REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby Rob909 » September 6th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Chris....Creekman is now DrCreek.

He is here with the rest of us. Just send him a PM.

Rob
Rob909

Postby Papasequoia » September 6th, 2012, 8:27 pm

tyflier wrote:BTW...anyone know where Creekman is? Haven't seen Mike in years, but I know he is still up here fishing when he can. I need to get back on the water with him, too, so if anyone knows how to get in touch with him, or wants to pass my contact info along, let me know. I can give you my phone number in PM so he can call me when he's coming through again, or whatever... :rockon:

Who? :lol: Boy, it has been a while! I think it was Ariel (fflutterffly) who once wrote a reply to one of his posts that he could be a doctor of streams with all of his knowledge, so he changed his handle to DrCreek. He is very definitely still around and will probably see your posts shortly and give you a hard time for disappearing. After all, with Barrie now retired to Florida it has been only him holding together the name of ETC (Eastern Tyflier Creek). :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tyflier » September 6th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
tyflier wrote:BTW...anyone know where Creekman is? Haven't seen Mike in years, but I know he is still up here fishing when he can. I need to get back on the water with him, too, so if anyone knows how to get in touch with him, or wants to pass my contact info along, let me know. I can give you my phone number in PM so he can call me when he's coming through again, or whatever... :rockon:

Who? :lol: Boy, it has been a while! I think it was Ariel (fflutterffly) who once wrote a reply to one of his posts that he could be a doctor of streams with all of his knowledge, so he changed his handle to DrCreek. He is very definitely still around and will probably see your posts shortly and give you a hard time for disappearing. After all, with Barrie now retired to Florida it has been only him holding together the name of ETC (Eastern Tyflier Creek). :D

I was out at ETC 2 nights ago and pulled a 17" brown, third cast. I was so thrilled, I didn't even keep track of the smaller 10-12" bows and hybrids I was getting...

I'm gonna shoot him a note real quick...
tyflier

Postby DrCreek » September 7th, 2012, 6:57 am

Morrison ! PM sent !!!!!!!!

There's alot to tell you. Better off doing it via PM, cell call or in person.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby 1mocast » September 7th, 2012, 7:01 am

Chris,
Welcome back.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby DrCreek » September 7th, 2012, 9:15 am

For those of you that don't know Chris (or think you might, but aren't sure) here is one of the few pics I have of him. A great guy and terrific fly thrower. If you get the chance, go spend some time on the water with him.

Welcome back, dude ! Stick around this time !!

"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby tyflier » September 7th, 2012, 6:42 pm

DrCreek wrote:For those of you that don't know Chris (or think you might, but aren't sure) here is one of the few pics I have of him. A great guy and terrific fly thrower. If you get the chance, go spend some time on the water with him.

Welcome back, dude ! Stick around this time !!

I do not have a mustache in this picture, though it sure looks like one. Ironically, I do now wear a mustache and beard now, several years later...

I'm here, Mike. I've been waiting for my kid to be old enough to either bring with me, or leave at moms(by her choice) to enjoy myself on the water. It's been FAR too long...
tyflier

Postby Papasequoia » September 7th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Haha, I remember that hat! The first time I met Chris was at either the first or second rendezvous. I arrived at the campground early and saw this guy sitting by himself at a picnic table wearing this massive cowboy hat. We kind of looked at each other as I unloaded some stuff from the car. 'I wonder if he is here for the rendezvous?' I asked myself. 'Maybe I should go introduce myself?' But I didn't go over, and he didn't come over to my site. Then a couple of hours later someone introduced us and I realized that this was someone I had known from the internet for a fair amount of time but never met in person. Well, I felt kind of foolish that I hadn't gone over to start with, but as many of you know I have a pretty shy and retiring personality so I didn't. :roll:

It's funny to think now about how many years some of us have known each other, both in person and electronically because of fly fishing forums. Time sure flies. My youngest just passed his driving test today and it seems like only yesterday that he and his brother were out in the meadow with Mike at the first GTW gathering (and that was the first time I met him) getting some casting lessons. Both boys driving, and when I moved here the youngest was only 5 months old. I feel old. It's a good thing red wine has restorative powers over aging. ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tyflier » September 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm

I remember the first Kern River Rendezvous. What a hoot! And the first GTW gathering, graciously hosted by DrCreek himself. That may have been the same time frame the Barrie, Mike, and I christened Eastern Tyflier Creek...

Yup...time flies...My daughter turned 1 the year of the first GTW gathering...
tyflier

Postby matt » October 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Not sure if this is the intro section or not, but figured it was as good as any other place to start!

I grew up on a fish farm in the San Joaquin Valley outside of Fresno, so I was exposed to fish and fishing at a young age. Did a lot of warmwater conventional fishing for bass and bluegill and catfish in the farm ponds, as well as a few trips up into Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks for colorful little stream trout.

In the middle of high school, a combination of a family vacation to Alaska to visit an aunt and uncle who were park rangers at Glacier Bay National Park and a backpacking trip into the Sierra really instigated and established my love for trout fishing. I had caught my first fish on a fly at the age of 7, but this was different. I was hooked.

I spent a lot of time in high school and on breaks from college fishing the Lower Kings (at 15 minutes away from my house, this was my local water), but gradually my focus shifted more and more toward the higher alpine fisheries. More fish, easier to catch, prettier, and fewer people around. I began coordinating fishing/backpacking trips with college buddies on fall weekends, and always did a few longer trips with my father each year. That sense of exploration and discovery is great when it comes to backcountry trout fishing, as there are so many lakes and relatively little information known about them.

Now I primarily fish backcountry lakes in the Sierra. I'm not a purist; I fly fish and spin fish as the situation dictates, as often there are no fish within fly casting range at many of the large, deep, sterile alpine lakes I visit. Still, my favorite kind of fishing remains sight-fishing dry flies for large cruising alpine trout. These are the moments I live for, and the memories I treasure afterward, and the experiences I seek to replicate on each new trip.

Cheers,
Matt
Some backcountry fishing trips: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
matt

Postby Gary C. » October 8th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Matt, I'm glad to see you over here. You should see several names you are familiar with.
Gary C.

Postby darrin terry » October 8th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Welcome Matt! Looks like you'll fit pretty well around here. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby 1mocast » October 9th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Matt,
Welcome to the addicts site.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby WanderingBlues » October 9th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Welcome to FFA Matt! Look forward to reading some good TR's. Anything with Sierra's and trout is good in my book.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby ifishinxs » November 9th, 2012, 9:02 am

I grew up in Sunny Southern California. I've been a fishing addict since I was 6 yrs old. (for any of you in Riverside county, does Fairmount park ring a bell) I continued in my addiction from the sweet water to the salt water. I have run charters on various boats out of most landings in Southern Californa. I worked for a season as a guide on the Sea of Cortez out of the Bahia De Los Angeles. I ran my 25ft Mako CC out of San Diego for several years. I have fished for most everything that swims at one point or another. I've been a custom rod builder for over 30 yrs. I was fortunate enough to live only a few miles from Diamond Valley reservior that last few years before I retired. This lake brought me back to my sweet water roots.

I retired in 2009 and moved out of Southern California ( whew!) and now reside in Cedar City, Utah. This is truely an outdoorsmans paradise. I recently just picked the fly rod back up and have become addicted all over again. I have some of the best rivers and creeks in the nation to fish on...I'm pretty lucky. I hope to be able to share some of my adventures and learn from the vast knowlege available on this board.

One thing I have learned in all my years is that you NEVER know everything. Fishing is an never ending learning adventure.
Fishing is not just something I do. Its who I am!
ifishinxs

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing