REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby 1mocast » April 27th, 2012, 8:59 am

Welcome Swindle and Azure...Very Nice Bio's.

Its good to know others have this sickness...a Good Sickness. Enjoy.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Chironimo » April 30th, 2012, 6:45 pm

I started fly fishing 30 some years ago. Tried it, wasn't very good at it and put it away. After 20 some years
my oldest girl gets married to a non fisher, (yikes!) but to his credit he spotted all the tackle in my garage and
said he would like to try fly fishing. Well we broke it out and started again. Lots more fun with somebody else
who wants to enjoy it with you. That was about 10 years ago and now the garage is full of rods, tackle, float tubes you name it we got it. Fish from the surf in San Diego to the Yellowstone. Learn something new every day and can't wait to go again. Have a new son in law coming on board in July. Same thing another non fisher. ( I don't get it, both girls were raised with a rod intheir hand? He is a backpacker though and has shown the proper interest. The plan is when he gets back from the honeymoon the two boys and I are headed for a trip to the Sierras. . Makes Christmas shopping a breeze!

Looking forward to being part of the Fly Fishing Addicts and learning and sharing what I can. Here's to another 20 years of great fishing.

Chironimo !
Chironimo

Postby darrin terry » April 30th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Welcome Chironimo. Love the name by the way. :D

If the new son in law does get the bug, seeing as he's a backpacker, you might try turning him onto tenkara. In case you're unfamiliar it is a Japanese form of fly fishing which is rapidly gaining traction here in the States, especially among backpackers. No reel or fly line, just a rod, fluoro level line or furled line and fly.

Looking forward to your posts. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Welcome Chironimo! Great intro and look forward to some reports. Sounds like you cover a lot of water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby billybobburro » May 6th, 2012, 8:20 am

It all started a long time ago when my dad decided take my brother and I to try out some west coast trout fishing on some river call the Kern. My dad was in the navy had was just transferred to Pt. Mugu Naval Station and it was around 1972. We ended up camping in one of the many roadside campgrounds in what I guess is commonly called the 20 mile section. I was only about 6 then and typically would be left at camp to fend for myself with a worm hooked up and a few more for back up. After a day or two of fishing along the road my dad and brother tried a little hike above the bridge. My dad was so impressed with the improved fishing conditions that he decided we should try out a backpacking trip on the next visit. BTW, my dad was a navy pilot, had some "survival" training and knew all he needed to know about backpacking. We survived all right.

A few weeks later the three of us take off to backpack into the Kern canyon somewhere up above the bridge. My dad figured we could follow one of the streams to the river since it has to end up there eventually. After a day of climbing, slipping and falling our way to a deadend (cliff) we re-treat back up towards the car for the night. As we get to the car my dad spots a trail and 20 mins later says he knows how to get into the canyon. The next day we made our way down to the river in a little under an hour. Three days of spin and bait fishing bliss followed. The three of us where literally hooked on the Kern. Over the next few years we would make several trips per year into this very desolate canyon. On one of these trips we managed to find a solo hiker with a broken hip. He had spent 3 days crawling through the canyon hoping someone would find him. The California national guard ended up giving him a ride in a helicopter to the emergency room.

My older brother was the first of the family too pickup fly fishing. If I went camping with him then I had to leave the spin gear at home. He gave me his first fly pole for keeps. Once I got my driver's license and a car of my own (1984) I spent many summer days fishing the Kern and associated tribs. I realize that a fly would allow me to catch and release all day without mangling my prey and it was more fun anyways.

It is a bit of a drive for me now but I try to make it down to the Kern watershed at least once a year. BTW, what's with all the waders on the Kern these days during the warm months?

-Bill
billybobburro

Postby WanderingBlues » May 6th, 2012, 8:42 am

Welcome aboard. What a classic intro. Sounds like your dad was possessed with an adventurous spirit that he wanted to his kids to have. Look forward to reading your posts.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby cappo » June 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Hey Guys, my name is Juan and I'm a tackleholic. I found this site through someones FF blog. I recognize few names from other fishing (surf and S/W) forums. I was introduced to fishing by my grandfather when I lived up in Norcal. We used to target stripers and catfish. In my teens I moved to Santa Monica and stopped fishing, dont know why. 10yrs later I went camping at June lake and fell in love with fishing again :bananadance: . I slowly moved to saltwater fishing (boats and surf). After few years of that I wanted a new challenge so I took a casting class with Sierra Pacific Fly Fishers. And here I am. I have yet to land anything on the fly other than measly panfish. I've fished the surf and SG River a handful of times and came home in shame :doh: . I still dont know what I'm doing. Looking forward to fishing the sierras this summer. Hope to pick up a few tips from this site.
cappo

Postby darrin terry » June 7th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Welcome Juan. I'd not worry too much about not having landed anything yet. Spend a little time getting to know some of the good people here and I am sure you'll find some help getting things sorted out. Hang out, meet some new friends and catch some fish.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » June 8th, 2012, 12:12 am

Hey Juan 8-)

Not sure if we ever actually met, but I recognize you from SCSF.

Lots of info here. Do your homework and you'll start catching soon.

Cheers

Shane
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby mike.s » June 12th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Juan, welcome :rockon:
mike.s

Postby RippinLipsSince96 » July 3rd, 2012, 12:35 pm

Whats up guys,
Im a third generation fly fisher and picked up my first rod about 15 years ago. I can officially say I am addicted. Started out wading the banks of some awesome small lakes outside of Redding when I was a kid and since then have been moving all around the north state fishing where ever theres room to cast. Most of my fishing is out of a float tube or drift boat on fresh waters, but I also recently started fishing the surf around the bay area (with little luck so far). Anyway look forward to contributing to the board.
-Craig
RippinLipsSince96

Postby WanderingBlues » July 3rd, 2012, 3:11 pm

Craig, welcome aboard. Look forward to seeing some Norcal reports.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby highsierratrout » July 14th, 2012, 10:54 am

My name is Jeremy and I'm a flyfishaholic, haha. On a serious note, I have been fishing since I was a kid with my dad and 3 brothers throughout the western US (WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, UT CO, NV, AZ, mostly CA) and one trip in Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I started really fly fishing on parts of the Gallatin River outside of Bozeman, MT while in college about 15 years ago, but then stopped once I moved back to S. CA and finished college. I fly fished on and off over the past several years, but I really got back into fly fishing about 6 months ago and now predominately fly fish with my two tenkara rods - Fountainhead 330 and Tenkara USA Amago. I have recently started teaching my wife and kids to fly fish in both tenkara and with my old fly rod and rell, and they love it. I'm also very conservation minded and love being in nature, and always strive to leave no mark behind from my fishing, camping, hiking trips. I'm looking to learn as much as possible, and find some local waters where my tenkara pole can be useful and I can show my kids the beauty of the outdoors and teach them conservationism and environmentalism.
highsierratrout

Postby Wildman » July 14th, 2012, 11:35 am

Welcome to all the new members. No matter what your experience level, you'll find someone and something here for everyone. Haven't caught a fish on a fly yet? No worries....I fished for two seasons with only one fish to my credit. After finally introducing myself to members and going fishing, I started learning and catching fish. Looking forward to your posts and hope to see you on the water.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » July 14th, 2012, 11:45 am

Welcome to FFA Jeremy!
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing