REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Where'd you come from?

Postby mtnguru » November 2nd, 2008, 8:06 pm

First and foremost, Rayfound, I applaude you. This is one of the better threads I've read, it's held my attention for the last 30 minutes as I've gone through each response.

I'll breeze through my adolesence which, for the most part, was my foundation for what I've become today. I've fished for as long as I can remember, that and spending every opportunity in the woods. Whether exploring the local parks of northern Virginia or knee deep in a creek chasing crayfish, I was always outside. My dad did some fishing and spent time outdoors in his younger years so I can assume that gene rubbed off on me, however most of my time was spent in solo exploration.

After a modest attempt at college, I moved to Colorado and spent a year on a wildland fire hand crew. Working outdoors and hiking in my off time, I fell in love with the west. I moved back to Virginia there after but to quote Led Zeppelin, "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving." So after a week in San Diego visiting a friend from my fire crew I returned to VA, quit both of my jobs, got my college tuition reimbursed and moved out a month later. This was about six years ago. I began backpacking all over southern California and like flybob, I was unaware of the treasures that lay under the surface. I started working at a restaurant downtown and met a fellow by the name of Joe Barry (Sheriff Joe). Although only a modest acquiantance, we soon disembarked on a trip hiking the John Muir Trail together. Joe and another friend of his that came along had brought these fancy floppy fishing rods, while I had my collapsible Shakespeare Expedition spinning rod. It was on this trip that I caught my first trout with Joe's fly rod, I don't recall what lake outlet it was but I'm sure he remembers. Needless to say a strong friendship was started on that trip and I count him as one of my closest friends today (though he may not know it).

Until this year he was the only other person I've shared water with and we've covered a lot of water together. After a failed attempt at fishing with Dr. Creek earlier this year (I think), I finally made it on the water with him this summer. (It was a nice drive through the country though, ehh Mike?) This forum has been a wonderful find thanks to Joe, and I have since had the pleasure of spending some water with a few other members.

I LOVE FLYFISHING. I do, I really do. It has changed the planning of my backpacking trips, the way I experience the outdoors and the manner in which I enjoy my life. I have but one humble pack rod and what more do I need. Then again who am I kidding, I too have a compensator rod on my wish list considering I haven't fished a creek wider than a two lane road. Mike and Joe showed me the light :D I am on my career path as a firefighter with a schedule I could only dream of...three days on and FOUR days off! Every week! Woo hoo. This has been a lovely trip down memory lane and I look forward to reading other replies to this thread.
mtnguru

Postby RubiKinda » November 2nd, 2008, 9:24 pm

So Craig (WildFly) may have forgotten, but I will tell the story of his first fish on the flyrod. I said flyrod not on the fly. He may have mentioned we grew up fishing for bass in the local so-cal lakes and one of our favorites was sneaking into Lake Matthews. Well one night, don't ask me why, but we brought along a flyrod...a cheap Big-5 one I bought for some reason. Along with our strange off the wall gear we had packed in was a canteen full of large feeder goldfish we used for bait. At some point during the night, the flyrod got a nice goldfish pinned to the hook and left a few feet off the rocky point. Well Craig ended up grabbing the rod when it got bit, and he ended up with a solid 5 lb. largemouth on the fly....rod. My story is very similar to Craig's, I got started a bit earlier than him after buying my first real set up, a Sage RPL+ 4 wt. I still fish today. In fact this past trip with him and XJ it was the only rod I fished. That was a great trip, being there with Craig watching Aaron hang that fish was more rewarding than doing it myself.
RubiKinda

Postby darrin terry » November 3rd, 2008, 12:37 am

This is a bit longer than I'd thought it would be, but here goes…

California. Huntington Beach. December 28, 1968.

That's where and when I was born and where I lived until about half way through the 4th grade. It was during this period that I was introduced to fishing. It was not something we did often though. I can recall maybe three or four trips - my Dad had a friend with a boat with whom we went out on the ocean, I think twice, and I can recall one trip to the Sierras.

One other early fishing memory: I was the youngest of three kids. My older brother (10 years older) was in trouble a lot and my parents decided to have him spend his 14th summer in Georgia. My Dad had a cousin there who I believe was a pig farmer. At least I remember pigs on his farm and lots of mud. We had driven across country to drop him off. While we were there we went fishing in the swamps. Way cool and that is one of the very few things I recall of the trip. We bought cane rods and bobbers and crickets, then went out in a boat. I don't remember whether or not we caught anything. I was four. We had frog legs for dinner one night. I was taught to shoot that trip too. I barely remember the drive, though I do remember my Dad saying there were bigfoot signs everywhere. :D The cane rods disappeared years ago. :(

Looking back, I think the trip that had the most lasting effect on me, fishing wise, was the trip to the Sierras. Funny thing, I did not even know it was in the Sierras until last year. We went to Silver Lake (I had though it Silverlake in the LA area). I've not been back, but I think it's near June Lake. I do seem to recall my Dad fishing a small creek we were camped along, but it is the creek itself which worked some magic in me. I can still picture the damselflies flittering around the waters edges. And the sound the water made.

My family moved to Lompoc, CA in the winter of 1978. My Dad had taken a job on Vandenberg AFB with Martin Marietta. During the first few years there we went fishing a few times, usually at a local lake on the base. I discovered that I could go catch snakes and lizards in the hills around our home. Fishing still had not taken with me, although I enjoyed it when we went.

After high school life took me in a direction and on a path that I would never have imagined myself walking.

Water has always played a big part in my life. I had after all grown up around the beach, had a Dad who was a Huntington Beach lifeguard out of high school and have always loved being in and around water. What I never suspected was that I would one day visit the Sierras and find a connection to the outdoors that has held me for 20+ years so far. No sign it's gonna let up. The place was Dinkey Creek. The occasion was an 11 day camping trip with a couple buddies from high school in the summer of 1987. Something about the scenery, the smells, the entire experience dug into me and has been a part of my life since. It's where I've gone when I needed to recharge, to relax, to let everything that bothers me about living in and around all the crap people create fade away. For some reason, when driving into those mountains, a smile reaches my face, a peace finds me. It happens somewhere around 4000 feet in elevation. Just about where the pines and cedars take over from the oaks and manzanita. A line exists above which lies heaven. My own sense of heaven anyway. Sure, there are usually plenty of others who seek these places out, but it is still so far removed from life in a city anywhere that they really don't matter too much. Besides, that is just the entry to the places I seek.

I would never have thought there was a part of that experience I was missing.

In 1990 I applied to CalPoly SLO, but after two attempts at getting into their very impacted graphics program and failing, I was accepted at CSU Fresno. Aside from acceptance, it had two other things going for it. The friend who had first taken me to the Sierras was going to go there and it was at the foothills of the Sierras with Dinkey Creek just an hour away.

Fast forward a few years and I was introduced to 4-wheeling in those mountains. From about 1993 to 2004, my friends and I started camping farther from campgrounds and people. Not hiking or backpacking, but backwoods sites, often places a 4WD was needed for us to get to. I saw some of the most beautiful places during those years. Lakes that had fish rising everywhere, creeks twisting all through those mountain canyons, cliffs which lit up with the sunset in hues of pink, orange and greens. My favorite campsites were always those that were creekside. Being sent to sleep to the sound of a creek tumbling by was was one of the most soothing, incredible experiences. It seemed to wake something in me while putting me to sleep each night.

Sometime around 2000 or 2001 I was re-introduced to fishing. Sure, I had gone along with friends and watched as they pulled pretty little trouts from mountain streams and creeks. I was enjoying the places though, not fishing myself. It still formed an opinion as to what and where fishing for me was linked. Small mountain creeks, small trout. Rainbows, browns and brookies. Naturally when I did start fishing, that was what I wanted to do. Fly fishing however was something I could not seem to afford. It had been in my mind for years. Before the movie. I think it goes back to MASH. Watching Henry Blake tie flies at his desk, maybe some fishing show or magazine as well. I am not really sure, but it was there and it did not come from anyone I knew.

After a just a year or two, fishing those small creeks, I had my first encounter with a flyfisherman. Things started simmering in the back of my mind that day. It seems inevitable looking back. About a year and a half ago a friend suggested we take a free fly fishing class here in Fresno. I signed up some weeks later but my friend had to back out due to some personal issues. Not me, * that. It had finally happened. My chance had arrived and I was not about to let it get away. I took that class, left there to get my taxes done, found out a refund was coming and went home and did what many a newb has done. I started shopping for a rod online.

My first time fly fishing followed soon enough. Memorial Day weekend camping trip, the creek which ran about 15 feet from my tent's front door. I caught my first fish in the first pool I fished. A 5 inch brookie. Within a few days I stopped using the spinning gear and within a couple of months I stopped taking it with. I've never looked back. I've caught more fish in the last year and a half than in all the time prior though.

Now? I've got seven rods, no idea how many reels/lines. I tie flies. I build rods. I've said it before and will again…I think I am the one that is hooked each time. As for the fish, well they don't play catch and release. I like it that way.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Benny » November 3rd, 2008, 10:34 am

I was born and raised in East Los Angeles, I had an early introduction to the world of fishing by my father and uncles. As a child I recall fishing the local city ponds for bluegills and catfish. My father and uncles would take me along when fishing for bass and bonito off the San Pedro break wall, this for sure was the best type of fishing for me. I think for the most part I spent the day trying to catch the crabs on the rocks :lol: instead of fishing. I recall having some very fun times on that breakwall.

Once I became older my father and I started going on the sport boats. Oh boy was this awesome! Here a fish there a fish, everywhere a fish-fish! This was so much fun... I spent most of my fishing years on the ocean. From Socal all the way down to Baja's Magdalena Bay. I've caught small bass all the way on up to some very big marlin. My most memerable saltwater fish I ever caught was a 71 lb Wahoo that dragged my @ss up the rail. I remember my rod carved a deep gash on the rail because the reel seat was resting on the rail as the wahoo zipped up towards the bow. The colors on the fish changed before my eyes. Electric blue to like a flourecent blue it's just incredible. I could still see that day clearly as if it happend yesterday.

It was not until a family friend invited me to the local stream up in the San Gabriel mountains, that I found the passion for fly fishing. I Headed back up to the local stream on a regular basis fishing with my spin rod and not catching much. I was amazed by the anglers that consistently caught fish after fish. I finally asked a guy how he was catching so many trout, the guy said he was using a fly rod and fly. * :? within a short time I spent my money on fly fishing equipment. The guy at Sport Chalet said I should get a 5wt :? I still have my first ever fly rod, it's a 2 pc 5wt St Croix. Not the best choice of rods, but that's all I could afford at the time, plus not knowing much about fly fishing. I recall flinging small little trout through the air as I set the hook, oops. I also recall fishing nothing but dries. Far cry from how I fish now, nothing but nymphs for the most part. I wish these forums were around back then, they would have helped with buying the proper gear from the start.

Fly fishing has been my passion ever since.
Benny

Postby Hammer » November 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm

Where did I come from? Gee, that's a good question..I have a few years on me, let's see if I can remember. Born and raised in So Cal, did time in Hunt Beach, SLO, Yorba Linda, Riverside, Lake Elsinore, Victorville. Did a little fishing when I was a kid mostly on vacations. We used to go up to Lake Isabella and fish the Kern, and a few times up to the June lake loop. My fondest memories are when my brother and I used to ride our bikes from Yorba Linda to the Mall of Orange and catch the bus to Seal Beach. We fished off the overpass bridge of the outflow channel. Made wooden floats out of broomsticks and would let the current take the float out rigged with an anchovy. The bonito would hammer it and the fight was on. Ever try and land a bonito from a bridge? Great fun but I can't believe my parents would let us wonder all over town like that. With roots in HB, spent lots of time at the beach surfing and soaking in the sun. Always loved the ocean.

Started a family and did not fish much after that. I used to watch fishing TV shows on Saturday mornings and it seemed like they were always fly fishing some beautiful river in Colorado. I can recall sitting in my office at work in Brea, Ca. around the age of 39 daydreaming that someday I will be fishing those waters. On my 40th birthday I took the family on a vacation to Colorado and that was all it took. I''ve been here 10 years and some how landed a job working for the Wright McGill Co. as their Logistics Mgr.

When I first moved out to Colorado I don't think my son and I caught a fish for an entire year. Started hanging out with some of the guys at work and they taught me their techniques and showed me their spots. Started fly fishing on the Arkansas river where the browns are not as technical then moved my way up. I also fished with my son for 3 seasons in a bass tournament circuit where our company sponsored us. We competed in Colorado, New Mexico, and Kansas. Learned lots about fish behavior. It was a great bonding experience for us and one of the happiest times of my life. We brought home a few checks along the way while we promoted Eagle Claw our products.

When we experienced the drought about 6 years ago I left the rivers alone and bought a float tube and started still water fishing with a fly rod. This has been my passion for a while now. Nothing like that thump you get while stripping a bugger or leech pattern on sinking line. Don't get me wrong, I sneak out a spinning rod now and then with a tube jig but I release all my fish. I find I use fishing as a way to ignore or put off my personal issues
and I get a good attitude adjustment from it. Our company within the last few years has developed some quality fly fishing products and I'm never too busy to do the product testing for them. Thanks to Craig and Aaron for promoting our Essentials rods and reels, it is really quality product at a great value. Craig, Chris, and Ryan are my nephews and even though we did not fish much in the early days, my plan is to fish with them more often. They are great kids (now men) and have a true love for the outdoors. When I fish I never get skunked, I just run out of time. :lol:
Hammer

Postby Benny » November 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm

Hammer wrote:When I fish I never get skunked, I just run out of time. :lol:

I like that :lol:
Benny

Postby outdoordavid » November 3rd, 2008, 8:59 pm

I being a native southern californian from the not so friendly side of town but with a dad from PA grew up fishing Baldy and Battle Creek as a kid but only until one of my two brothers feel in. Fishing then moved to "bigger and better" with salt water but that was LONG boat rides to Catalina or the likes. Fished a few times with Dave. THEN!!! a year ago Autodave comes to me and with all seriousness says "ok David, serious now what do you think, flyfishing the Sierras..." So in my typical adventurous attitude said, "sure I've read a few articles in some of my outdoor mags." What happened next is a whirlwind of learning, buying, messups and complete pleasure. With Autodave I have gone from knowing nothing a year ago to flyfishing, learning to tie flies, back backing, back backing the Sierras to fly fish and a whole lot of fun. I found out a few months ago my brother also flyfishes and I will have my first chance to fish with him on the Kern this week end. SOOOOOO, it's all fun from here!
outdoordavid

Postby rayfound » November 3rd, 2008, 11:09 pm

mtnguru wrote:First and foremost, Rayfound, I applaude you. This is one of the better threads I've read, it's held my attention for the last 30 minutes as I've gone through each response.

Thank Everyone who participated! I love that everyone so far has taken the time to really put some thought into transcribing their journey. I'm sure, like me, most of you enjoyed writing about your own as much as you're enjoying reading the stories of others.

This is truly the most interesting thread thus far on the board for me. Here's a couple of my favorite highlights:

Flybob catches his first fish on the fly, on spinning gear - while craig catches his first fish on a fly rod, with live bait!

Flybob's first is still one of the larger fish I've seen in his hands! (Sorry Bob)

Darrin's first fly-caught fish was a dink brookie - the species he still claims as his favorite of all.

Nearly all of us have had a "down time" we all attribute to business of life, marriage, etc...

keep em coming guys.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby flygirl » November 4th, 2008, 1:57 pm

I grew up in the midwest - Western Nebraska, Northwest Iowa and Southeastern South Dakota. Didn't get exposed to too much fishing and the only fishing I was exposed to was bait fishing a lake or something like that. Moved to So. Cal. in 1997 and fell in love with the local mountains and hiking trails. Still no fishing. Fast forward to early 2002 when I met Craig who I thought was crazy would wake up before dawn just to go fish and he thought I was crazy for enjoying a nice hike in the mountains with no fishing destination! Ha!

My first fishing outing with Craig was in March 2002 to Yuma, AZ for the bass spawn. However, there were no bass spawning. I think we saw one bass the whole time and he only took our lure after we dropped it on his head a million times and so he was just mad! We did a little bit of fishing at the stocked, pay to fish ponds with his daughter Ashley but I wasn't all that interested in fishing until July 2002. Craig and I, along with his brother Ryan took a backpacking trip over 4th of July weekend up in the high country of the Eastern Sierras. It was the most beautiful place I had seen and the hiking was a very good challenge. We climbed from 9,000 ft to 12,500 and spent a lovely weekend away from the crowds. We hit one of the lakes on the way to our destination that was at about 11,900 and there were so many golden trout in that lake it was amazing. We threw lures on spinning rods, but that is where I started to truly appreciate the love of fishing. I caught a fair amount of 8-12 inch goldens. Those fish were amazing and so beautiful. I was hooked - in so many ways (Craig and I got married only 4 short months after that trip). Since then, having a family has kept the fishing outings pretty limited but have enjoyed everyone of them. While we were in So. Cal, we mainly hit Lake Perris or Santa Ana River Lakes (I think that is what it is called). Since moving to Bakersfield last year, we have had more opportunity to get out fishing and our kids are older and more interested in fishing as well.

Started flyfishing just last November when Craig and I went out on the Kern and I had my first experience wading in the river. It was a great time and the Kern is beautiful when the fall colors come out. I didn't really care whether I caught stockers or not - I still don't. I just love to get out and fish. My favorite is still the small creeks using dry flys. I love to watch the fish get out of the water and slam the fly. I also like to be stealthy and sneak up on the fish and see where to target them better. It is also much easier for me to cast. But, last weekend I did have more time to practice on my nymphing and enjoyed it as well.

I look forward to getting more practice time in this year so that I can outfish Craig (ha, that just happened on Saturday....1-0 babe!) Anyway, that's my story!

What a great thread!

Lisa
I LOVE that MY HUSBAND thinks he gets away with stuff!
flygirl

Postby flybob » November 4th, 2008, 3:52 pm

flygirl wrote:I look forward to getting more practice time in this year so that I can outfish Craig (ha, that just happened on Saturday....1-0 babe!) Anyway, that's my story!

What a great thread!

Lisa

Hey Lisa, why is it you gals always have to point these things out? :lol:

When I first me my dear wife, 35 years ago, I taught her to shoot a rifle and handgun, not soon after, she was "outshooting" me........and made a point of it!
I still married her, and I still lover her dearly, and she can still outshoot me, I am afraid to introduce her to flyfishing! :?

Great job, great story!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby castaway » November 4th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Grew up in Northern California - fishing, hiking, camping, exploring (still a big kid)

From the Russian river to the Trinity and from the delta to the mountains.

One of my fondest childhood memories is of fishing with my dad. I once landed a 47 pound Salmon from the Trinity when I was just 8 years old. Talk about a proud Dad!

Even though I practiced CNR most of my life, I never gave much thought to trying fly fishing. For me, it was something other people did. But my first memory of fly fishing was when I was probably 12. I took a hike by myself into the fly-fishing only section of Hat Creek in Burney, ca. I remember watching a guy fly fish for a very long time. I was taken in by his rhythmic diligence, and the serenity of the place.

Well as I got older - life got in the way of being a kid. I joined the Military and moved to San Diego. At the time, I thought I had found better things to do with my time (chase women, play on the beach, travel to foreign lands). However, when I moved to Bakersfield for a job - I found the outdoor opportunities to be good. The first week here I traveled to Yosemite and hiked a little creek near the south west gate... spent all day on that creek spotting tiny fish (still not a fly fishermen).

Then one day in college, I ran into what would end up being a great friend. We had a few classes together in the past but never really got to talk. One day we were talking about "outdoor" stuff and he asked if I liked to hike, camp, etc. I said "* ya"
asked if I fished - said "* ya" asked if I fly-fished... Never tried.

Well my first time fly fishing - on my third cast landed a nice little brown from the upper, upper Kern River. Well to say the least - a thousand dollars worth of gear, over 100 trips, 6 fly rods (waiting for discounted 0wts, or other manufactures) and countless fish - I guess I have a hobby that has replaced all others.

Pretty much gave me an excuse to be outdoors - My excuse used to be to work out, run, hike, climb, etc... but fly fishing has taken over.

I usually spend about six days a month on the water.... if not more.

If it swims I will fish for it.

I have explored some of the most beautiful places in northern California - and now I have started exploring southern California....

I have learned that once you find the special place - all the exploring in the world leads you back to that same place...

I have a special creek on the west side here that is still my favorite spot.... not only because I can catch wild trout on almost every cast - but my spirit seems to be at home there... maybe I will get my ashes laid to rest there.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby tycaster » November 6th, 2008, 11:06 am

I grew up in San Dimas, in the shadow of the San Gabriel Mtns. The view from our living room window offered a perfect view of a certain peak which, in those days, was loaded with snow for a good third of the year. I know, relatively speaking, it sounds a little silly to refer to these SoCal mountains with a note of grandeur, so I won't quite go that far, but I will say that they framed my world. I didn't realize until I was in my twenties how true this was, when I moved to O.C for a couple years and felt lost. I could see them in the distance, but I didn't have to look up. And when I moved back a couple years after getting married, I felt I was home again. I'm a bit of a homebody, geographically speaking,but if I ever end up somewhere else, I know I'll need to be able to look up and see mountains. I get restless when I can't.

We had family who lived on Bass Lake so, every year, my Dad would take me to visit, hike, and fish. We always elected to camp, instead of stay over with someone, and my dad always made quite an effort to find the most remote campsites, usually beside a small stream. We would set off on trails all day. Or we would park the truck and strike out through trackless forest for hours, which always made me nervous, to put it lightly, fearing that we were hopelessly lost, not realizing that part of what he was doing was exercising old orienteering muscles that still held some memory from the mountains of Vietnam. Without fail, at the height of my inner anxiety, we would come through a clearing and see the truck, right there. And we caught trout. Lots of trout, always using salmon eggs. My first fish on our first trip was one that I didn't even catch. My dad, in the process of showing me how to cast, had landed a nice twelve inch rainbow and he conceded to five year old logic and said that since it was technically my cast, then it was my fish. I named him Sammy, and I cried the whole hike back to the campsite because I couldn't stand the thought of eating him. Because of this early history, I've always had a thing for small streams.

During my teens, we mostly dabbled in saltwater. A few halfday boats and a couple trips out of of San Diego or out to Catalina for Albacore or Yellowtail. And then, once I began working, there came a few years during which I didn't fish at all. Then I got a new partner at my ambulance job named Matt. He had flyfished quite a bit when he was younger and wanted to get back into it, but needed a cohort. So he gave me a pretty nice 5 wt. and a cheap reel. We would hit up the San Gabriel river alot, and occasionally bring our gear to work and strike off at 2 AM after our swing shift on turnaround trips to Bishop or the SF of the Kern. He taught me how to tie flies and gave me my first good vise. He got me hooked. And I can't thank him enough.

You know, when you were a kid, trying to get to sleep amid the threat of nightmares, and you found that one string of thought that always warded them off? Mine was baseball. And now, as a man, though nightmares no longer keep me awake, the details and issues of life often conspire to. But, just as then, I have a string of thought, an image, but a better one. Thigh deep in a river, or creeping along the bank of a stream, green mountains and blue skies and white clouds, flyrod in right hand and fly line in left, watching my dry fly drift along a seam, or next to an undercut, with something extraordinary about to happen..........and I sleep well.

God, I love flyfishing.

Ty
tycaster

Postby Benny » November 6th, 2008, 11:35 am

Wow all really great stories of where you came from. Keep them coming guys and galsImage
Benny

Postby flybob » November 6th, 2008, 12:19 pm

TY, that was an awesome read! I share your affinity for the the Gabes, I had and unobstructed view from my home in Pico Rivera, I played in the San Gabriel River just below the flood gates of the Whittier Narrows Dam. My favorite time of year was winter, I could sit in my backyard and stare at Mt. Wilson covered in white to it's base!

I just want to thank you for conjuring up those memories!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby fishlee » November 7th, 2008, 1:04 am

I Grew up in Orange County….

Fishing the piers and jetties, in Newport , Huntington and Dana Point… 10 years old , 5c for a live anchovy at the bait shack… Uncle Frank introduced me to Alamitos channel, and bonito… incoming tide would bring them in. Fishing was incredible, when the bonito came in and started to boil, it looked like you could walk on water… they would hit anything….. I caught fish on snap swivels. I was hooked for life!!

I started fresh water at the pay to fish lakes in orange county…when I was 14, I wanted McGill and Wright combo rod for Christmas . I read a book on fly fishing.. I bought a fly reel, a level line and fly tying kit with my paper route money.. I thought I could cast pretty good. All the articles and pictures in field and stream sure looked great….I tied a few flies, wool bugger and royal coachman….they didn’t look anything like the pictures…I didn’t know any one that fly fished so it took a backseat ,

I fishing with bait and lures on shore and off the coast. sand bass, rock fish, sharks ,ling cod ,yellowtail, sea bass, corbina,croakers, strippers, and tuna...I was introduced to eastern sierra and bait fished the lakes… 10 fish a day limit, 20 fish in possession.

20 years later, I was visiting Uncle Frank, he was going to learn fly casting for free at the Long Beach Casting Club… Uncle Joe was the casting captain at the pond…. I was in!

Instructors/ members at the club taught me to cast the right way, tie flies and fish .. volunteering and hanging around, fast tracked me to meeting great people and learning how to catch fish , on flies that I tied….

My first club trip was to the San Joaquin 1st fish on a fly was 9” rainbow on a olive soft hackle, it hooked itself …Sam and Peggy showed me how and pointed out the spot.

The next day on the San Joaquin Uncle Joe showed me dry fly fishing. At the 1st hole he caught 3 fish like that….I moved up stream to the next hole…I fished that spot for what seemed like 2 hours no fish…When Uncle Joe fished out his spot, he joined me, asking how I was doing ? OK ,I can feel the fish nibbling on my fly, but no fish yet…He watched me cast , that’s good, HIT IT he said. Hit what I said.. You see that blip in the water.. What blip??? Where you fly is… Where is my fly? After 5 minutes of instruction I could see the fly and rise… Oh that’s what you talking about duh…another 5 minutes and I finally got my timing down and first fish on an adams .. Wow I was gut hooked! I caught 15 fish that day…..

The next 3 years , I went on most of the club trips to the Mammoth and Bishop . My fishing buddies and
I‘ve explored in winter / fished ,the rest of the year, a lot of the rivers and creeks in So Cal and Eastern Sierra…

I like pocket water, fishing with new people….favorite rig, dry and a dropper…. I’ve been known to go to the dark side for big fish…meat fish for stockers…
fishlee
fishlee

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing