REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby stanbery » December 3rd, 2008, 4:04 am

Grant and Jimmer

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » December 3rd, 2008, 7:15 am

Hey Jimmer, glad to see you could make the party!

Looking forward to your contributions, would love to see some of your rodsmithing in the Rod building Section.

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Eric » December 3rd, 2008, 8:55 am

Good to see Grant and Jimmer join the group. Really looking forward to some of your great reports Jimmer.
Eric
Eric

Postby Flyjunkie » December 3rd, 2008, 10:13 am

JIM,

Have enjoyed your Various posts on the Southwest Board.. Certainly alot of Great Outings you have under your belt.... Welcome Aboard... ;) 8-)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Benny » December 3rd, 2008, 10:29 am

Hi Jim, I too have read some of your reports and admired your photos on the Southwest Board. Welcome 8-)
Benny

Postby JensFishn » December 3rd, 2008, 7:56 pm

Hello fisher-people,

I just found this site and see lots of familiar faces. Thought I'd introduce myself & tell my big fish story. (I go by fishergirl62 on most other sites but the 'fishergirl' part is getting too common & has caused confusion so now I'm Jensfishn)

I got into fishing the way most girls do...by dating a fisherman. Of course I wanted him to think I was outdoorsy and into whatever he was into but I really just wanted to sit under a tree & read a book while he fished. Bugs and dirt...no thank you! My idea of "roughing-it" was a Holiday Inn.

After a few trips sitting on the side line, I picked up one of his spin rods & asked him to show me how to cast it. Didn't take long before I was 'hooked'. Bought my license then spent hours at Barnes & Noble reading everything I could find about fishing. (this was before I had the inter-net). I cast-aside the fishing boyfriend but continued to fish every chance I got. I give him credit for introducing me to the art of fishing and a love of the outdoors. I have since gotten married to a wonderful guy who shares my love of fishing, hiking, and camping. I had to teach him to fish before I said "I DO".

Once I bought my computer, first thing I did was search for fishing web sites. I found a bunch of guys on one who were really into float tubing and I though, wow...that looks fun. I asked tons of question, got some great advise and bought everything I needed to get started.

At the urging of one of your members, I decided to try flyfishing. Yes...Stanbery go to me too. He'll not rest until flyfishers rule the world. My husband bought me a cheep rod & reel set-up which I replaced after my first lesson with David(TheFlyGuide) on the Kern.
I can't say that I have had much success on the fly yet but I'm very patient and love the challenge of learning something new.

I haven't fished much this past year because we were trying to buy a house so every weekend was devoted to the house hunt. Now that we are settled in, I look forward to hitting the water more often. I am also in search of a local support group to help me with my addiction, but I really don't want to find a 'cure'.

I Hope to fish with and learn from many of you soon.

Jennifer
"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
JensFishn

Postby Benny » December 3rd, 2008, 8:15 pm

Jennifer, if you need to feed that addiction just let anyone of us know. Everyone is very helpful and willing to help out. Have fun and welcome to the ADDICTS forum 8-)
Benny

Postby Eric » December 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm

Welcome to the site Jennifer. Jon does do that to you doesn't he :)
Eric
Eric

Postby darrin terry » December 3rd, 2008, 9:03 pm

Boy, this thread is gettin some love lately! Nice.

Welcome Grant, Jim & Jennifer! 8-) 8-) 8-) Looking forward to your posts and getting to you although Grant I am familiar with. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby thtsarumr » December 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

To all the newcomers,

WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME!!!!!
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Sasha » December 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm

Welcome to all the FNGs :D
Sasha

Postby stanbery » December 4th, 2008, 2:48 am

Jennifer

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » December 4th, 2008, 8:38 am

Jennifer, welcome to our halfway house for the addicted!

Yes there are support groups here, but they only make the affliction worse!

repeat after me: "There are no wild fish in the SoCal mountains" :?

Cheers!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby WatchinTheWater » December 4th, 2008, 9:54 am

By the time I was old enough to do any fishing the boat that my father and grandfather hand built had been sold. I have memories of romping around in it with my cousins while it sat on the trailer in my grandparent’s back yard but grandpa's failing health and dads supporting the family were higher priorities than the boat. An uncle took me on a couple of summer trips in the early 60's to the Mammoth area for some fishing and when I was a teen a friend of my father's would take me to the Sespee area to fish with a #12 Eagle Claw and three salmon eggs. My love for the wilderness was developed more through the Boy Scouts than my family. Our troop hiked quite a bit and through some good leaders I learned to be comfortable in the backcountry.

Swimming, school and lifeguarding steered me away from the mountains for a while. After being graduated from college(Northern Colorado) I lifeguarded the beaches of Los Angeles in the summers and ski patrolled Steamboat during the winters. Patrolling and skiing were my mountain and backcountry fixes. Racing a surf dory occupied every summer weekend for a while and with the promotion to permanent lifeguard my mountain time even got reduced in the winter months. After thirty-four years the lifeguards are paying me NOT to come to work, retirement is great, and I've got lots of time to enjoy the out of doors. This will be my twenty-eighth year with the Steamboat Ski Patrol which I do part time these days.

After dad retired he moved to Idaho and took up fly fishing. He was a member of the North Idaho Fly Casters for a few years but he was never truly addicted. After his 7wt had sat unused for a while he gave it to me with reels and vests and fly boxes and everything I needed to get started. I fished a few times but never really got the hang of it. For my fiftieth birthday I bought myself a 4wt and on Dean's recommendation booked a half day trip on the Kern with David. Soon I figured out that a little hiking would get me to some great fishing in the Southern Sierra. My fifty-first birthday gift to myself was a 00 and the fifty-second a 2wt so I started taking those two sticks into the backcountry whenever I could. I’ve only been fly fishing a short time but have already fished some fabulous waters. Thanks to the long rods I have been in more national forests, wilderness areas, and National Parks than I could have imagined these past few years. My retirement gift from my fellow lifeguards was two days on the Bitterroot this fall and this year’s birthday present to myself was a vise with tying tools and materials.
Wanting to leave L.A. and ten million neighbors behind Steamboat Colorado is my new permanent home. There is plenty of good water nearby and Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana are much easier road trips from here. I still have the L.A. house and family in the area so I will continue to visit SoCal and The Range of Light is always calling.
Hooked to the soul I am!
Dave
WTW
WatchinTheWater

Postby flybob » December 4th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Great getting to know you Dave!

And for those of you who don't know it, Dave is the "Master of the Dutch Oven!"
(rmg/2012)
flybob

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing