REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby Autodave » March 23rd, 2012, 7:38 pm

Welcome Yellowrock,your gonna find alot of good stuff here. Wait till you see some of the reports everybody posts-you will really want to get out there!
Autodave

Postby L. Ben Doe » March 23rd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Yellowrock,

Welcome aboard! You have quite an impressive fishing resume. Unfortunately, all those species you caught don't count anymore. You'll have to catch them all over again on the fly...

-LBD
L. Ben Doe

Postby Artin » March 23rd, 2012, 8:31 pm

"We fished the piers of Redondo Beach for Macks, Butts, Nitos and occasional Ray. On to High school, my best friend and I used to head out to the docks of Marina Del Rey and go after Yellowfin Croakers, Cudas, Nitos and Macks"

You mirrored my youth there... * it I'm still young. Ahh those were the days man I tell ya, fish for the mackerel off the Santa Monica pier on trout gear a 4-6 hook set up and cut squid.... That was back through Junior high... Talk about going down memory lane....

Welcome, kick them shoes off and relax a bit!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby npdes » March 31st, 2012, 7:57 am

Hello all! I was born and lived my whole life in Southern California. I grew up in El Monte, through high school. I used to fish the Peck Road Park Lake all the time. I lived in those condos right near the entrance in my youth. I would fish everything from bass, catfish, bluegill and stocker trout. As I got older, I was able to expand my fishing to include ocean fishing. I would go fishing on cattle boats for bass, barracuda, yellowtail, etc. Then about six years ago, I bought a kayak and have enjoyed kayak fishing when possible. But three years ago, my brother-in-law invited me and his other brothers to a fly fishing trip in Denver, Colorado. I bought a White River 5wt combo from Bass Pro Shops and had a great time. We fished Estes Park and I was hooked. I live in Azusa which is very close to a native trout stream. I eventually upgraded my outfit and hit the creek at least once a month. I've been lurking on the board for a few months now and love watching your "fish pron" and reports. This seems like a great community of fishing folks and I hope to meet up with some of you guys on the water someday!
npdes

Postby Reyne » March 31st, 2012, 9:34 am

Welcome, npdes. I can relate to all your past fishing experience...
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby Artin » March 31st, 2012, 12:21 pm

Wlcome to the board. It's an awesome place for knowledge and fishin' uddies. I love that creek too that you speak of. Most of us spend many days fishing it throughout the year to get our "fix"

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » April 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm

npdes wrote:Hello all! I was born and lived my whole life in Southern California. I grew up in El Monte, through high school. I used to fish the Peck Road Park Lake all the time. I lived in those condos right near the entrance in my youth. I would fish everything from bass, catfish, bluegill and stocker trout. As I got older, I was able to expand my fishing to include ocean fishing. I would go fishing on cattle boats for bass, barracuda, yellowtail, etc. Then about six years ago, I bought a kayak and have enjoyed kayak fishing when possible. But three years ago, my brother-in-law invited me and his other brothers to a fly fishing trip in Denver, Colorado. I bought a White River 5wt combo from Bass Pro Shops and had a great time. We fished Estes Park and I was hooked. I live in Azusa which is very close to a native trout stream. I eventually upgraded my outfit and hit the creek at least once a month. I've been lurking on the board for a few months now and love watching your "fish pron" and reports. This seems like a great community of fishing folks and I hope to meet up with some of you guys on the water someday!

Welcome aboard. You ever need to go east a bit further, look me up.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Devinpreston » April 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Hey guys just wanted to give some fishing background on myself, I have been looking at the site a lot but not posting much, so here we go. I started striper and cat fishing with my Dad at lake havasu when I was 3 or 4 and did that for a couple years, then my dad went to bridgeport when I was 8 and said when I got older I could go with guys, so when I was ten I got to go with the guys to bishop and I caught my first brown from the Lo and I was hooked :).after that every year we would go with my family to bishop and ski one day and fish pv and lo on the other days.
Then my dad met a guy on his long range trip that was a fly fishing guide with Sierra drifters ( Doug R ) and we came up and he taught us how to still water nymph and fish the rivers and me and my dad made the switch full time then and haven't looked back. We try to get up to the mammoth area at least a couple times during the winter but in the summer we leave our Rv's at Mcgee Creek campground from opening until October. I'm a pretty new fly tier I have been learning from some of the best though two bug Doug has shown me a lot and also Doug R.
I'm really interested in trying to fish more local, we fished Lnl a couple times and it was good but looking for something in sgv. Well that's pretty much all hope to see some of you on the water soon

Tight lines. Devin
Devinpreston

Postby darrin terry » April 12th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Welcome Devin! I see you joined in Dec. so hopefully you've had enough reading. Time to wade on in, eh? Looking forward to a report or three from you. I wish the east side were the west side so I did not have to limit my visits. Fantastic fishing opportunities over there.

It sounds like you've had a pretty good start to things so I am sure you'll be bringing plenty to the table here.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Devinpreston » April 12th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Thanks I def will be posting some reports!
Devinpreston

Postby Reyne » April 12th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Welcome, Devin. Sounds like you need connections locally, as I see you're hooked up north.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby WanderingBlues » April 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Devin, welcome to the party.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Devinpreston » April 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Why yes I do I was just looking at your report and thinking what * is bad wolf lake haha
Devinpreston

Postby WanderingBlues » April 12th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Devinpreston wrote:Why yes I do I was just looking at your report and thinking what * is bad wolf lake haha

You ever want to visit the San Bernardino mountains, let me know. I'll intro you to each fish personally, including this little fellow....

180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Devinpreston » April 12th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Yes sir I would love too my gparents have a house in big bear
Devinpreston

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing