hope that guy in china's ready.
duckdog

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing